A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert…

A Child's Garden of Verses (original 1885; edition 1931)

by Robert Louis (Illustrated By Florence Storer) Stevenson

Member:mirrordrum
Title:A Child's Garden of Verses
Authors:Robert Louis (Illustrated By Florence Storer) Stevenson
Info:Charles Scribner's Sons (1931), Hardcover

A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson (1885)

While trying to get some semblance of order for my books, I found this rare gem. Copyrighted in 1900, the paper is older and semi glossy; the illustrations are simple and lovely. My copy is in poor condition, but none of the pages are missing.

It was incredibly delightful to spend time savoring each delightful poem. While simply written, each sentence paints a lush portrait of serenity and reminds the reader of a childhood of dreams and time spent exploring through the imagination. Many of the missives contain images of night and sleeping.

Here is one of my favorites:

North-West Passage

When the bright lamp is carried in,
The sunless ours again begin;
O'er all without, in field and lane,
The haunted night returns again.

Now we behold the embers flee
About the firelit hearth; and see
Our faces painted as we pass,
Like pictures, on the window-glass.

Must we go to bed indeed? Well then,
Let us arise and go like men,
And face with an undaunted tread
The long black passage up to bed.

Farewell, O brother, sister, sire!
O pleasant party round the fire!
The songs you sing, the tales you tell,
Till far to-morrow, fare ye well! ( )
  Whisper1 | Sep 22, 2014 |
This book is a must and I love Gyo's beautiful, child-like illustrations. "The Land of Counterpane" is a particular favorite- this is childhood as it is meant to be, not stuck in front of a television or attached to a device. Children and parents alike will be transported to a sleepier, gentler land. ( )
  aconant | Jun 7, 2014 |
Summary: This was a book full of poems for young children. They were all short poems and generally about children swinging as high as they could. There were also poems about climbing trees an farm animals. It is a very nature type poem book.

Personal Reaction
Children's poems are generally always fun, and this one definitely was. It is very uplifting book that many kids can relate too. The poems reminded me of when I was a kid and thought I was on top of the world, but then something would happen and I would feel down, this book could lift me back up and hopefully lead me to want to go enjoy the nature!

Extension Ideas
1. The children could pick their favorite poem from the collection and draw a picture to represent it.
2. The children could write their own very short poem.
3. The children could bring a poem from home or that they find online to the next class that they like, to discuss.
  KendraAdams | Apr 23, 2014 |
This edition has the classic Charles Robinson illustrations, which though having a certain charm, are like a cross between Mabel Lucie Attwell and Aubrey Beardsley....
There are some well-known delightful classics in here, but I could not help reflecting on what life was like for the children of the time who did not have nannies, well to do fathers, and elegant mammas: not so safe and cosy for them.
  PollyMoore3 | Feb 13, 2014 |
A hardcover version of this collection of poems written by Robert Louis Stevenson over 100 years ago entertained me and my siblings when we were children, and this version, with its watercolor illustrations by Tasha Tudor, brought back many memories. Stevenson's poems were among the first for children, and are all about simpler times, when children sent model sailboats down rivers, played in the garden until the lamplighters came out at dusk, and played with toy soldiers for hours on end. I think that these poems would be wonderful to share with a class as a read aloud, and could be compared with what children do often nowadays for entertainment and play. Because most of the poems are fairly simple, this collection might also be a vehicle for introducing students to writing their own poetry. ( )
  SweetBeeBecky | Dec 3, 2013 |
Joni Lucas (Children's Literature)
Stevenson's poems and stories are American classics. Poems about rain, foreign lands, travel, windy nights, shadows, swings, cows, the moon and other fanciful things and places fill up this beautifully illustrated book of poems that would make a great gift for new parents. Tasha Tudor's watercolor illustrations help convey the historical flavor of Stevenson's work and conjure up images of simpler times for children. 1999 (orig. 1981), Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, $18.00. Ages All.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Joni Lucas

Smith, Jessie WilcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trimmer, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webbe, ElizabethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alison Cunningham, from her boy.
In winter I get up at night and dress by yellow candle-light.
(Little Golden Books edition)
A birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon the window sill,
Cocked his shining eye and said,
"Ain't you 'shamed, you sleepy-head!"
It is very nice to think / The world is full of meat and drink / With little children saying grace / In every Christian knd of place.

Here is a delightful look at childhood, written by master poet and storyteller Robert Louis Stevenson. In this collection of sixty-six poems, Stevenson recalls the joys of his childhood, from sailing boats down a river, to waiting for the lamplighter, to sailing off to foreign lands in his imagination. Tasha Tudor's watercolor paintings evoke a simpler time in the past, and celebrate two of the things she loves most -- children and nature. Her talents are the perfect match for these inspiring poems, making this a handsome gift edition that will be cherished by families for generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:44 -0400)

A collection of poems evoking the world and feelings of childhood.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,984,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible