Mist, The by Stephen King

Title:Mist, The
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2007), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 230 pages

The Mist by Stephen King

The Old One by Todd Brabander (Pigletto)
    American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett (sparemethecensor)
    The Complete Fiction by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you enjoyed what is perhaps King's best Lovecraftian work, you'll probably get a kick out of the original.
    Clickers II: The Next Wave by J. F. Gonzalez (Scottneumann)

English (26)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
This novel scared the hell out of me ( )
  DonCranford | Dec 3, 2013 |
This leaves a lot of unanswered questions hanging in the air but that doesn't bother me. After finishing, my insides feel knotted. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
So. I'll never be looking at mist the same again. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | May 7, 2013 |
First of all, buy Skeleton Crew, not this book - Skeleton Crew has this exact story and many many many GREAT others. I bought this version after reading it in Skeleton Crew because I loved the story so much I wanted a copy of it separate from the other stories.

This has quickly become one of my all-time favorite books (ahem, novella, excuse me). I should point out that this may be largely due to the fact that I LOVE the original Silent Hill game series, and this is similar enough that I would highly recommend it to any and all fans of the Silent Hill series. Silent Hill taught me long before reading this, that: if a strange thick mist comes into town, try not to leave the building without at least taking a crowbar or something to defend yourself with. (A gun is preferable, but as most Silent Hill gamers know, ammunition is incredibly precious and hard to come by. So, have a back-up.)

However, added to the mix in *this* story is something (something I won't give away) that makes even a gun an impossibly futile form of defense. This "something" is directly on the lines of another interest of mine, which again, may be an influencing factor in why I love this book/novella so much.

I also enjoy this story because I enjoy survival horror/ghost novels where surviving becomes incredibly challenging and the main characters themselves almost revert to an animal-like existence. What I mean by that is they get used to going about their day as if each and every moment could be their last because at any moment they could be set upon by a predator who (like every other living thing) needs food to live. I like that "real-ness" - it adds a rationality to the actions of "the bad guys" that is completely believable, understandable, even universal, and nonetheless absolutely terrifying. Most people don't want to see a zebra or gazelle get overpowered and torn apart by lions, but it happens because lions need to eat like everything else. And I'm pretty sure a lot of people (or, at least some), like me, have wondered what it might feel like to be the zebra or gazelle in an absolutely hopeless situation. This book is kind of like that - it explores those possibilities.

Something great aside from all this is the fantastic example of "Murphy's Law" that occurs in the supermarket in one memorable scene. Everything that can go wrong... does... go... wrong...

And some might not like the lack of a "tied-up" ending, but I like when some endings are left ambiguous and this was one that worked for me. *Especially* the way it was worded. (Although, I must say, I very strongly disagree with Stephen King that "those two words" at the end of the novella sound ANYTHING alike, the way he claims they do.) ( )
  H.Jo | May 6, 2013 |
Perhaps it's cheating to have this marked as a separate book, since I also have the book of short stories it's in, from the library. It's a novella, really, although it probably could've been more, given the open end to it. Stephen King is pretty good at writing apocalyptic fiction, and I'm really fond of the way he does characters. Worth reading! Although don't buy the novella, get [b:Skeleton Crew|13440|Skeleton Crew|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166552914s/13440.jpg|1814] -- more for your money. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This is what happened. On the night of the worst heat wave in northern New England history finally broke -- the night of July 19th -- the entire western Maine region eas lashed with the most vicious thunder storm I have ever seen.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451223292, Mass Market Paperback)

In the wake of a summer storm, terror descends...

New York Times bestselling author Stephen King suspends a small town in a haze of terror-as humanity makes its last stand against unholy destruction...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:37 -0400)

A group of neighbors trapped in a grocery store by a supernatural mist--which may have been unintentionally unleashed by a nearby military base--must fight the horriFIC

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible