A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert…

A Child's Garden of Verses (original 1885; edition 1931)

by Robert Louis (Illustrated By Florence Storer) Stevenson

3,953631,297 (4.14)1 / 83
Title:A Child's Garden of Verses
Authors:Robert Louis (Illustrated By Florence Storer) Stevenson
Info:Charles Scribner's Sons (1931), Hardcover

A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson (1885)

This is one of the first books I read while I was still in grade school. It was part of the reading of Robert Louis Stevenson that made him one of my lifetime favorite authors. "I have a little shadow". I still have the copy of this book that belonged to my mother when she was a young girl. ( )
  jwhenderson | Oct 22, 2015 |
Robert Louis Stevenson is a classic. How can you read any children’s poetry without including “A Child's Garden of Verses”. The rhymes and rhythms of Stevenson’s words will become an instant hit with the children and his words bring such clarity to the scenes he creates. ( )
  Donna.Hice | Jul 21, 2015 |
Over the years, I have heard a number of authors mention the poetry of Robert Louis Stevenson, and none were more impressive than the mention and admiration of the renowned poet, W.S. Merwin. In an interview a few years ago with Bill Moyers, he recounted how his mother read to him every night. He especially loved A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. I have been coveting a copy of this collection for some time, but somehow, other things always got in the way. While wandering through the offerings of Amazon, I came across a copy illustrated by none other than the marvelous children’s book illustrator, Tasha Tudor. The book arrived today, and I dropped everything to read it aloud, as Merwin suggested. Some of these poems sounded vaguely familiar, although I cannot recall my mother reading me any poetry. She liked stories, and so did I.

This simple and endearing collection is a wonderful way to introduce children to the magic and beauty of poetry. Here is an example of one I vaguely remember from my childhood, “Bed in Summer”:

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hoping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people’s feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day? (10).

Another brief poem I especially liked was “Looking Forward”:

When I am grown to man’s estate
I shall be proud and very great,
And tell the other girls and boys
Not to meddle with my toys.” (18).

Of course, I would make one minor change – the last word should now be “books.” Robert Louis Stevenson’s collection,A Child’s Garden of Verses is an enchanting source for reading to children and helping them understand the beauty and playfulness of verse. The delightful illustrations by Tasha Tudor, the renowned children’s book illustrator, only adds to the experience. 5 stars.

--Chiron, 5/25/15 ( )
  rmckeown | May 30, 2015 |
Given to Ellen Stoner Perry from the Old House Play School 1951
  EllenBeu | May 10, 2015 |
Summary: A collection of poems on a variety of topics including seasons, rain, night and day, and more. Some of the poems are more complex and meant for older children.

Personal reflection: My favorite poem I read from this book was My Shadow because I liked the rhythmic style and the silliness of the poem. I think this book would help students understand there really is a vast range of topics to choose from when writing poetry.

Class use: Read a few poems out loud and ask students which ones were their favorite to get an understanding of what interests them. text set on poetry, read independently and find parts of speech
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 30, 2015 |
Joni Lucas (Children's Literature)
Stevenson's poems and stories are American classics. Poems about rain, foreign lands, travel, windy nights, shadows, swings, cows, the moon and other fanciful things and places fill up this beautifully illustrated book of poems that would make a great gift for new parents. Tasha Tudor's watercolor illustrations help convey the historical flavor of Stevenson's work and conjure up images of simpler times for children. 1999 (orig. 1981), Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, $18.00. Ages All.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Joni Lucas

Smith, Jessie WilcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trimmer, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webbe, ElizabethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alison Cunningham, from her boy.
In winter I get up at night and dress by yellow candle-light.
(Little Golden Books edition)
A birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon the window sill,
Cocked his shining eye and said,
"Ain't you 'shamed, you sleepy-head!"
It is very nice to think / The world is full of meat and drink / With little children saying grace / In every Christian knd of place.

Here is a delightful look at childhood, written by master poet and storyteller Robert Louis Stevenson. In this collection of sixty-six poems, Stevenson recalls the joys of his childhood, from sailing boats down a river, to waiting for the lamplighter, to sailing off to foreign lands in his imagination. Tasha Tudor's watercolor paintings evoke a simpler time in the past, and celebrate two of the things she loves most -- children and nature. Her talents are the perfect match for these inspiring poems, making this a handsome gift edition that will be cherished by families for generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

A collection of poems evoking the world and feelings of childhood.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,879,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible