A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert…

A Child's Garden of Verses (original 1885; edition 1931)

by Robert Louis (Illustrated By Florence Storer) Stevenson

3,931621,310 (4.12)1 / 78
Member:mirrordrum
Title:A Child's Garden of Verses
Authors:Robert Louis (Illustrated By Florence Storer) Stevenson
Info:Charles Scribner's Sons (1931), Hardcover

A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson (1885)

Summary:

A Child’s Garden of Verses is a book comprised of many different short children’s poems about childhood. In this book there are sixty-six different poems that children all around the world can relate to. Many of the poems are about nature, the world and fantasy play. All written by Robert Louis Stevenson, he retells the stories of his childhood in poem form. There are poems about seasons, imaginary characters, traveling, boats, planes, bedtime, animals, nature, family, etc.

Comments (opinions/arguments):

I find this book to be very wonderful and useful because it’s simple and beautifully illustrated. Although it’s simple, the poems have a lot of depth, meaning and relation to childhood. I really like that the author wrote a wide variety of poems, ones that could be realistic and ones that are imaginary. I think this book could be really fun for children who are learning about poems because it offers poems that are very short and simple, as well as ones that are longer and more complicated. I think this book could serve as a good guide for children learning to write their own poems. I also like that all the poems are about different aspects of childhood and that they’re grouped together in different chapters. The wide variety of poems about nature, family, travel, imagination and childhood are great for children to learn about the world around them. I think this books central message is to help children become more familiar with poem styles of writing and to encourage children to use their creativity and imagination. ( )
  BrookeMattingly | Nov 5, 2014 |
While trying to get some semblance of order for my books, I found this rare gem. Copyrighted in 1900, the paper is older and semi glossy; the illustrations are simple and lovely. My copy is in poor condition, but none of the pages are missing.

It was incredibly delightful to spend time savoring each delightful poem. While simply written, each sentence paints a lush portrait of serenity and reminds the reader of a childhood of dreams and time spent exploring through the imagination. Many of the missives contain images of night and sleeping.

Here is one of my favorites:

North-West Passage

When the bright lamp is carried in,
The sunless ours again begin;
O'er all without, in field and lane,
The haunted night returns again.

Now we behold the embers flee
About the firelit hearth; and see
Our faces painted as we pass,
Like pictures, on the window-glass.

Must we go to bed indeed? Well then,
Let us arise and go like men,
And face with an undaunted tread
The long black passage up to bed.

Farewell, O brother, sister, sire!
O pleasant party round the fire!
The songs you sing, the tales you tell,
Till far to-morrow, fare ye well! ( )
  Whisper1 | Sep 22, 2014 |
This book is a must and I love Gyo's beautiful, child-like illustrations. "The Land of Counterpane" is a particular favorite- this is childhood as it is meant to be, not stuck in front of a television or attached to a device. Children and parents alike will be transported to a sleepier, gentler land. ( )
  aconant | Jun 7, 2014 |
Summary: This was a book full of poems for young children. They were all short poems and generally about children swinging as high as they could. There were also poems about climbing trees an farm animals. It is a very nature type poem book.

Personal Reaction
Children's poems are generally always fun, and this one definitely was. It is very uplifting book that many kids can relate too. The poems reminded me of when I was a kid and thought I was on top of the world, but then something would happen and I would feel down, this book could lift me back up and hopefully lead me to want to go enjoy the nature!

Extension Ideas
1. The children could pick their favorite poem from the collection and draw a picture to represent it.
2. The children could write their own very short poem.
3. The children could bring a poem from home or that they find online to the next class that they like, to discuss.
  KendraAdams | Apr 23, 2014 |
This edition has the classic Charles Robinson illustrations, which though having a certain charm, are like a cross between Mabel Lucie Attwell and Aubrey Beardsley....
There are some well-known delightful classics in here, but I could not help reflecting on what life was like for the children of the time who did not have nannies, well to do fathers, and elegant mammas: not so safe and cosy for them.
  PollyMoore3 | Feb 13, 2014 |
Joni Lucas (Children's Literature)
Stevenson's poems and stories are American classics. Poems about rain, foreign lands, travel, windy nights, shadows, swings, cows, the moon and other fanciful things and places fill up this beautifully illustrated book of poems that would make a great gift for new parents. Tasha Tudor's watercolor illustrations help convey the historical flavor of Stevenson's work and conjure up images of simpler times for children. 1999 (orig. 1981), Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, $18.00. Ages All.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Joni Lucas

Smith, Jessie WilcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trimmer, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webbe, ElizabethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alison Cunningham, from her boy.
In winter I get up at night and dress by yellow candle-light.
(Little Golden Books edition)
A birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon the window sill,
Cocked his shining eye and said,
"Ain't you 'shamed, you sleepy-head!"
It is very nice to think / The world is full of meat and drink / With little children saying grace / In every Christian knd of place.

Here is a delightful look at childhood, written by master poet and storyteller Robert Louis Stevenson. In this collection of sixty-six poems, Stevenson recalls the joys of his childhood, from sailing boats down a river, to waiting for the lamplighter, to sailing off to foreign lands in his imagination. Tasha Tudor's watercolor paintings evoke a simpler time in the past, and celebrate two of the things she loves most -- children and nature. Her talents are the perfect match for these inspiring poems, making this a handsome gift edition that will be cherished by families for generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:44 -0400)

A collection of poems evoking the world and feelings of childhood.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,356,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible