Life During Wartime by Lucius Shepard

Life During Wartime (1987)

by Lucius Shepard

After starting it a number of times I finally finished this book. And note here that it is not the book I'm looking for. I keep being deceived by the description of a man drawn into a conflict by a psychic woman. That is one interpretation of what passes for a plot in this book. What a conflict of private families mapped onto an international conflict adds to a discussion on the effects of war, I can't say.
Episodic, angry, descriptive, but not satisfying. ( )
  quondame | Jan 23, 2018 |
I have to say I was quite disappointed with Life During Wartime, not only is it not science fiction in the typical sense of an advanced future it also wasn't really a war story. More of a hallucinogenic tale of a soldier developing psychic powers and hooking up (multiple times) with a fellow psychic.

There's a considerable amount of sex and not a great deal of action in this readers opinion.
  HenriMoreaux | Apr 7, 2017 |
Gritty and cinematic, this is War. I guess I'd call it Heinlein's Troopers on acid or something like that. The jungle is like another character – it’s just downright oppressive, and even made it difficult to read the book at times. I found myself wondering if Shepard was any fun to read because this novelistic war game can get tedious after while. However, there is a certain very visceral immediacy about him that I can admire. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
The Vietnam War transposed to Guatemala and set in an unspecified future or parallel time when drugs and ESP are used to create the ultimate warriors in an endless war of competing illusions. A little disappointing that in the end, his lush mythology doesn't really transcend the classic American pulp ideal of One Strong Man and One Beautiful Woman Against the World. On the plus side, this man can really write, and I love genre authors who can do that. And his Central America is one I recognize as physically and psychically real, an "imaginary garden with real toads in it." ( )
  CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
A kind of SF version of 'Apocalypse Now', with the same miasmic feel, this is bleak, unsettling, graphically violent and sexual, and intelligent. While the overarching plot framework is weak at times, the book shines when it's focusing on the minds and societies destroyed by war. ( )
  salimbol | Jun 7, 2013 |

Shepard, Luciusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Potter, J. K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Terry Carr
One of the new Sikorsky gunships, an element of the First Air Cavalry with the words Whispering Death painted on its side, gave Mingolla and Gilbey and Baylor a lift from the Ant Farm to San Francisco de Juticlan, a small town located inside the green zone, which on the latest maps was designated Free Occupied Guatemala.

David Mingolla is one of many drug-pumped grunts slugging it out in the rotten jungles of Guatemala, an expendable pawn in an endless, amoral war. Then he meets Debora, an enigmatic young woman who may be working for the enemy, and stumbles into the deadly war zone of psychic conflict where the mind is the greatest woapon, and thoughts are used to kill.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

In the jungles of Guatemala, David Mingolla is struggling to survive amongst the rotting vegetation and his despairing fellow foot soldiers. He knows he is nothing but an expendable pawn in an endless war. On R & R a few miles away from the warzone he meets Debora - an enigmatic young woman who may be working for the enemy - and stumbles into a deadly psychic conflict where the mind is the greatest weapon.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,467,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible