Fire Within by Chris D'lacey

Fire Within (original 2001; edition 2007)

by Chris D'lacey

Member:Pebblesgmc
Title:Fire Within
Authors:Chris D'lacey
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2007), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Chris D'Lacey, Last Dragon Chronicles, SF, Fantasy

The Fire Within by Chris D'Lacey (2001)

Recently added byprivate library, Richard_Moore, DobbyHasWings, mtlkch, shadana, kel.wright, disnerdlife

David, a University student moves in with Liz and her daughter, Lucy. Liz makes clay dragons and Lucy is a champion for squirrels. There's something unusual about the dragons and David finds himself involved in the rescue of Lucy's favorite squirrel, Conker. It's juvenile fiction and at first I thought it was too simple; I almost didn't continue reading. But about halfway through, it got very interesting indeed. My only complaint is that the book is English and has, for some ridiculous reason, been Americanized so instead of being located in England, it takes place in Massachusetts. The entire time I was reading, I was picturing England. I'd like to get my hands on the English versions but unfortunately, they're quite expensive so that's not likely to happen. I don't understand why books are changed like this. Still (with England in my mind), I really liked it. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
This book was really cute. I'm going to buy it and read it to my 5 year old son. Perfect for small children ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
This is about a family that consists of a mother and a daughter who are renting one of there rooms to strangers. One day a stranger did come and take the room he is there for collage. Little does he know that this family is very odd. The mom makes dragons for a living and the daughter has a strange fetish for squirrels. Soon he discovers that the girl names some of the squirrels that she sees but all of them have gone missing but one. one has a bad eye that it cant see out of, and the mom made a dragon for him but it wasn't any normal dragon it was a special dragon that could talk to him in a way but he didn't know that yet. He went to the local book store and figured out that his mean neighbor worked there so he went to the local garden where he found nuts and acorns. he brought some home and made a trap to attract the squirrel but instead he caught a different squirrel. So the girl talks to her dragon and gets that squirrel to go find the blind one. in the end they find the squirrel and the guy rights a book with his dragon about the whole story ( )
  nicholasvb1 | Mar 15, 2015 |
Very young adult...well, the chapters aren't even numbered but I picked up the third book at a book sale and wanted to start from the beginning. I loved it and am going to pass it on to my nephews. Sweet, magical story. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
for Jay
who had the first Snigger
and will almost certainly have the last laugh
"Well, here we are," Mrs Pennykettle said, pausing by the door of the room she had for rent.

Best-selling author, Chris d'Lacey, brings us a magical story about mysterious hand crafted clay dragons who have unusual powers.

When David moves in with Liz and Lucy, he discovers a collection of hand crafted, clay dragons that comes to life and has magical powers. David's personalized dragon, Gadzooks, can forecast the future, and inspires him to write a story which reveals the truth behind an unsolved mystery close to home. The story has an unhappy ending, and when David realizes the consequences of it he is angry. Then David finds Gadzooks crying and near death, and he discovers that these special dragons die when they are not loved. Soon David is forced to save his friend and unlock the powers of the fire within.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

When college student David Rain rents a room in an unusual boardinghouse full of clay dragons, he has no idea that they, along with some lively squirrels, will help jumpstart his writing career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,772,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible