Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum) by Janet…

Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum) (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Janet Evanovich (Author)

Grandma Mazur, Stephanie Plum's favorite family member and occassional partner in crime, has decided to get married again--this time to a local gangster named Jimmy Rosolli. If Stephanie has her doubts about this marriage, she doesn't have to worry for long, because the groom drops dead of a heart attack forty-five minutes after saying, "I do." A sad day for Grandma Muazir turns into something far more dangerous when Jimmy's former "business partners" are convinced that his new widow is keeping the keys to a financial windfall all to herself. But the one thing these guys didn't count on was the widow's bounty-hunter granddaughter, who'll do anything to save her.… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum)
Authors:Janet Evanovich (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2019), 320 pages
Tags:Read in 2019

Twisted Twenty-Six by Janet Evanovich (2019)

This book is average Fare from Ms. Evanovich, she writes better and will again it's just not this one. ( )
  pigeon_racer | Dec 10, 2019 |
3.5 stars (rating shown may differ depending on whether the site allows half-star ratings).

Warning: Spoilers May Follow--Read at your own discretion.

*****

I liked this installment more than I liked the previous two. Some of the best parts of the series continue or return and some of the things that bothered me have been changed. There were a few things that bothered me, however. Particularly when Grandma Mazur, after being kidnapped, says she's decided she doesn't like danger (or something to that effect). That's so off from the Grandma Mazur character up to this point in the series (and the spin-off books) that it made me really wonder.

What I liked:

Stephanie and Lula seem to have become more competent at their apprehensions. They make two or three without incident--yes, there's one that keeps evading them, but that's part of the charm of the series. (My complaint had been that for as long as Stephanie's been doing this, she never seemed to get better at it.)

Stephanie fire-bombing her own car. Humorous and it took me back to earlier books in the series. I look forward to reading new ways for Stephanie to lose cars in each book. I also liked the part about her driving the cement truck.

Some of the humor reminded me of earlier books in the series--ones I enjoyed.

Ranger seemed more human. He ate cookies (well, a cookie at least). He shows he cares for Stephanie in his own way. He and Stephanie have a conversation about life goals. I liked the way he treated Stephanie when they finally got the cement truck stopped.

We get to see that Stephanie's parents really do care for Grandma Mazur even if the way they show it to her isn't conventional.

Stephanie seems to have chosen Morelli though she is still somewhat tempted by Ranger. Ranger doesn't overtly push her to cheat on Morelli though we still know that there is interest from both sides.

What I didn't like:

Ranger is too competent to have given Stephanie and Grandma homing pendants that he hadn't tested to see if they worked. We never find out why they don't work: was it a plan of Ranger's that he hadn't shared and was accidentally found out; did someone mess with the pendants themselves; was there a jamming device blocking the signal? And when it is found out, Ranger only comes and collects the pendants. He doesn't give them any type of replacement.

Stephanie is sleeping with Morelli even though they're not married and don't even seem to be talking about marriage.

Grandma Mazur's comment after her kidnapping. (See earlier in review for details.)

Stephanie seems dissatisfied with her current life but doesn't seem to know what to do about it or what she wants to do. What brought that on? How long will we, as readers, have to listen to her whine about wanting change but not doing anything to make the change? ( )
  JenniferRobb | Dec 7, 2019 |
When Grandma Edna Mazur makes a spur-of-the-moment decision to marry local gangster Jimmy Rosolli, she doesn’t know she’ll become a widow some forty-five minutes later. And when Jimmy’s two ex-wives, three sisters, one daughter, and four La-Z-Boy partners decide she’s holding out on them, keeping the keys to a financial bonanza all to herself, things turn dangerous.

However, they hadn’t counted on Grandma’s bounty-hunter granddaughter . . . and Stephanie Plum will do whatever it takes to keep Grandma Mazur safe. But will she be able to find the answer to the missing fortune and the keys that promise to lead to the money?

The twenty-sixth outing for Stephanie Plum and company has all the expected players in place. There are escapades a-plenty, bail-jumping chases, copious wise-cracking, and plenty of laughs along the way to [gasp] a cliffhanger [presumably addressed in “Fortune and Glory,” the next book in the series]. And Stephanie’s having a mini-crisis over the state of her life.

Readers . . . especially fans of the series . . . are sure to find Stephanie’s latest adventure keeps them chuckling as they turn the pages as quickly as they can.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Dec 3, 2019 |
Grandma Mazur has married a member of the mob and 45 minutes later, her honey has a heart attack and dies. Now, his cohorts think he has disclosed to Grandma Mazur the location of some all important keys. She has no idea what they are talking about, but now her life, as well as Stephanie’s since she is protecting her, are in jeopardy. Luckily, Morelli and Ranger are protecting both of them. But they can’t be with them 24/7 and bad things are eminent. On top of all this, Stephanie is having doubts about her career as a bounty officer. While she and Lula are running down the derilects that seem to be worse each time, Stephanie wonders why she isn’t doing something better. This tale has some serious moments but is liberally sprinkled with some serious humor, too. This series is candy for the reader: it may not make us a better person, but boy, we devour it, enjoying every word. ( )
  Maydacat | Nov 26, 2019 |
Yes, the Stephanie Plum novels are silly, but I really enjoy them. The ridiculous situations and the colorful characters are all very entertaining. Maybe it's the Jersey setting/jokes/lifestyle that gets to me. This series is just plain fun. Yes, the characters are predictable, but I expect them to be. Yes, the relationships don't progress, but, really, they are living in Trenton!!!! These books are always good for a quick, amusing read. I almost don't care about the plot...its the characters I enjoy….although this plot finds Grandma Mazur in danger.

For the first time I remember in this series, the ending is somewhat open ended and clearly leads to a sequel….. the 27th Stephanie Plum book! ( )
  vkmarco | Nov 23, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,255,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible