Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Ashes in the Wind

by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Ashes in the Wind is the fourth book by Woodiwiss that I have read. This is the first book by her that I have rated five stars. Although she was an amazing writer, I could not stand the jerky a-hole heroes that were in two of the other books and the awful heroine in Shanna and the fact that that hero was attracted to someone like her!
There is much to admire in the hero and heroine in Ai/tW. The beginning and ending were definitely five star, the middle did lag a little but I still did not want to put the book down! Great read. ( )
  mary23nm | Feb 27, 2019 |
I read this book as a teen-ager and it was just as good the second time around. A perfect mix of romance and historical accounting in one complete story. ( )
  JansenSchmidt | Oct 24, 2018 |
L'autrice si cimenta con l'arduo compito del confronto con Via col vento: il risultato è una storia avvincente, anche se troppo farcita di aggettivi.
Ottimo rapporto prezzo-numero di pagine, per l'edizione economica: non è un capolavoro, ma sono soldi spesi bene, pur tenendo presente che c'è di meglio.
Due stelle e mezza, tre piene non le vale, rispetto ad altri romanzi che le hanno meritate. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
Read this book many, many years ago and loved it. ( )
  jessicajames | Feb 19, 2016 |
This story is in the epic scope of Gone with the Wind. In fact there is one character that reminds me very much of Scarlet O'Hara. Luckily she isn't the female lead. When I originally read this book I formed a deep abiding loathing for Roberta Craighugh. She is a self-center, whiny, spoiled young woman that wouldn’t know the meaning of sacrifice if it stood up and bit her. She reminds me a lot of the younger generations of today. Her sense of entitlement is staggering considering the devastation that is all around her. I was sorry to see her get so much of this story and must of her interactions with the plot I sped through. She sets my teeth on edge and it is hard to read about her. Other than this blight on humanity the rest of the story is a sweeping tale of the hardships of war and what some must do to survive the hatred and anger on both side of the conflict.

Alaina "Al" McGaren is a young girl, just coming upon her eighteenth birthday; since the war started she has buried a father and brother and finally her mother. When she is accused of spying by a thwarted beau she dons the disguise of a boy and heads for her uncle house in New Orleans. You have to admire a person that would degrade themselves in order to survive. Alaina put dirt on her face and in her hair. She finds ragged men’s clothing and shoes and dresses in them. She straps down her breasts and cut her hair so she will not be noticed. It doesn’t end there though. When she reaches her uncle’s house she realizes that she is going to have to work in order to help with expenses. She takes a job cleaning the Yankee hospital, a job that no woman of breeding would take at the time. Her time at the hospital teaches her that the Yankees and the Confederates are both just people doing what they think is right. She never backs down from the hard work however. It takes almost two thirds of the book for her to find any real happiness. She is pursued by a criminal intent on making her his mistress. She is wrongly accused of murder and robbery. One of her flaws is that her pride is much bigger than she is and there are times that she cuts her nose off to spite her face.

Cole Latimer is an officer in the Union Army. He is a doctor and surgeon and he rescues the young boy named Al. I am not sure why it takes him so long to see past the disguise of Al and notice the woman Alaina. Cole is dedicated to his craft and he is very good at healing. He is a compassionate man that has a temper and need to be love although he doesn’t know in the earlier parts of the story. He hates the war and the all the carnage that it has caused. In many ways he suffers as much as Alaina does. He is forced into a marriage that is miserable and filled with hate and lies. I felt sorry for him having to deal with Roberta luckily the marriage doesn’t last long. Roberta dies from a botched abortion because she refused to have her body marred by a child. Cole is also stubborn and more than a little set in his ways. It takes Alaina to set back on the proper course.

As with any of Ms. Woodiwiss's books there are a large number of secondary characters that make the story very enjoyable. There are also several villains that require being disposed of to finally be free of their malice. There is also lots of adventures for the pair as they come to love each other. There aren’t as many steamy love scenes in this book as there were in the first few. I think anyone that liked Gone with the Wind will enjoy this story as well. ( )
1 vote LadyIsis | May 25, 2015 |

Gone beneath the booted
Heel of WAR;
The million-legged worm
That crawls mindlessly across
My land and leaves behind
A tangled waste of broken lives
And lifeless bodies.

You have left me! Alone! Forlorn!
A toss like a leaf upon the flood.
Wherever I would set my feet and rest,
I find -- Despair.
You have rent the very fabric
Of my soul with your going.
You have fled my grasp,
And everywhere I turn, I find--
The hated smell of WAR,
That acrid scent of
Ashes! Ashes!
Ashes in the wind!
KEW
Dedicated to the memory of my parents--
Gladys and Charles--
In love--
KEW
Chapter 1
September 23, 1863
New Orleans

The wide, muddy river lapped with deceptive laziness at the foot of the levee, while a heavily laden riverboat ponderously picked a path through a bevy of Union warships.

A woman burdened by war...A doctor torn between passion and duty...A sweeping tale of love in the face of dishonor from the incomparable storyteller--Kathleen Woodiwiss.

Alaina MacGaren is forced to flee the devastation of her homeland in the guise of a young boy, only to find sanctuary in the arms of an enemy. Cole Latimer is a dashing Yankee surgeon who has served the Union faithfully, and his tender heart compels him to help a ragged, innocent "lad" in need--never suspecting the rags conceal a bewitching belle suspected of being a rebel spy.

But Alaina's masquerade does not fool Cole for long. And the strength, courage, and breathtaking sensuality of this woman whom it would be treasonous to love sets duty and desire at war within him. Yet Destiny has joined them for good or ill--and they both must follow where their hearts would lead them, if they are to build a glorious new life together out of the ashes of the old.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:25 -0400)

"Disguised as a ragged, dirty-faced boy, lovely Alaina MacGaren flees the Yankee troops ravaging her plantation and makes her way by riverboat to New Orleans, hoping to find refuge with her only surviving kin. Her waifish appearance attracts the compassion of a handsome Yankee surgeon, Captain Cole Latimer, who gives the "lad" a job as a hospital orderly. Little does he know that beneath the boy's clothes is a beautiful young woman whose destiny is deliciously and dangerously linked with his! Once in New Orleans, Alaina's spoiled cousin, Roberta, takes a fancy to the Captain, and Alaina, seething with anger at the "bluebellies" who killed her parents and destroyed her home, is disgusted by her cousin's posturings. Yet it is Alaina who saves the Captain's life when he is attacked on the road one night and left for dead. Filled with mixed emotions, she brings him home, and he, delirious and convinced he is in a brothel, tenderly but forcefully takes her to bed! Afterwards, Alaina runs off in confusion, and when Cole awakens, it is the conniving Roberta he finds beside him-and honorably marries, though he cannot understand why the passions of his new bride are so different from his memory of that first, wondrous night! Just as Cole discovers Alaina's true identity and realizes that she was the delicious hoyden who shared his bed, Alaina flees, accused of ambushing a Union Army pay wagon-a price placed on her head! Alaina and Cole's passionate story sweeps from the gracious old-world elegance of New Orleans through the great war-torn plantations of the South to the raw beauty of the Minnesota woodlands, where finally, in the ashes of their old lives, they discover the glowing embers of a spirited new love."--Jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,529,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible