No title (1981)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (1981)

This book was created to make people laugh and rhythmic words. Here is one of the poems: Rockabye

Rockabye baby, in the treetop
Don't you know a treetop
Is no safe place to rock?
And who put you up there,
And your cradle, too?
Baby, I think someone down here's
Got it in for you.
My personal reaction was this book is funny and really put a smile on your face.
One classroom extension could be writing their own poem.
Second classroom extension could be reading the poem out loud.
  b.duggins13 | Apr 16, 2015 |
Summary:
This is another book full of several different poems about a bunch of fun and moral lessons. The author likes to wite about different things. He wrote about the fear of someone stealing your knees and snoring mountains. The poems are very silly and fun and the illustrations go very well with it.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed this book of different poems as well as others. Its fun to see a author get silly and write about different things and some authors won't. Students would really enjoy the book.

Classroom Extensions:
1.) Students make up their own poem but it has to be creative and silly like the authors.
2.) Have a poem with words taken out every once in awhile and as a class fill in the blanks and then read the poem as a whole. Do it a few times as a class and then have students do it by themselves.
  KristenLaSorsa | Apr 15, 2015 |
Summary: This is another book that is a collection of poems by one author. These poems also range in topic, like a poem about a person who has a face on his thumb, and one about a man with no knees.

Personal Reaction: I have enjoyed Shel Silverstein's poetry since I was a child so I loved reading this book.

Classroom Extensions:
1: Kids could write their own poem that they think would fit with the other ones in the book. Give them an idea and have them be as silly as they want.

2: have them come up with their own invention like the Homework Machine. Draw it.

3. Use the poem Hot Dog as a starter for a discussion on what things would make weird pets, and why it would be weird.
  yelhsajoh | Apr 15, 2015 |
Summary:
This is a book with a bunch of different poems in it. They are all telling their own little story.
Personal Reaction:
This is another book I always loved as a kid. I love poems and rhyming. I remember how it was always checked out at the library, and everyone was patiently waiting their turn to check it out. I like it because you can use the different poems for different lessons.
Classroom Extension:
1. With the poem "Rock-N-Roll" in the book, we could have a day where all the children dress like they are in a rock band. Then we could use things such as cans, bottles, beans, rocks, paint, markers, ribbon, etc. so everyone can make their own instruments and we could have our own band.
2. One day, we could use poem "Shaking" where the girl is trying to make a milkshake by shaking the cow. We could bring stuff that day such as different toppings and flavorings, and everyone can participate in making homemade milkshakes.
  Brandy9706 | Apr 15, 2015 |
Summary:
The book is full of several different poems about shenanigans and moral lessons. The author really looks at things a bit differently, from the fear of someone stealing your knees to snoring mountains. The poems along with the illustrations are entertaining and even silly.

Personal reaction:
Shel Silverstein was my favorite author as a child. I din't know he was until I got older and realized that he wrote a lot of the books that I loved. This book is one of my favorites of all time. I enjoy his creativity even as an adult.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
-students make up their most creative and silly poems.
- Print off different poems with some words taken out and have the students replace it with different things of their own. (mad libs)
  Megan_Livsey | Apr 14, 2015 |
Mr. Silverstein's work remains a must for lovers of good verse for children. Quite like nobody else, he is still a master of delectable outrage and the proprietor of a surprisingly finely tuned sensibility.

Shel Silversteinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
alfred hitchcocksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
joyce carol oatesAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shanna
There's a light on in the attic.

Here in the attic of Shel Silverstein you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, and find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, you get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, a Mountain snores, and They Put a Brassiere on the Camel.
From the creator of the beloved poetry collections Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, here is another wondrous book of poems and drawings. (CHARLES DUFF REVIEW BELOW) This eclectic collection of children’s poems with exaggerated accompanying sketches makes for an entertaining book. The poems are relatively short, varying between a few sentences and two pages, are in a narrative style. They are humorous and offer up a terrific way to get kids generally interest in poetry. School Library Media Specialists can use this book during book talks as an independent reading book. It's an appropriate book to introduce in the later elementary grades and even into middle school. Shel Silversteins website offers games and additional education resources for teachers and kids: http://www.shelsilverstein.com/indexS...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256737, Hardcover)

A Look Inside A Light In the Attic Special Edition
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"Backward Bill" "Presents, Presents, Presents"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,903,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible