Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset

Kristin Lavransdatter

by Sigrid Undset

Series: Kristin Lavransdatter (Omnibus)

2,091574,534 (4.24)1 / 453

English (55)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (57)
Wish I'd read it when I was 16, then again as an adult. Very very good, and Kristin will be remembered in my mind for a long time, but not great, not the LOTR of a woman's life as its been compared IMHO. And everybody just lets you down. No real heroes here, except the heavenly father. Glad I read it. ( )
  fbswss | Jun 22, 2018 |
Book 1 - The Wreath

Kristin’s childhood, her attachment to her father, her betrothal to Simon Darre, she meets and falls in love with Erlend and starts meeting him secretly. Her betrothal is broken, and eventually Erlend convinces her father to allow him to marry Kristin. Unknown to everyone and to her shame, she is pregnant when they finally wed. She feels like she has betrayed her parents, broken her vows and disgraced herself.

Book 2 – The Wife

This second book covers Kristin’s young adult life. Her shame at bearing her first child early. She goes on to have seven sons (1 set of twins) and makes peace with both her parents. Her younger sister marries Simon. Erlend get involved in treason, is arrested and sentenced to death, but with the help of Simon and others, they are able to get the sentence commuted. After many years of her harsh treatment of Erlend and his hurt feelings and philandering, they are stronger together than ever at the close of this book. Erlend insults Simon by implying that he would have rather seen Erlend hanged so that he could finally have Kristin for himself.

Book 3 – The Cross

The third volume covers the later part of Kristin’s life, she sees her children becoming adults and growing away from her, and spends a great deal of time contemplating the condition of her moral soul as she remembers her past behavior. She and her husband have a bitter falling out and he leaves to live elsewhere and although they do make-up at one point, neither one will bend to the will of the other. This stubborn refusal to adapt to their partner leads to a tragedy and more anguish for the family. As Kristin’s life draws to a close, I was happy to see that this stubborn, determined woman did find a measure of peace.

Summary

This is a wonderful piece of historical fiction and as great as it is, this is so much more than the story of one woman’s life. This literary trilogy that was written in Norwegian in the early 1920’s includes many descriptions of Northern life during the middle ages. The daily customs, religious rituals, pagan practices and political situations are detailed and fascinating, not to mention the depiction of clothing, food, and decor which combine to create a master picture of Scandinavian life in the past. This book well deserves an international following and I am glad that this version, translated by Tina Nunnally, is currently available. I would recommend this book to all lovers of historical fiction. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jun 4, 2018 |
I reread this book some 30 or more years after the first time. I remembered its ambiance and that I thought it great. Most else I'd forgotten. I thoroughly enjoyed it and still thought it was great, a superb rendering of people, their natures and the lives they create for themselves. A tragic and encouraging tale all in one. ( )
1 vote snash | Jan 3, 2018 |
I read this book such a long time ago, but it took me to another time and place - there were elves, and it was a love story. ( )
  anniemktx | Dec 22, 2017 |
I don't know how I have gone all this time and not only have I not read this before, I have never even heard of it! Historical Novel set in the 14th Century of a young women's love story. I can't help but feel a deep sense of grief as the story was coming to an end. We are led thru the life's journey of Kristen. As a young girl with her honorable cleric father, her pledged betrothal to a man she didn't love. Her struggle with living a pious life and her own desires. This book is full of life lessons and true love,family, forgiveness and faith. It is an absolute classic that I will treasure forever. ( )
1 vote booklovers2 | Nov 12, 2017 |

Leithauser, BradIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunnally, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rondoni, DavideIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, J.S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the earthly goods of Ivar Gjesling the Younger of Sundbu were divided up in the year 1306, his property at Sil was given to his daughter Ragnfrid and her husband Lavrans Bjorgulfson.
This record is for the trilogy complete set. Please do not add individual books of the trilogy to this record. Thank you!

In her great historical epic Kristin Lavransdatter, set in fourteenth-century Norway, Nobel laureate Sigrid Undset tells the life story of one passionate and headstrong woman. Painting a richly detailed backdrop, Undset immerses readers in the day-to-day life, social conventions, and political and religious undercurrents of the period. Now in one volume, Tiina Nunnally’s award-winning definitive translation brings this remarkable work to life with clarity and lyrical beauty.

As a young girl, Kristin is deeply devoted to her father, a kind and courageous man. But when as a student in a convent school she meets the charming and impetuous Erlend Nikulaussøn, she defies her parents in pursuit of her own desires. Her saga continues through her marriage to Erlend, their tumultuous life together raising seven sons as Erlend seeks to strengthen his political influence, and finally their estrangement as the world around them tumbles into uncertainty.

With its captivating heroine and emotional potency, Kristin Lavransdatter is the masterwork of Norway’s most beloved author—one of the twentieth century’s most prodigious and engaged literary minds—and, in Nunnally’s exquisite translation, a story that continues to enthrall.

A Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition with French flaps and rough front
Includes a new introduction by Scandinavian literature expert Brad Leithauser especially commissioned for this edition

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:50 -0400)

Panorama of Norwegian life in the first half of the 14th century and the tumultous life of a woman, traces Kristin's life from childhood to death.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Ediciones Encuentro

3 editions of this book were published by Ediciones Encuentro.

Editions: 8474908647, 8474904277, 8499205240

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,833,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible