The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by…

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse (edition 2019)

by Charlie Mackesy (Author)

"A modern, illustrated fable for readers of all ages that explores life's universal lessons from beloved British illustrator Charlie Mackesy"--
Member:malinablue
Title:The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Authors:Charlie Mackesy (Author)
Info:HarperOne (2019), 128 pages

The Boy, the Horse, the Fox and the Mole by Charlie Mackesy

This book isn’t on my shelves, it was a Christmas gift for a loved one—one that I had read four times before I finally wrapped it. I get many newsletters, reviews, and personal notes from publishers, authors, poets, and bookselling friends from all over. I started hearing about this book long before it was in the form of a book, back when it was scattered sketches and words on Instagram, where it went viral. By the time I bought it as a gift, it had been on one hell of a trip. It had become number one on the bestseller list, was the book of the year for both the Waterstones and Barnes & Noble chains, and acclaimed as one of the premier gift books of the year. The book was up against other finalists like The Nickel Boys and Margaret Atwood.
The book is special in many ways. Physically, it a special hardcover, filled with nice quality paper, some very stylized drawings, and a very special hand drawn text. The text is loose, much like a fable, but it’s not limited by its style to any particular age group. It brought tears to the young girl/woman I bought it for, as well as to myself, someone almost five times her age.
I know an area bookseller who I respect, and as we discussed books, he picked this book up and told me that he was sold on it because by about page four, one of the characters spoke of his goal in life was to be considered kind. Being kind is big in my life. I think we all need to work towards making the world a kinder place. It’s that obvious kindness and sensitivity that lead people dealing with patients suffering from PTSD and other like conditions, to start successfully using those Instagram images and words.
Charlie Mackesy, the book’s British author/illustrator has been a cartoonist and graphic novelist, as well as a book illustrator for Oxford University Press. While living in Africa, he helped many low-income people in Zambia become beekeepers and lift themselves up economically. He has also worked with Nelson Mandela and Comic Relief on other projects.
I became rather fixated on the book and its creator, watching a number of different online interviews and stories. The image that sticks in my mind is the man working in his leafy and cluttered backyard at a small table. He was quickly creating those rough and sensitive sketches with black ink, as the leaves fell and blew around his feet. It’s probably not the technical and legal definition of organic, but it was so natural.
I’m not going to tell you the story, as the entire book is only 128 pages, and the word count on most pages is under twenty words. The book is a special experience; one that I wish Vicky could have had before she died. Make the effort, find the book, and check it out. ( )
1 vote jphamilton | Jan 8, 2020 |
Lovely little book of affirmations that somehow manages to fall more to the side of earnestness and kindness than sentimentality. Mostly thanks to the beautiful gestural ink and watercolor illustrations and brush lettering. It's a really nice package, with a gentle animal-centric theme. This was a good note to end the year on. ( )
1 vote lisapeet | Dec 31, 2019 |
Love the art, and the wisdom is classic and brilliant. ( )
  SarahStroud | Dec 30, 2019 |
I was given this lovely fable by my 16YO grandson for Christmas. A work of art in both the literal and figurative sense. The four adorable characters remind us of the value of love and friendship and kindness.

This book can be read in one sitting but it is most definitely a book to be read over and over again. Don’t borrow this one, buy it! ( )
  PatsyG | Dec 29, 2019 |
One day a little boy meets a mole, befriended by a fox and a horse, and learns a series of life lessons. These lessons have been mirrored by many positive psychology advocates. Victor Frankl's existential therapy is reflected when the boy learns that "we choose how we react to things." Scott Peck's opening line in The Road Less Traveled, "Life is difficult" is introduced with positive messages to put one foot after another when life becomes tough going, to ask for help, and to forgive yourself. Finally, the best admonition is that we exist "to love and to be loved."

All these concepts are presented in a beautiful way with beautiful script and illustrations. As the author indicates, this is a book for readers of any age. ( )
  John_Warner | Dec 13, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,625,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible