The Little Black Book of Style by Nina…

The Little Black Book of Style

by Nina Garcia

Other authors: Ruben Toledo (Illustrator)

★ ★ 1/2

Meh! There are many things I agree with and many I do not.... Some of the designers she touts, pah over self-aggrandized posers..... Over the edge style is for women who have little else to do with their money & the designers are merely playing up to egos......

The basics she talks about work, the fact that one needs to dress for their own personal sense of style is correct.

Chapters:
Be Your Own Muse
The Basics
Inspirations
What to Wear When
Insider Tips & tricks
Fashion Cliff's Notes: Decade by Decade

I suppose this book is good for those who are really interested in trying to "make it" with the In Crowd. For the rest of us, there is something here to be taken or left behind. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I liked this book. I agree with the criticisms about her fur stance, but I think that a lot of the advice in there is pretty sound. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I bought this book on Saturday (3/26/11) and finished it Sunday (3/27/11). It's very easy to get through. There are plenty of illustrations by Ruben Toledo to elucidate Ms. Garcia's points. I'm also reading "The Look Book" by Ms. Garcia, in which she expands upon some of the themes in this small book, such as what to wear for different occasions, and what's appropriate and what isn't in different situations. Like Tim Gunn's "Guide to Quality, Taste and Style," she has a list of fashion-oriented films in the appendix so you can get an idea of different styles through the decades, and how different stars were dressed for their films. There's also a Q&A with various designers, where she asks them different questions, but always ends with the question of who or what inspires them and who is the most stylish woman they know. There's also the ubiquitous list of items every woman should have in her wardrobe, and a list of 10 things you must know.

Like I said, it's a very easy, pleasant read. My advice is to not spend too much on the book, because while it is handy, it's not what I consider comprehensive. It's more like a basic overview. The list price for the hardcover I bought is $19.99. I got it for half that with a coupon and my Borders discount card. If you can get it from the library, even better. My advice is to save your money for the really big fashion books, and maybe a subscription to a magazine or two. MissusSmartyPants.com is an excellent resource, too. ( )
  harrietbrown | Mar 29, 2011 |
THANK YOU NINA GARCIA!!! All my life I felt like a fashion faux pas, like I just couldn't quite get it right. I picked this book up in the middle of an identity crisis looking for help getting it right. For something to help me feel like I was finally "put together." Imagine my surprise when page after page I was faced with descriptions of MYSELF, of the ways I already dressed. Talk about a revelation!

If you've ever felt like I did, or just wish you could change things up a little this book is a fabulous guidepost. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Aug 19, 2009 |

Nina Garciaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Toledo, RubenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Every time you dress, you assert your identity. With style, you tell the world your story. In that way, style affords you opportunities to think about your appearance as a quality of your creative character. The Little Black Book of Style helps you to explore your own fashion voice—the piece of you that joyously revels in the glamorous experience of creating your best self. From cultivating good taste to guarding against definite fashion faux pas, Nina Garcia offers readers the ultimate guide to follow when it comes to dressing their best. Including tips on how and when to wear an outfit, occasion-appropriate wear, advice on how to combine colors and textures, and inspiration on how to achieve your own signature look, you learn how to experiment, storyboard, archive, and play. Timeless and universal, this book seeks to remind women that eternal style is internal style, and that everyone has what it takes to discover themselves through the colorful palette that is fashion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

A fashion professional shares tips on how to discern trendy fashions from classic styles, counseling readers on how to dress for specific occasions, combine colors and textures for best results, and achieve a signature look.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,661,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible