Mist, The by Stephen King

Title:Mist, The
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2007), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 230 pages

The Mist by Stephen King

The Old One by Todd Brabander (Pigletto)
    Bird Box by Josh Malerman (sparemethecensor)
    American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett (sparemethecensor)
    The Complete Fiction by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you enjoyed what is perhaps King's best Lovecraftian work, you'll probably get a kick out of the original.
    Clickers II by J. F. Gonzalez (Scottneumann)

English (34)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
The Mist is a great monster story. The whole plot mostly takes place inside the supermarket (at least the largest horror one). After a nasty storm a strange mist appears. And the things in it.
People escaped the mist and what is lurking in it and now they either have to wait for it to pass or to do something horrible. It isn't surprising, then, that you get a couple of stereotypical characters (an old crazy doom-sayer, a lawyer who is full of himself, a unassuming good guy and so on). The protagonist is stuck with his five-year-old son there.

As I said, it is a great monster story. I really liked that part. Unfortunately, in a story like this I need to root for the main character or at least to accept his actions on some level. That definitely doesn't happen here. I loved the story up to a particular moment that was completely unnecessary. It didn't move the story forward. All it did was to make me lose my interest. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
This was one of the scariest books I read in high school. I would sit and read on the couch next to a big picture window on the farm and would not realize that the curtains were open and it had gone dark outside. I would look over, realize the curtains were open and it would freak me out so bad I would run up the stairs so fast to my room and hide. Still creeps me out! If you want to be scared, read this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
The story begins with a sudden and dangerous storm that causes a lot of damage to the small town of Bridgton, Maine. David Drayton takes his son to town for some groceries the next morning only to get socked in by an extremely thick fog. Unfortunately, there are creatures out there in the mist that are like nothing on Earth. Drayton and the others who are trapped in the story must try to come to terms with what it happening while struggling for survival.

Initially published nearly 30 years, the novella is an outstanding example of classic Stephen King; weaving the themes of terror of the unknown, social prejudices and the true quest for life within a very tight framework. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Do not have a copy
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
A really good novella! Something is in the mist, and the folks inside the Federal Foods Supermarket don't know what to do! Stay inside, make a break for it, or give "them" a sacrifice! (that last one the idea of hateful Mrs. Carmody) I liked the ambiguous ending, but I will say, I LOVED the ending of the movie version even more! Damn Arrowhead Project... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Dec 14, 2015 |
This is what happened. On the night of the worst heat wave in northern New England history finally broke -- the night of July 19th -- the entire western Maine region eas lashed with the most vicious thunder storm I have ever seen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451223292, Mass Market Paperback)

In the wake of a summer storm, terror descends...

New York Times bestselling author Stephen King suspends a small town in a haze of terror-as humanity makes its last stand against unholy destruction...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:45 -0400)

A group of neighbors trapped in a grocery store by a supernatural mist--which may have been unintentionally unleashed by a nearby military base--must fight the horriFIC

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,252,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible