Stories for Boys and Girls: A Walk in the Wind

by Danielle Michaud Aubrey

1614997,245 (4)None
A children's reader with 20 new and original stories. Children will engage imaginatively as they learn about community, compassion and collaboration, positive values and safety. Through human and animal characters the stories portray the importance of kindness, acceptance, friendship and loyalty. Lessons in honesty, fairness and sharing are learned as the characters meet challenges and support each other. The author deals with issues such as "bad vs good" secrets, strangers, and following rules.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
20 beautiful stories with a mild meaning and/or message for a child's awareness.
Honestly speaking the first couple of stories left me a bit flat, however I'm glad I continued as the rest were most enjoyable.
The book portrays a variety of emotions. While 'Mouse In tHe House' is incredibly amusing, 'The Girl In The Mirror' gives a sense of something more sensitive.
I liked the way characters repeat within the other stories as they become known and relatable...it certainly is a very nice touch.
The ideas, narrative and even the illustrations themselves are almost of an old fashioned nature which is very endearing to read and see as you can't find many books today for children in this manner.
All in all a great read aloud book that I'm sure many children would enjoy. ( )
  Lin_K | Sep 27, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was glad to get this book (as ebook). I wanted to read it and see if it is possible to use it for a non-native speaker child who learns English.
The heroes of the book are mainly children, animals and some adults close to children and animals. The stories are kind and - in some cases - a bit too straightforward in promoting the moral things. I like very much books with morality, but in this case, the way of showing it is *a bit* simplistic. Maybe this is good for children, though. Some stories could be used also as part of talking about difficult topics. (Some classic tales are better anyway. I guess we also have a different mentality...)
Also I *partly* disagree with the idea of several stories...
From my point of view, the book is intended for pre-school and youngest school age, but the text is difficult for a non-English speaking child of that age. (For older children who know English better, the stories are not that interesting.) One could read it together, however, and translate it aloud, learning words. Besides, the book includes some cultural realities of the US, which are interesting to learn. ( )
  sofiamor | Aug 29, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I hoped to get a chance to review this book because as a teacher I'm always looking for short stories to read to students that are engaging but full of life lessons. This is a great book to add to my list. It doesn't read as an Aesop's Fables but still are good lesson starters. I can't wait to incorporate this into my curriculum. ( )
  shelbabers | Jul 23, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Enjoyable little story collection for children aged 6-8 primarily to read themselves or younger to have the stories read to. Some might complain that they are too pedantic or moralizing but kids won't notice. They are just full of stories with cute characters and life lessons. Beautiful illustrations too. Hope it will be in physical format too.
  ashmolean1 | Jul 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great collection of cleverly hidden life lessons in the guise of entertaining characters and fun adventures.
The life lessons run the gamut from gossiping to good/bad secrets to bullying to kindness and much more in-between.
Each tale is accompanied by charming illustrations full of vivid colour that support the message in the tale.
There tales are quick reads, perfect for bedtimes or moments you need to keep their attention.
Perfect for harried parents who get asked to read multiple books at bedtime, for busy parents with only a few spare minutes and parent’s who aren’t fans of reading but have kids who love it. ( )
  Tina_Evans | Jul 3, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Danielle Michaud Aubrey's book A Walk in the Wind: Stories for Boys and Girls is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Danielle Michaud Aubrey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,646,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible