No title (1981)

6,983191517 (4.3)63

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (1981)

This book is a collection of some of Shel Silverstein's poems and drawings. They are about all different things. They go from fiction and nonfiction to made up things.

Personal Reaction:
I loved reading these collection of books when I was younger. I cannot tell you how many times I have read them. They are a great read for all ages.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have the kids pick out a poem from the book and draw their own picture to go along with it.
2) Teach the children about rhyming words.
3) Have the children try and write a poem of their own.
  connorshayne | Nov 18, 2015 |
This book consists of a collection of poems and drawings targeted at a young audience. Through the use of rhyming words, humor, and art, each poem tells a story. In addition, many of the poems extend from other writings, such as nursery rhymes, but brilliantly take on a life of their own.

Personal Reaction: I love this book just as much as I did as a child. I think this a great book that sparks the imagination and leaves the reader wanting to read more.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I could have the children each chose their favorite poem to memorize and recite in front of the class.
2. I could have the students each write their own poems similar to the ones in the book and have them add their own illustrations.
  Stacie_Larsen | Nov 18, 2015 |
I would definitely use this in a classroom where I was introducing poetry. I love how many ideas and lessons could be used to create a better classroom environment.
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |
Endless poems and stories fill this book from cover to cover. ( )
  Blaire_Stewart | Nov 16, 2015 |
I really enjoyed Shel SIlverstein's A Light in the Attic. This is not a linear story inter-webbed poetry, but a collection of poems. As I was reading it I found myself jotting down my favorite poems and the page number they were on. I love Shel's work so much, because its audience seems boundless to me. Of course we all know that it's main audience or I should say targeted audience is for youth. My favorite three poems were: How many? How much? pg.8,Signals pg.20, and Reflection pg.29. I liked How Many? How Much? because it explores simple questions like:"How many slices of bread? Depends how thin you cut it". I enjoyed Signals because Shel puts the reader in an uncomfortable situation. He makes the reader question himself/herself about a situation where there is no protocol. Reflection is about a person that looks at the up side down man. The poem is literally about someone looking at his own reflection however, the narrator in the poem metaphorically questions the reality if the up side down man as if he were in another dimension. Overall I loved these collection of poems, and I can picture myself as a teacher reading a poem from this book to my students each day. ( )
  Sleco | Nov 2, 2015 |
Mr. Silverstein's work remains a must for lovers of good verse for children. Quite like nobody else, he is still a master of delectable outrage and the proprietor of a surprisingly finely tuned sensibility.

Shel Silversteinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
alfred hitchcocksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
joyce carol oatesAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shanna
There's a light on in the attic.

Here in the attic of Shel Silverstein you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, and find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, you get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, a Mountain snores, and They Put a Brassiere on the Camel.
From the creator of the beloved poetry collections Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, here is another wondrous book of poems and drawings. (CHARLES DUFF REVIEW BELOW) This eclectic collection of children’s poems with exaggerated accompanying sketches makes for an entertaining book. The poems are relatively short, varying between a few sentences and two pages, are in a narrative style. They are humorous and offer up a terrific way to get kids generally interest in poetry. School Library Media Specialists can use this book during book talks as an independent reading book. It's an appropriate book to introduce in the later elementary grades and even into middle school. Shel Silversteins website offers games and additional education resources for teachers and kids: http://www.shelsilverstein.com/indexS...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256737, Hardcover)

A Look Inside A Light In the Attic Special Edition
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"Backward Bill" "Presents, Presents, Presents"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible