Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Diary

by Chuck Palahniuk

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (ACannon92)
    ACannon92: Similar Writing Style, Similar Topics
    The Palace of Dreams by Ismail Kadare (Cecilturtle)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (twomoredays)
    twomoredays: The entire time I was reading The Gargoyle I was reminded of Palahniuk's work. Marianne of The Gargoyle reminds me of some of Palahniuk's female characters, but at the same time everything is cast in such a different light in Davidson's work that it stands apart. Fans of Diary may very well be interested in The Gargoyle and likewise fans of The Gargoyle should check out Diary.… (more)

English (78)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (80)
I really liked the set-up behind this book. Palahniuk does a great job of setting up the suspense and the mystery behind the motivations of Misty's husband and his failing resort home-town.

The problem for me was it seemed to rush into the ending too quickly, about half-way through the book feels rushed and while I still liked it, it just didn't live up to my initial expectations. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I found this book to be absolutely insane (in a good way). Totally mind-blowing. I loved how everything ended. Palahniuk's words are harsh and his ideas are out-there, but he weaves those two things together to make a beautiful, interesting story. Honestly, I thought the book was pure genius. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
No, no I cannot.

Oh, Chuck Palahniuk. Only you would decide that it was a great idea to essentially write a book in second person. Furthermore, there comes a time in everyone's life where they've heard of things you find new and shiny prior to you writing about them.. this just.. it didn't work for me.

I enjoyed the basic premise of the book - the legend of the island, the idea of rooms sealed away. Beyond that, though.. the book fell short for me. I had trouble getting past the distraction of "really? second person?" and facepalming at his idea of what the Jains did.

Oh well. We'll always have [b:Fight Club|5759|Fight Club|Chuck Palahniuk|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165544411s/5759.jpg|68729]. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Wow. Palahniuk's best, in my surely unpopular opinion. There are passages in this book that quite honestly took my breath away. Seriously, several times I had to stop and reread a particularly divine passage ten or twelve times, and then I'd remember to breathe. No book affected me more this year. ( )
  5hrdrive | Dec 26, 2017 |

Chuck Palahniukprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bekker, Jos denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather, Joseph Tallent, who told me to be whatever I wanted. 1910-2003
Today, a man called from Long Beach.
We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.
We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.
(Je těžké zapomenout na bolest, ale ještě těžší je pamatovat si to pěkné. Po štěstí nám nezůstanou žádné jizvy. Z klidu a míru se tak pramálo poučíme. (s. 188))
Where do you get your inspiration?
Čemu nerozumíme, to si můžeme vysvětlit jakkoli. (s. 86)
Snad kvůli tomuhle ho Misty milovala. Milovala tě. Protože jsi v ni věřil o tolik víc, než si věřila sama. Očekával od ní o tolik víc, než od sebe očekávala sama. (s. 87)

“CAN YOU FEEL THIS?”

Chuck Palahniuk, the bestselling author of Fight Club, Choke, and Lullaby continues his twenty-first-century reinvention of the horror novel in this scary and profound look at our quest for some sort of immortality.

Diary takes the form of a “coma diary” kept by one Misty Tracy Wilmot as her husband lies senseless in a hospital after a suicide attempt. Once she was an art student dreaming of creativity and freedom; now, after marrying Peter at school and being brought back to once quaint, now tourist-overrun Waytansea Island, she’s been reduced to the condition of a resort hotel maid. Peter, it turns out, has been hiding rooms in houses he’s remodeled and scrawling vile messages all over the walls—an old habit of builders but dramatically overdone in Peter’s case. Angry homeowners are suing left and right, and Misty’s dreams of artistic greatness are in ashes. But then, as if possessed by the spirit of Maura Kinkaid, a fabled Waytansea artist of the nineteenth century, Misty begins painting again, compulsively. But can her newly discovered talent be part of a larger, darker plan? Of course it can …
Diary is a dark, hilarious, and poignant act of storytelling from America’s favorite, most inventive nihilist. It is Chuck Palahniuk’s finest novel yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:26 -0400)

Misty Wilmot has had it. Once a promising young artist, she's now stuck on an island ruined by tourism, drinking too much and working as a waitress in a hotel. Her husband, a contractor, is in a coma after a suicide attempt, but that doesn't stop his clients from threatening Misty with lawsuits over a series of vile messages they've found on the walls of houses he remodeled. Suddenly, though, Misty finds her artistic talent returning as she begins a period of compulsive painting. Inspired but confused by this burst of creativity, she soon finds herself a pawn in a larger conspiracy that threatens to cost hundreds of lives. What unfolds is a dark, hilarious story from America's most inventive nihilist, and Palahniuk's most impressive work to date.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible