Cop Hater (Crime Essentials) by Ed McBain

Cop Hater (Crime Essentials) (original 1956; edition 2003)

by Ed McBain

5582017,869 (3.52)45
Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Cop Hater (Crime Essentials)
Authors:Ed McBain
Info:Orion (2003), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Crime, 87th Precinct, TBR

Cop Hater by Ed McBain (1956)

English (19)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
Very old fashioned police procedural, but not bad. ( )
  fhudnell | Dec 18, 2015 |
This first book in the 87th Precinct series is a landmark in the mystery genre. It was the first mystery in which the hero wasn't an individual cop but a whole precinct & it was also the first to be set in a realistic but fictional city. This series paved the way for many other novels and also TV shows such as Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and others.

Given that significance, I was a bit generous with my rating. The actual plot was engrossing but I was able to figure out the solution about 3/4 of the way through -- although if I had been reading it in 1956 I might not have! One feature I have not run across before was the images of police forms and documents -- that was cool!

Oh, and this Kindle edition had a hilarious typo, when in the autopsy report of the first victim says "Approximate weight 210 pounds; height 28.9 cm." (my underlining) This makes Michael Reardon about 11 inches tall!!! It is a strange typo too as it couldn't be 289 cm as that would make him over 8 feet tall! Either a humunculus or a giant it would seem - LOL! ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 3, 2015 |
Mine is a 1989 edition by Books On Tape. Not abridged, read by Paul Shay who added absolutely NOTHING to the book. Actually, his voice just sucked. It wasn't a bad novel, although dated. That added to & subtracted from it, but more adds, IMO. I got a little tired of McBain explaining things that we've come to take for granted like fingerprints, but I guess some of the stuff wasn't common knowledge back when he wrote it. It really added to the atmosphere & tone, though.

The tone of the book is dogged. It's hot, damn hot. The city is cooking & on the edge when a cop is killed. The investigation starts & goes on. The cops are snatching at rags & being complete jerks about every thread they can find, but they keep trudging along. They don't have electronic data, just file cards, etc... No Internet, cell phones or anything. How did they solve anything? Sheer brute determination.

Unfortunately, when read in Shay's monotone, I wanted to scream after a while. It was too depressing & not going anywhere. I almost didn't continue, but heard the book was good. I'm glad I hung in there. It was. It might have even been worth another star if the reader hadn't made me want to cut my throat. So, I'll look for another by this author, if not by this reader. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I've read a number of 87th Precinct novels over the years, but I have never read the first book in the series until now. It's almost stunning how good it is, even more than 50 years after its original publication. I only knocked it down from five stars because of a couple of small, dated elements and an almost-too-quick conclusion. ( )
  johnplatt | Aug 27, 2013 |
I would have given this a higher rating if I were reading this in the 50s. Now it's mainly an interesting record of the initial stage of the procedural mystery; little detecting going on, much "mood." ( )
  cherilove | Jun 27, 2013 |
This new edition of the very first 87th Precinct novel is dedicated to my dearest darling wife--Dragica Dimitrijevic-Hunter
From the river bounding the city on the north, you saw only the magnificent skyline.

From the publisher: Swift, silent, and deadly - someone is knocking off the 87th Precinct's finest, one by one. The how of the killings is obvious: three .45 shots from the dark add up to one, two, three very dead detectives. The why and the who are the Precinct's headaches now. When Detective Reardon is found dead, motive is a big question mark. But when his partner becomes victim number two, it looks like open-and-shut grudge killings. That is, until a third detective buys it. With one meager clue, Detective Steve Carella begins his grim search for the killer, a search that takes him into the city's underworld to a notorious brothel, to the apartment of a beautiful and dangerous widow, and finally to a .45 automatic aimed straight at his head...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671775472, Mass Market Paperback)

THE HEROES OF THE CITY'S STREETS BECOME THE HUNTED -- IN THIS CRIME FICTION CLASSIC

ED MCBAIN'S FIRST 87th PRECINCT NOVEL

Swift, silent, and deadly -- someone is knocking off the 87th Precinct's finest, one by one. The how of the killings is obvious: three .45 shots from the dark add up to one, two, three very dead detectives. The why and the who are the Precinct's headaches now.

With one meager clue, Detective Steve Carella begins his grim search for the killer, a search that takes him into the city's underworld to a notorious brothel, to the apartment of a beautiful and dangerous widow, and finally to a .45 automatic aimed straight at his head....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

When Detective Reardon is found dead, motive is a big question mark. But when his partner becomes victim number two, it looks like open-and-shut grudge killings. That is, until a third detective is murdered. With one meagre clue, Detective Steve Carella begins his grim search for the killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,233,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible