Bartholomew and the oobleck by Dr. Seuss

Bartholomew and the oobleck

by Dr. Seuss

Classic Seuss. Long, but with an excellent theme of standing up to authority when necessary and doing the right thing. Also, wonderful excuse to make oobleck in science or just for fun. ( )
  kradish | Jun 27, 2014 |
A very creative book for little children. This book is about a boy and a King. The boy observes and notices that the King is sick of the four natural weather patterns that come from the sky, the sunshine, rain, fog, and hail. The king summons the sorcerers to bring down the oobleck which brings frustration to the people of the palace. The oobleck adds to the fun of the story and shows us how it can frustrate something so worthy as a castle. The boy and the king come to a conclusion of apologizing so that the oobleck will go away. I recommend this book for K-3 graders. ( )
  sabdelaz | Apr 26, 2014 |
Good book for teaching students different states of matter, but of course from Dr. Seuss point of view.
  MirandaR | Dec 8, 2013 |
I know the point of the book has nothing to do with the Oobleck, and this probably makes me as bad as the king, but I still wish it would actually oobleck on me someday. I always thought the stuff looked like a lot of fun. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
Bartholomew and the OObleck

This is a Dr. Seuss book so you know it is full of weird sounding names. Bartholomew is a boy who must save his kingdom from a bad choice the king made. The king decided that he had grown tired of seeing bright and shiny days, so he told the magician to make the weather change to rain and fog. The magician made a mistake and created Oobleck which is a grouse green yucky slime. The Oobleck covered everything, but no matter how much the boy warned people they did not listen. The Oobleck finally got on the king and he realized the mistake he made and he said the magic words “I’m Sorry”, and the magicians spell reversed and the Oobleck melted away and all were happy.

Extension:

Students can become magicians and create their own Oobleck.
Students can write a story about something that happened to them when they did not listen and how they resolved it.
  chrisyt | Oct 30, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800753, Hardcover)

Bartholomew and the Oobleck easily qualifies as a Seuss classic, first told way back in 1949. And its message--the importance of owning up to your mistakes and saying that you're sorry--is as timeless now as it was then.

Bartholomew Cubbins serves thanklessly as pageboy to King Derwin of Didd, a headstrong man who's decided he isn't satisfied with mere sun, fog, rain, and snow. ("Humph! The things that come down from my sky!") He wants something else, something uniquely his own, so he calls in his royal magicians ("Shuffle, duffle, muzzle, muff. Fista, wista, mista-cuff. We are men of groans and howls, mystic men who eat boiled owls"). Happy to oblige, the magicians tell the king they can make "oobleck" fall from the sky, only nobody--not even the magicians--knows just what oobleck is. But after a night of arcane incantations, everyone in the kingdom gets a taste of the stuff (in the case of the Captain of the Guard, literally!), as the green, gluey goo gums up everything in sight.

Of course, Bartholomew tries to help, but it's up to the king to save the day, as he learns to utter not magic words but simple words with magic in them: "I'm sorry." (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:26 -0400)

The King, tired of rain, snow, sun and fog, commands his magicians to make something else come down from the sky, but when oobleck falls, in sticky greenish droplets, Bartholomew Cubbins shames the King and saves the kingdom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,054,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible