The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins by Dr.…

The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins (1938)

by Dr. Seuss

Summary: Bartholomew Cubbins is having a lovely day in his very ordinary hat until the King comes through and demands his hat be removed to show respect to the king, and whenever Bartholomew removes a hat, another takes its place on his head. He is promptly taken to the castle where all the king's men try desperately to get his hat(s) off.
Genre: This makes a good fairytale/fantasy because it takes place in a faraway kingdom that is very fairytale-esque and has magic causing problems while he tries to interact with royalty.
Classroom use: Fun story! Good for a younger classroom's class library ( )
  AmandaLK | Mar 2, 2015 |
This is a modern fantasy book. This is a great imagination and intriguing book! I think it would be great to use as a way to get kids imaginations stirring. This is a story about Bartholomew who whenever he tries to take off his hat, another one appears! The story follows him and the king of his land as his king is trying any and all things possible to get the hats to stop appearing one after another on his head. ( )
  kfrost32 | Jan 27, 2015 |
I think this is the absolute best of Dr. Seuss's books. It's a really fun story that doesn't teach an overt lesson; it's truly absurd and takes between 20 and 23 minutes to read aloud. Every kid I've ever read it to (and I taught preschool for several years) has loved it.

NatalieSW | Jan 1, 2015 |
I chose this book because it is unlike any other Dr. Seuss book I have ever read. Although I did not enjoy the book that much, I am still glad that I selected it to review. Compared to most other Dr. Seuss books, this one is quite unique.
I'll start with the writing. Perhaps the lack of rhyming scheme that I am so used to is why this Seuss book in particular is different from the rest. Seuss chose to write this book using a prose technique. For those who don't know what it means to write in prose, it means to use complete sentences and proper grammar, rather than a rhyming technique. Although this book still tells the story of a fantasy adventure as do most of his other books, the presence of such prose writing completely throws me off. I even found myself reading the text and inserting my own rhythm to the words, as if my brain was attempting to make sense of what I was reading. I found the text too wordy and the setting was unoriginal. I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan.
As for the illustrations, I am so undecided. I have always loved the cartoonist side of Dr. Seuss. He illustrates his own book with his own special technique. However, unlike many of the books that I am used to, the illustrations don't take up the whole page. The words take up most of the pages and are simply written on white space. There are even a few pages where there is a page filled with words and no illustrations! An example of this is when Bartholomew was in the throne room and the magicians were chanting deep and mysterious sounds. On the left page is an illustration to accompany the text, but on the right page is no illustration at all! When comparing to other books, Seuss generally writes his text over his illustrations. When he does in fact write on white space, it is generally written on a space that is meant to be a wall or ceiling, like what he does in The Cat in the Hat. Again, I don't like the lack of illustrations.
I had a hard time determining the overall message or big idea of this book. I actually had to conduct some research in order to even begin to construct a big idea. I found one review that the book was about bullying. I somewhat agree with this as the entire story revolved around the fact that Bartholomew did not remove his hat to the king, and the king felt disrespected. Therefore, the king wanted to show his authoritative powers and discipline Bartholomew. Overall, I simply found the plot uninspiring to me. I found that it lacked a message or idea for the reader to determine. ( )
  Andrewturner | Oct 25, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
In the beginning, Bartholomew Cubbins didn't have five hundred hats.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039484484X, Hardcover)

The haughty ruler of Didd, King Derwin (who would foolishly go on to summon green goo from the sky in his later years) showed the first signs of his silly self-importance back in this 1938 Seuss classic, The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.

When Bartholomew visits town one day, selling cranberries at the market for his parents, the King's procession screeches to a halt in front of him; King Derwin then leans out of his coach, demanding to know why Bartholomew hasn't respectfully removed his hat. "But, Sire, my hat is off." He shows the king the hat in his hands that he's just doffed, but sure enough, another identical one sits atop his head. He takes that hat off only to reveal another... and another, and another, and another. Poor Bartholomew goes through 45 hats, then 136, then 233, as the angry king calls in every expert in the kingdom, from Sir Snipps the haberdasher to the Father of the Father of Nadd. In the end, Bartholomew barely gets away with his head (forget about the hats!), as Seuss spins this weird and wacky tale, a strange thing that "just happened to happen and was not very likely to happen again." (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:37 -0400)

Each time Bartholomew Cubbins attempts to obey the King's order to take off his hat, he finds there is another one on his head.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,857,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible