A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis…

A Child's Garden of Verses (1885)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Other authors: Erik Blegvad (Illustrator)

5,518811,212 (4.15)1 / 108

Age Range: 4-8
Grade Level: Preschool-3
This is a collection of sixty-six poems, that recalls the childhood of the author from sailing boats down a river, to waiting fir the lamplighter to sailing off to foreign land in his imagination.
Read this book and discover the happy and magical world of childhood. ( )
  lewisl6 | May 14, 2019 |
I enjoy this book more than the rating would imply. I had an abridged copy that I read for years, and this is my first crack at a larger version with different illustrations and more poems.

I would say how much one enjoys this book is dependent on personal taste. The poems are calm, for the most part, and the settings are largely pastoral and idyllic. Many of the poems are based on a child's observations of the world, and how it might change from different physical perspectives, or imaginary ones. This is a collection that ultimately encourages imagination. It's good reading for bedtime, or to a quiet or calm child that likes to read or think. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Feb 6, 2019 |
I spent a lot of time with my head in this book, and I find even now I see few of the poems in this book anywhere else. The pages are pretty busy, with drawings taking up space right up to the words of the poem where-ever it is on the page. It's a good book for a child with a natural love of poetry. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Dec 22, 2018 |
This was given to me in 1977 by my good friend Melanie from Pittsburgh, who was replacing one of the few books I owned in childhood. The illustrations have been seared into my memory since I was five. Robert Louis Stevenson's poems are just right for children to wonder and to love. More than forty years later, I have to say--Thanks, Melanie! ( )
  deckla | Nov 13, 2018 |
Most of these poems were timeless. They were written for and about children from the 1800's, but can apply to children in 2018. Examples include poems about bed time, playing, imagination, and adventures. That being said, there are some poems that are not culturally acceptable in 2018. I think that this book of poetry can be used as a great teaching tool. It is also a great chance to show students how far we have come. ( )
  heidimaxinerobbins | Jul 7, 2018 |
Joni Lucas (Children's Literature)
Stevenson's poems and stories are American classics. Poems about rain, foreign lands, travel, windy nights, shadows, swings, cows, the moon and other fanciful things and places fill up this beautifully illustrated book of poems that would make a great gift for new parents. Tasha Tudor's watercolor illustrations help convey the historical flavor of Stevenson's work and conjure up images of simpler times for children. 1999 (orig. 1981), Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, $18.00. Ages All.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Joni Lucas

Scott, Janet LauraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Jessie WilcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trimmer, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alison Cunningham, from her boy.
In winter I get up at night and dress by yellow candle-light.
(Little Golden Books edition)
A birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon the window sill,
Cocked his shining eye and said,
"Ain't you 'shamed, you sleepy-head!"
(Thomas Kinkade edition)
Bring the comb and play upon it!
Marching, here we come!
It is very nice to think
The world is full of meat and drink
With little children saying grace
In every Christian knd of place.

Here is a delightful look at childhood, written by master poet and storyteller Robert Louis Stevenson. In this collection of sixty-six poems, Stevenson recalls the joys of his childhood, from sailing boats down a river, to waiting for the lamplighter, to sailing off to foreign lands in his imagination. Tasha Tudor's watercolor paintings evoke a simpler time in the past, and celebrate two of the things she loves most -- children and nature. Her talents are the perfect match for these inspiring poems, making this a handsome gift edition that will be cherished by families for generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

A collection of poems evoking the world and feelings of childhood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible