Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr.…

Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories (original 1951; edition 1958)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:goddesspt2
Title:Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House (1958), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 96 pages

Yertle the Turtle by Dr. Seuss (1951)

I love this book. It incorporates a three stories addressing morals and the result of having to be the best the best(which is not always the best) I like how Dr. Seuss was able to make a fun, humorous story addressing real life problems. ( )
  RiaO | Nov 28, 2013 |
While I was aware of this story and the others in the book as a child, I didn't read this one very often since I didn't own it. I actually asked my fiance to read this to me before bed - and then of course promptly fell asleep, but it was nice nonetheless. I re-read it the next day. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
I recently read that this one has appeared (as have six other of Geisel’s books) on banned books lists throughout the United States and Canada. This story ends with, “And the turtles, of course…all the turtles are free. As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.” What a great line and a wonderful message this is. Though this is one of Seuss’s shortest and most popular stories, his messages of authoritarianism and empowerment ring clear. Dr. Seuss admitted that his source for this story was the rise of Hitler (just like Yertle rose above the rest by stacking more and more turtles underneath him to gain more power). ( )
  YvetteKolstad | May 11, 2013 |
Yertle the turtle is the king of the pond, but he wants more. He gets other turtles to stack on top of each other so he can be high and see for a mile. When he gets up there he declare himself king of everything because he is higher than everything except the moon. So then he wants to go higher, but he falls into the mud and he is king of the mud and the other turtles are free. ( )
  Gabe77 | Feb 28, 2012 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's about a turtle, called Yertle, who is a king and forces all the other turtles to stand on one another just so he can climb up and be on top of the world. When he looks out and finds something that is higher than him, he brings in more turtles to help carry him. I really loved this book because it's interesting to see how political it really is, which hits an audience of all kinds of age groups. One of the powerful messages the book delivers is how to be considerate and not be greedy. I would recommend it for kids to read it, but I would also like it if these kids were to return to it later on in the years, because then they'd have a different kind of reading of what the book is delivering. ( )
  SarahAZ | Dec 22, 2011 |
This book is for The Bartletts of Norwich, Vt. and for The Sagmasters of Cincinnati, Ohio
On the far-away Island of Sala-ma-Sond,
Yertle the Turtle was king of the pond.

Contains: Yertle the turtle -- Gertrude McFuzz -- The big brag

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800877, Hardcover)

Yet more wisdom cast down from high atop Mt. Seuss, this cheerful trio of tales teaches some valuable lessons in humility--thanks to a sharp-eyed worm, a bragging bear and rabbit, a fuzzy-tailed bird, and a couple hundred turtles led by their foolish King Yertle.

Yertle's story leads off with his attempt to build a bigger kingdom on the backs of his loyal subjects (literally). King of everything he can see, Yertle orders his turtles to stack up under him to build a towering throne. ("He made each turtle stand on another one's back and he piled them all up in a nine-turtle stack.") But a plain little turtle named Mack--stuck at the bottom--decides he's had enough. ("I know up on top you are seeing great sights, but down on the bottom we, too, should have rights!")

Following Yertle's downfall, a whiny girl-bird named Gertrude McFuzz wishes she had two feathers, just like Miss Lolla-Lee-Lou: "One droopy-droop feather. That's all that she had. And, oh! That one feather made Gertrude so sad." But even when Gertrude gets her wish--and then some--she finds that vanity has its price. Meanwhile, in "The Big Brag," a proud rabbit and an even-prouder bear duke it out in a battle of the senses, arguing over who's the best of the beasts, only to get their clever comeuppance from a wild-eyed little worm. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:21 -0400)

Includes three humorous stories in verse: Yertle the Turtle, Gertrude McFuzz, and The Big Brag.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,965,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible