Simple Genius by David Baldacci

Simple Genius (edition 2007)

by David Baldacci

Member:Kathy89
Title:Simple Genius
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Warner Books (2007), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 420 pages
Tags:(fiction) mystery, audiobook

Simple Genius by David Baldacci

English (45)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (50)
Simple Genius was told in a simple vocabulary and in simple terms. I remember quite little of it, although because of some salient stuff, I won't confuse it with any other book. A more demanding reader or maybe someone of greater intelligence will not be impressed by Simple Genius. For the first half of it, I was thoroughly entertained. I thought 5 stars were a given. But Baldacci couldn't sustain the ethereal and intangible schema that made the book impossible to put down. The ingredients into the making of a page turner are untraceable for me. Word after simple word, sentence after sentence are put together in such a fashion as to make the book a delight to read. In the hands of another author, I'm sure the plot would have resulted in a different finished product. I can't begin to say how much bedazzled but grateful I am.

I was reluctant to give Simple Genius a go. I thought that prior to 2010, Baldacci was inconsistent. Also he possibly still can misfire or prove to be uninspired. But maybe one needs to read a handful of his works to find him irresistible. Having said that, I am far from having blinding faith in maybe my most favorite author. Before tagging Simple Genius as the next to be read book, I read some reviews of the book and didn't like all that I read. Well, the ending was much better than I thought it would be. Romantic people, at least those that don't stick to romance novels, will take much heart from the ending. I do think that's misleading. I will be very surprised if King and Maxwell become a couple.

I've been reading another book along with this one. A fantasy book. That book has a hero who is super intelligent and precocious. There's a difference between him and the characters of Baldacci. The latter's characters are easier to like. Just like the hero of the fantasy novel, King and Maxwell are above average. Here end the similarities. King and Maxwell are a detective team. They seek out danger in the course of making a living. They are vulnerable. But the fantasy hero is overpowered - not in the bad way. Everything bad happens to him. That makes him, in my eyes, as a Gary Stu, or Marty Stu. It all comes down to preference and to how many people like the same thing. The fantasy book I'm speaking of is more highly rated and liked than our book. What can I say, I can only talk freely from my own point of view.

I started reading Simple Genius as a distraction before getting down to the business of reading a series of Urban Fantasy books that's very popular these days. But now that I've read Baldacci's book, the shoe is on the other foot and I can't let go. The sole reason for moving on is that I know Baldacci has not written a ton of books. I must pace myself. Baldacci publishes one book every year. Along with my desire to read another Camel Club book, I hope to be able to follow, and like, all of the good books that this author releases. It's an advantage when one's go to author is not much older than yours truly. This means that we have more in common than, say, a Matt Groening, a James Cameron, or a John LeCarre. It all boils down to preference and the existence of a writing style that Baldacci has cracked and is compatible with me and people who think like me. Not knowing how to crack the same code, I do the next best thing...I read. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jan 10, 2015 |
Yet another so-so read in the series. I am a great fan of stories involving codes and cyphers, which I thought this story would be. Instead it was a protracted whodunit investigation with a lot of smoke and mirrors, which would have otherwise been fine, if it had finished with a 'bang' -- which somewhat disappointingly, this book, did not. The ending was somewhat anti-climatic for me. While I still have the last book in this series to read, it would only be fair to say that, (so far) it is this series that does not agree with me because I loved the 'Camel Club' series by the same author. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Not bad. This series (Michele Maxwell/Sean) doesn't interest me as much as the Camel Club.
  aujames95 | Jul 7, 2014 |
1344 yen at Tokyo airport. Read 12/11/07.

One of my favourite Baldaccis! ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
Another solid thriller from Mr. Baldacci. He's a master at plot intricacies and weaving subplots into a story that at first have you wondering where he's going with this idea, but at the end he brings all the subplots together so they make sense and have a bearing on the main plot.

King and Maxwell are a dynamic, interesting pair. Not sure I'm crazy about Maxwell, but at least she's compelling. King is solid, got-your-back, dependable if not brilliant private eye. He provides a good foil for Maxwell's erratic, emotional persona.

If you're a Baldacci fan, or a thriller fan, you'll enjoy this book. Highly recommended. ( )
  ChrisNorbury | Apr 17, 2014 |
To my dear friend Maureen Egen,
May the days be long and the seas calm.
There are four acknowledged ways of meeting your maker: You can die by natural causes including illness; you can die by accident; you can die by another's hand; and you can die by your own hand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044661873X, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world of secrets, human genius is power.

And sometimes it is simply deadly...

A three-hour drive from Washington, D.C., two clandestine institutions face each other across a heavily guarded river. One is the world's most unusual laboratory, whose goals and funding are a mystery. The other is an elite CIA training camp shrouded in secrecy. Now a man and a woman are about to run a gauntlet between these two puzzle factories, straight into a furious struggle to exploit a potentially world-shattering discovery--and keep some other secrets underwraps forever...

Former secret service agents turned private investigators Sean King and Michelle Maxwell have seen their lives splinter around them. Michelle lies unconscious ina hospital bed after a night of suicidal violence. And Sean is forced to take on a thankless investigation into the mutder of a scientist just inside the CIA's razor-wire fence near Williamsburg, Virginia.

Soon he is uncovering layer after layer of disinformation that shields a stunning world filled with elite mathematics, physicists, war heroes, spies, and deadly field agents. Amid more murder, a seemingly autistic girl's extraordinary genius, and a powerful breakthrough in the realm of classified codes, Sean soon learns enough to put his life at risk. Now more than ever, he needs Michelle--at her best--to help stop a conspiracy of traitors operating in the shadow of the White House itself.

From Michelle's courageous struggle to defeat her long-buried personal demons to a
centuries-old secret that surfaces in the heat of action, SIMPLE GENIUS pulses with stunning, high-intensity suspense. The heroes of Split Second and Hour Game, David Baldacci's #1 New York Times bestsellers, are back--as you've never seen them before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:15 -0400)

After checking into a psychiatric institution, former Secret Service agent Michelle Maxwell is worriedly monitored by partner Sean King, who distracts himself with a murder investigation at a genius enclave where a sophisticated microprocessor is being developed.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,164,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible