No title (1981)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (1981)

Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

Summery:
This is a book of poems written and illustrated by Shel Silverstein. These are poems for children that make you think outside the box. There are fun poems, silly poems, and sweet poems. A few examples of the poems in the book are Hug O War, My Beard, and It's Hot.
Personal Reaction:
My Aunt Glenna bought me this book when I was about 7 years old. She would read poems to me and we would laugh and laugh. I love having happy reading memories and I hope my children feel the same way when they think back on us reading this same book.
Classroom Extension:
1. After reading a few poems from this book we would write a poem as a group about our classroom.
2. I would have the children draw a word from a cup and have then come up with a word that rhymes with that word. Then I would put the students in groups to write a poem with the words they drew and their rhyming words. ( )
  Charessa | Jul 20, 2017 |
Wonderful book of short poems. Great read for all ages. The illustrations really add to the poetry and word choice. My personal favorite is "Prayer of the Selfish Child"! ( )
  VClarke | Jul 8, 2017 |
Used book in poetry unit with my students. My students really enjoyed the poems! ( )
  Calabrom2 | Jul 6, 2017 |
Not my taste. Some of the poems seem like silliness at first look (which is probably why children might like them), but let the implications sink in and many of the poems are disturbing. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
a great collection of weird and wocky poems for all ages
1 book
  TUCC | Jun 22, 2017 |
Mr. Silverstein's work remains a must for lovers of good verse for children. Quite like nobody else, he is still a master of delectable outrage and the proprietor of a surprisingly finely tuned sensibility.

Shel Silversteinprimary authorall editionscalculated
alfred hitchcocksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
joyce carol oatesAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Here in the attic of Shel Silverstein you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, and find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, you get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, a Mountain snores, and They Put a Brassiere on the Camel.
From the creator of the beloved poetry collections Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, here is another wondrous book of poems and drawings. (CHARLES DUFF REVIEW BELOW) This eclectic collection of children’s poems with exaggerated accompanying sketches makes for an entertaining book. The poems are relatively short, varying between a few sentences and two pages, are in a narrative style. They are humorous and offer up a terrific way to get kids generally interest in poetry. School Library Media Specialists can use this book during book talks as an independent reading book. It's an appropriate book to introduce in the later elementary grades and even into middle school. Shel Silversteins website offers games and additional education resources for teachers and kids: http://www.shelsilverstein.com/indexS...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256737, Hardcover)

A Look Inside A Light In the Attic Special Edition
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"Backward Bill" "Presents, Presents, Presents"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,063,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible