Cop Hater (Crime Essentials) by Ed McBain

Cop Hater (Crime Essentials) (original 1956; edition 2003)

by Ed McBain

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Cop Hater (Crime Essentials)
Authors:Ed McBain
Info:
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Crime, 87th Precinct, TBR

Cop Hater by Ed McBain (1956)

Mine is a 1989 edition by Books On Tape. Not abridged, read by Paul Shay who added absolutely NOTHING to the book. Actually, his voice just sucked. It wasn't a bad novel, although dated. That added to & subtracted from it, but more adds, IMO. I got a little tired of McBain explaining things that we've come to take for granted like fingerprints, but I guess some of the stuff wasn't common knowledge back when he wrote it. It really added to the atmosphere & tone, though.

The tone of the book is dogged. It's hot, damn hot. The city is cooking & on the edge when a cop is killed. The investigation starts & goes on. The cops are snatching at rags & being complete jerks about every thread they can find, but they keep trudging along. They don't have electronic data, just file cards, etc... No Internet, cell phones or anything. How did they solve anything? Sheer brute determination.

Unfortunately, when read in Shay's monotone, I wanted to scream after a while. It was too depressing & not going anywhere. I almost didn't continue, but heard the book was good. I'm glad I hung in there. It was. It might have even been worth another star if the reader hadn't made me want to cut my throat. So, I'll look for another by this author, if not by this reader. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I've read a number of 87th Precinct novels over the years, but I have never read the first book in the series until now. It's almost stunning how good it is, even more than 50 years after its original publication. I only knocked it down from five stars because of a couple of small, dated elements and an almost-too-quick conclusion. ( )
  johnplatt | Aug 27, 2013 |
I would have given this a higher rating if I were reading this in the 50s. Now it's mainly an interesting record of the initial stage of the procedural mystery; little detecting going on, much "mood." ( )
  cherilove | Jun 27, 2013 |
For some reason I never got around to reading any of the 87th Precinct books before now. The first at least is somewhat different than the usual telling of a mystery tale, and was interesting to read. I liked it. Think I'll try a few more for sure! ( )
  GTTexas | Feb 15, 2013 |
Fascinating to re-read this 87th Precinct debut after so many years. Its simple plot and pulp fiction style give little indication of the more complex books to come. That said McBain's ear for dialogue is apparent right from the start and this is an undoubted page-turner. His cops are flawed, but likeable and a number of the series' recurring charactersbegin their stories here. ( )
  SteveAldous | May 23, 2012 |

From the publisher: Swift, silent, and deadly - someone is knocking off the 87th Precinct's finest, one by one. The how of the killings is obvious: three .45 shots from the dark add up to one, two, three very dead detectives. The why and the who are the Precinct's headaches now. When Detective Reardon is found dead, motive is a big question mark. But when his partner becomes victim number two, it looks like open-and-shut grudge killings. That is, until a third detective buys it. With one meager clue, Detective Steve Carella begins his grim search for the killer, a search that takes him into the city's underworld to a notorious brothel, to the apartment of a beautiful and dangerous widow, and finally to a .45 automatic aimed straight at his head...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671775472, Mass Market Paperback)

THE HEROES OF THE CITY'S STREETS BECOME THE HUNTED -- IN THIS CRIME FICTION CLASSIC

ED MCBAIN'S FIRST 87th PRECINCT NOVEL

Swift, silent, and deadly -- someone is knocking off the 87th Precinct's finest, one by one. The how of the killings is obvious: three .45 shots from the dark add up to one, two, three very dead detectives. The why and the who are the Precinct's headaches now.

With one meager clue, Detective Steve Carella begins his grim search for the killer, a search that takes him into the city's underworld to a notorious brothel, to the apartment of a beautiful and dangerous widow, and finally to a .45 automatic aimed straight at his head....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:14 -0400)

When Detective Reardon is found dead, motive is a big question mark. But when his partner becomes victim number two, it looks like open-and-shut grudge killings. That is, until a third detective is murdered. With one meagre clue, Detective Steve Carella begins his grim search for the killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,418,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible