A Sending of Dragons by Jane Yolen

A Sending of Dragons (1987)

by Jane Yolen

Series: The Pit Dragon Chronicles (3)

This one was just weird. It tried to address the more brutal parts of the world that was taken for granted in the two previous books, but it didn't do it effectively. Also the last ten pages were just a big infodump on what was happening in the rest of the world during the entire book, but that was more interesting than the weirdness that happened to the Jakkin and Akki.

I'm no longer enjoying these, and if I didn't have to write an essay on all four, I'd quit reading them. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Jakkin and Akki go from one danger to another. Fleeing from both the Wardens and the Rebels, they make their way into the system of caves in the Astarian mountains. There, they make a sinister discovery...

I have mixed feelings about this series. The writing is fairly utilitarian, but the plot moves quickly, so once I get caught up in the story, I find them quick and engrossing reads. There's not a lot of depth to the characters, and I could use a bit more explanation of how certain elements of the telepathic "sendings" work. Still, not a bad way to spend a little time, especially if you are fond of dragons. ( )
  foggidawn | Nov 13, 2017 |
In this third book of the "Pit Dragon Chronicles", we discover Jakkin and Akki in hiding from the authorities in the wild mountainous areas of Austar IV. With the help of Heart's Blood's five hatchlings, they explore deeper in the wilderness, only to discover a series of tunnels and caves that beckon them onward into a mystery.

I enjoyed this installment of Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon series, though maybe not as much as the previous two. I am looking forward to the hatchlings maturing into adult dragons in the future, perhaps in the next installment? ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 4, 2013 |
The world of Austar IV becomes abruptly more foreign in this volume, but in comparison to ours and to what the reader knew about it from the previous books. This story doesn't work nearly as well for me for several reasons, beginning there.

We lose all contact with the Pit Fighting and the nursery as Jakken and Akki hide in the mountains with Heart's Blood's five hatchlings and newly-gained telepathic skills. While it is a semi-interesting expansion of the world, it's hard not to read this book - which reveals that the dragons have fully-formed thoughts and can communicate them - and wince at the implications for earlier books - in which dragons are bred for food and fighting.

To Yolen's credit, she does not ignore these implications - her characters struggle with them quite a bit, and much of the thrust of the last book revolves around the tension between wanting to share this discovery with the world, and what it might mean if they do - since the only way to gain these telepathic skills appears to be to kill female dragons.

I think, though, that this shift of setting combined with the shift of story - away from coming of age and into an escape/rescue/adventure from a bizarre clan of mountain folks - makes it feel jarring, and Yolen just doesn't manage it as well as she managed the others. For me, this is the sort of book I read because I fall in love with a world, and because I'm a completionist. ( )
  Aerrin99 | Jul 6, 2010 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nolan, DennisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jonathan Grenzke, dragon master, shatterer of a thousand shields, who lives right down the road.
Austar IV is the fourth planet of a seven-planet rim system in the Erato Galaxy.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152051287, Paperback)

Jakkin and his girlfriend, Akki, discover a primitive cult that sacrifices dragons.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

Falsely accused of sabotage, Jakkin and Akki are left to certain death in the wilderness of the planet Austar IV but, with the aid of five baby dragons, manage not only to survive but also to gain unusual powers and insights.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,645,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible