A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert…

A Child's Garden of Verses (original 1885; edition 1931)

by Robert Louis (Illustrated By Florence Storer) Stevenson

4,492751,085 (4.13)1 / 99
Member:mirrordrum
Title:A Child's Garden of Verses
Authors:Robert Louis (Illustrated By Florence Storer) Stevenson
Info:Charles Scribner's Sons (1931), Hardcover

A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson (1885)

This is a a wonderful book full of poems. The first one is about going to bed in the summer time and how its still light out, it gives a great representation of trying to fall asleep after time change when it is light a lot later in the evening, especially for young kids. The book is filled with very short poems to a little bit of longer poems. It is perfect for children when teaching them about poetry. A good play is another cute shorter poem about two friends sailing down a stair case. My Shadow is a silly but realistic poem about a kid and his shadow. A Good Boy is a poem that I would read my daughter before bed since she has been worried about having "nightmares" before falling asleep. This is a good poem to help children prepare for bed. The Land of the Nod was another favorite poem of mine from this book. Some of these poems may be inappropriate due to language used depending on rules of the school/parents. This is a great poetry book for middle school children. A few of my other favorites are Foreign Lands, The Moon, Shadow March (this one is very realistic you can picture yourself looking at your shadow while you read the poem), Block City (shows imagination and how to build whatever you want with whatever materials you have), The Flowers, The Gardener, To My Mother ( I ended up sending this short but sweet and meaningful poem to my mom), To My Name-Child, as well as many other poems readers will enjoy.
  jocelynjanae6 | Mar 23, 2017 |
I remember owning an abridged version of this book as a child. I later located a copy of the complete version in a library to read. I just re-read the complete version. The poems are age appropriate for children, but I suspect many of them are a bit dated for today's children. Still many of the poems stand the test of time. The edition I read was from 1905 with illustrations by Jessie Willcox Smith. These are watercolor plates chosen to illustration some of the poems. Most poems are accompanied by line drawings as well. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 13, 2017 |
This book brought back many memories that made me think that this was a perfect book to have in your classroom for young readers. I love this book and it gives young readers a good view of rhymes. ( )
  Tiarra16 | Sep 27, 2016 |
I think this book of children's poems is a good book to read. The poems were good length but had good meanings behind them that children can learn from. I thought they taught good lessons for children. ( )
  kacywacy | Sep 26, 2016 |
This book brought back many childhood memories for me. The poems are perfect for young readers and I can see myself sharing these in my classroom in the future. My favorite part is the illustrations, it really brings the words to life for the reader! ( )
  saraewhite96 | Sep 26, 2016 |
Joni Lucas (Children's Literature)
Stevenson's poems and stories are American classics. Poems about rain, foreign lands, travel, windy nights, shadows, swings, cows, the moon and other fanciful things and places fill up this beautifully illustrated book of poems that would make a great gift for new parents. Tasha Tudor's watercolor illustrations help convey the historical flavor of Stevenson's work and conjure up images of simpler times for children. 1999 (orig. 1981), Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, $18.00. Ages All.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Joni Lucas

Scott, Janet LauraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Jessie WilcoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trimmer, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alison Cunningham, from her boy.
In winter I get up at night and dress by yellow candle-light.
(Little Golden Books edition)
A birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon the window sill,
Cocked his shining eye and said,
"Ain't you 'shamed, you sleepy-head!"
It is very nice to think
The world is full of meat and drink
With little children saying grace
In every Christian knd of place.

Here is a delightful look at childhood, written by master poet and storyteller Robert Louis Stevenson. In this collection of sixty-six poems, Stevenson recalls the joys of his childhood, from sailing boats down a river, to waiting for the lamplighter, to sailing off to foreign lands in his imagination. Tasha Tudor's watercolor paintings evoke a simpler time in the past, and celebrate two of the things she loves most -- children and nature. Her talents are the perfect match for these inspiring poems, making this a handsome gift edition that will be cherished by families for generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

A collection of poems evoking the world and feelings of childhood.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,080,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible