Code: And Other Laws of Cyberspace by…

Code: And Other Laws of Cyberspace by Lawrence Lessig (2000-07-13) (1999)

by Lawrence Lessig (Author)

Member:sebkur
Title:Code: And Other Laws of Cyberspace by Lawrence Lessig (2000-07-13)
Authors:Lawrence Lessig (Author)
Info:Basic Books (2000-07-13) (no date)

Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace by Lawrence Lessig (1999)

Remarkable intellectual material presented in over-elaborated language. Lessig is a much better lawyer than he is an author and would be well served by a ghost writer.

His key concept is that conduct in cyberspace (and more widely) is regulated as much by computer code as by legal code. He postualtes four key regulators (Architecture, Law, aMarket,nd Norms) and considers the effect of each upon society. He argues that the computer technology that enables copying overturns the legal power to control such copying. This has profound implications for copyright and if it becomes possible to create a license every aspect of use (through software) then fair use is no longer a valid refuge.

All the arguments in this book are refined and updated in Code V2, which is available at no commercial cost under Creative commons licensing. ( )
  TheoClarke | Dec 27, 2010 |
A famous book that I own but have never read because I am skeptical of the author's entire enterprise.
  wfzimmerman | May 24, 2009 |
Code is a great book on the regulation of cyberspace. There is no dancing around the point that it is a tedious read. Keeping my focus till the end was difficult, but it was worth finishing. Lessig makes it clear that cyberspace can and will be governed by the nature of its architecture even if it is not governed directly by law. If the regulation of cyberspace is of any interest to you, this book is an essential read. ( )
  tyroeternal | Sep 19, 2008 |
Brilliant book. Wonder what an update would look like.
Important concept on how risk can be reduced, what controls does a system exert: Regulations, Norms, Architecture, and Market. This idea can be played out in lots of other contexts. ( )
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |
One of the great books of the 20th century!
  stustu12 | Dec 5, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0465039138, Paperback)

"We, the Net People, in order to form a more perfect Transfer Protocol..." might be recited in future fifth-grade history classes, says attorney Lawrence Lessig. He turns the now-traditional view of the Internet as an uncontrollable, organic entity on its head, and explores the architecture and social systems that are changing every day and taming the frontier. Code and Other Laws of Cyberspace is his well-reasoned, undeniably cogent series of arguments for guiding the still-evolving regulatory processes, to ensure that we don't find ourselves stuck with a system that we find objectionable. As the former Communist-bloc countries found, a constitution is still one of our best guarantees against the dark side of chaos; and Lessig promotes a kind of document that accepts the inevitable regulatory authority of both government and commerce, while constraining them within values that we hold by consensus.

Lessig holds that those who shriek the loudest at the thought of interference in cyberdoings, especially at the hands of the government, are blind to the ever-increasing regulation of the Net (admittedly, without badges or guns) by businesses that find little opposition to their schemes from consumers, competitors, or cops. The Internet will be regulated, he says, and our window of opportunity to influence the design of those regulations narrows each day. How will we make the decisions that the Framers of our paper-and-ink Constitution couldn't foresee, much less resolve? Lessig proclaims that many of us will have to wake up fast and get to work before we lose the chance to draft a networked Bill of Rights. --Rob Lightner

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

This second edition, or Version 2.0, of Code has been prepared through the author's wiki, a web site that allows readers to edit the text, making this the first reader-edited revision of a popular book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,428,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible