A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Trilogy) by…

A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Trilogy) (original 1987; edition 1989)

by Jane Yolen

Member:Cauterize
Title:A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Trilogy)
Authors:Jane Yolen
Info:Laurel Leaf (1989), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:own, condo, YA

A Sending of Dragons by Jane Yolen (1987)

In this third book of the "Pit Dragon Chronicles", we discover Jakkin and Akki in hiding from the authorities in the wild mountainous areas of Austar IV. With the help of Heart's Blood's five hatchlings, they explore deeper in the wilderness, only to discover a series of tunnels and caves that beckon them onward into a mystery.

I enjoyed this installment of Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon series, though maybe not as much as the previous two. I am looking forward to the hatchlings maturing into adult dragons in the future, perhaps in the next installment? ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 4, 2013 |
The world of Austar IV becomes abruptly more foreign in this volume, but in comparison to ours and to what the reader knew about it from the previous books. This story doesn't work nearly as well for me for several reasons, beginning there.

We lose all contact with the Pit Fighting and the nursery as Jakken and Akki hide in the mountains with Heart's Blood's five hatchlings and newly-gained telepathic skills. While it is a semi-interesting expansion of the world, it's hard not to read this book - which reveals that the dragons have fully-formed thoughts and can communicate them - and wince at the implications for earlier books - in which dragons are bred for food and fighting.

To Yolen's credit, she does not ignore these implications - her characters struggle with them quite a bit, and much of the thrust of the last book revolves around the tension between wanting to share this discovery with the world, and what it might mean if they do - since the only way to gain these telepathic skills appears to be to kill female dragons.

I think, though, that this shift of setting combined with the shift of story - away from coming of age and into an escape/rescue/adventure from a bizarre clan of mountain folks - makes it feel jarring, and Yolen just doesn't manage it as well as she managed the others. For me, this is the sort of book I read because I fall in love with a world, and because I'm a completionist. ( )
  Aerrin99 | Jul 6, 2010 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nolan, DennisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jonathan Grenzke, dragon master, shatterer of a thousand shields, who lives right down the road.
Austar IV is the fourth planet of a seven-planet rim system in the Erato Galaxy.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152051287, Paperback)

Jakkin and his girlfriend, Akki, discover a primitive cult that sacrifices dragons.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:30 -0400)

Falsely accused of sabotage, Jakkin and Akki are left to certain death in the wilderness of the planet Austar IV but, with the aid of five baby dragons, manage not only to survive but also to gain unusual powers and insights.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,542,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible