Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You by…

Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You (edition 2019)

by Sonia Sotomayor (Author)

Feeling different, especially as a kid, can be tough. But in the same way that different types of plants and flowers make a garden more beautiful and enjoyable, different types of people make our world more vibrant and wonderful. In Just Ask, United States Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor celebrates the different abilities kids (and people of all ages) have. Using her own experience as a child who was diagnosed with diabetes, Justice Sotomayor writes about children with all sorts of challenges--and looks at the special powers those kids have as well. As the kids work together to build a community garden, asking questions of each other along the way, this book encourages readers to do the same- When we come across someone who is different from us but we're not sure why, all we have to do is Just Ask.… (more)
Member:Corinne57
Title:Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
Authors:Sonia Sotomayor (Author)
Info:Philomel Books (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 32 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You by Sonia Sotomayor

Just Ask is a book that follows a class as they plant a garden. Each kid talks about their disability, and how it makes them unique just like the plants they are growing. This book talks about many different disabilities from the perspective of those who have them and discusses all the different things that help us as learners. ( )
  lydiachristian | Oct 5, 2020 |
Just Ask! is a beautifully written and illustrated book explaining the unique disabilities some children are faced with. Each character has a different disability, but they explain that even if faced with the same disability, children may not have the same symptoms. This is so important to learn as no two children are alike. This is a wonderful book to have in the classroom. Children should be aware of some of the disabilities other children are faced with and their differences should be celebrated. ( )
  candaceoddo | Sep 30, 2020 |
Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor shares the story of her diabetes diagnosis and how she felt growing up with a medical condition that her friends didn't understand. The book shares several stories of children with challenges, in the hope of helping us understand more about their conditions. Sotomayor encourages us to "Just Ask!" if we have questions, instead of making people feel ashamed of their challenges. Rafael Lopez's colourful and engaging illustrations combine to make this a fun, accessible book to read. Great to help students with challenges see themselves, and for others to see the stories of their friends. Schneider Family Book Award winner and #ownvoices author. ( )
  lisakusick | Jul 30, 2020 |
Thank you to Libro.fm for the copy of Just Ask. A sweet book for littles as they learn about differences and celebrating those differences with understanding. United States Supreme Court Justice, Sonia Sotomayor chose to write this book to help children understand differences are everywhere. If you are curious, just ask. She had juvenile diabetes and had to prick her finger and take insulin. She felt different and just wanted children to ask if they had questions. ( )
  lflareads | Jun 27, 2020 |
This book talks about many different types of disabilities. ( )
  SkylerStanley | Apr 27, 2020 |

Sonia Sotomayorprimary authorall editionscalculated
López, RafaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,412,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible