Fire Within by Chris D'lacey

Fire Within (original 2001; edition 2007)

by Chris D'lacey

Member:Pebblesgmc
Title:Fire Within
Authors:Chris D'lacey
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2007), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Chris D'Lacey, Last Dragon Chronicles, SF, Fantasy

The Fire Within by Chris D'Lacey (2001)

This is about a family that consists of a mother and a daughter who are renting one of there rooms to strangers. One day a stranger did come and take the room he is there for collage. Little does he know that this family is very odd. The mom makes dragons for a living and the daughter has a strange fetish for squirrels. Soon he discovers that the girl names some of the squirrels that she sees but all of them have gone missing but one. one has a bad eye that it cant see out of, and the mom made a dragon for him but it wasn't any normal dragon it was a special dragon that could talk to him in a way but he didn't know that yet. He went to the local book store and figured out that his mean neighbor worked there so he went to the local garden where he found nuts and acorns. he brought some home and made a trap to attract the squirrel but instead he caught a different squirrel. So the girl talks to her dragon and gets that squirrel to go find the blind one. in the end they find the squirrel and the guy rights a book with his dragon about the whole story ( )
  nicholasvb1 | Mar 15, 2015 |
Very young adult...well, the chapters aren't even numbered but I picked up the third book at a book sale and wanted to start from the beginning. I loved it and am going to pass it on to my nephews. Sweet, magical story. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
I was really disappointed by this novel. While everything about its cover and blurb scream dragon, they actually only form a tiny portion of the story and could really be removed from the plot with little problem. The actual focus of this tale is on a young man and a little girl's attempts to capture an injured squirrel. That's really all their is to it. While I wouldn't have minded so much if the story had been marketed in this way, I expected a little more from a book with a dragon on the cover.

The characterisation was also really off when it came to the adult characters. While Lucy was a believable eleven year old, David was supposed to be twenty and he behaved just like her. Liz was also wildly inconsistent - repeatedly getting angry with David for not believing that the clay dragons were real while simultaneously refusing to confirm that they were alive.

While I did find the climax intriguing (and hope that the dragon lore is further developed in Icefire) I felt that this exposition was far too late coming and just further emphasised the pacing issues with the story. Perhaps if this dragon development had been better spaced out throughout the story it would have been a little better but I was unfortunately left disappointed. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Dec 10, 2014 |
The Fire Within is a mysterios book that has held many secrets about the magic of the dragons. Witness the amazing, magical dragon help David on his magical adventure and writing his book. I really liked this book because you couldn't expect anything that would happen because it was always a mystery. Once i found out that this was a series, i was jumping and screaming like a little girl. ( )
  JSIS-Reviews | Jun 3, 2014 |
for Jay
who had the first Snigger
and will almost certainly have the last laugh
"Well, here we are," Mrs Pennykettle said, pausing by the door of the room she had for rent.

Best-selling author, Chris d'Lacey, brings us a magical story about mysterious hand crafted clay dragons who have unusual powers.

When David moves in with Liz and Lucy, he discovers a collection of hand crafted, clay dragons that comes to life and has magical powers. David's personalized dragon, Gadzooks, can forecast the future, and inspires him to write a story which reveals the truth behind an unsolved mystery close to home. The story has an unhappy ending, and when David realizes the consequences of it he is angry. Then David finds Gadzooks crying and near death, and he discovers that these special dragons die when they are not loved. Soon David is forced to save his friend and unlock the powers of the fire within.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:42 -0400)

When college student David Rain rents a room in an unusual boardinghouse full of clay dragons, he has no idea that they, along with some lively squirrels, will help jumpstart his writing career.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,145,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible