Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Diary (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Chuck Palahniuk

5,449None793 (3.5)65
Member:SerapiSreXuS
Title:Diary
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:Anchor Books (2003), Paperback
Tags:fiction

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk (2003)

21st century (14) American (27) American literature (17) art (55) artists (15) Chuck Palahniuk (25) coma (14) contemporary (20) contemporary fiction (26) dark (24) dark humor (24) diary (12) ebook (13) fiction (505) horror (78) humor (11) literature (15) mystery (33) nihilism (11) novel (72) own (28) palahniuk (33) read (75) reincarnation (13) satire (23) signed (16) suspense (17) thriller (15) to-read (41) unread (31)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (ACannon92)
    ACannon92: Similar Writing Style, Similar Topics
    The Palace of Dreams by Ismail Kadare (Cecilturtle)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (twomoredays)
    twomoredays: The entire time I was reading The Gargoyle I was reminded of Palahniuk's work. Marianne of The Gargoyle reminds me of some of Palahniuk's female characters, but at the same time everything is cast in such a different light in Davidson's work that it stands apart. Fans of Diary may very well be interested in The Gargoyle and likewise fans of The Gargoyle should check out Diary.… (more)

English (64)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (66)
I didn't like this one at all. ( )
  Djupstrom | Mar 29, 2014 |
Some asshole (or teenager, come to think of it) had circled every standalone sort-of-profundity in my, which called attention to some bits I wouldn't have dwelt upon otherwise. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
Excellent mind-fuck, such as Palahniuk is wont to write. ( )
1 vote MattP225 | Apr 27, 2013 |
Some funny stuff in there, but the plot was not that engaging to me. ( )
  ohernaes | Mar 13, 2013 |
I am usually wary of authors attempting narratives from the perspective of main characters of the opposite sex, but Palahniuk delivers. This book is about a woman dealing with the attempted suicide of her husband and the unravelling of a lifestyle she spent her entire life dreaming of and trying to obtain. She is sometimes infuriating in her relentless bitterness and sometimes pitiful and worthy of a reader's deepest sympathies, but she never stops being Misty, so kudos to Palahniuk. Woolf would be impressed, I'm sure. This isn't a nihilist fiction, but it is fatalist in its presentation and message. It's straight to the point, a bit terrifying in places, and thoroughly entertaining. Long-time fans and new readers alike should enjoy this novel. ( )
1 vote hovercraftofeels | Feb 11, 2013 |
For my grandfather, Joseph Tallent, who told me to be whatever I wanted. 1910-2003
Today, a man called from Long Beach.
We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.
We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.
(Je těžké zapomenout na bolest, ale ještě těžší je pamatovat si to pěkné. Po štěstí nám nezůstanou žádné jizvy. Z klidu a míru se tak pramálo poučíme. (s. 188))
Where do you get your inspiration?
Čemu nerozumíme, to si můžeme vysvětlit jakkoli. (s. 86)
Snad kvůli tomuhle ho Misty milovala. Milovala tě. Protože jsi v ni věřil o tolik víc, než si věřila sama. Očekával od ní o tolik víc, než od sebe očekávala sama. (s. 87)

“CAN YOU FEEL THIS?”

Chuck Palahniuk, the bestselling author of Fight Club, Choke, and Lullaby continues his twenty-first-century reinvention of the horror novel in this scary and profound look at our quest for some sort of immortality.

Diary takes the form of a “coma diary” kept by one Misty Tracy Wilmot as her husband lies senseless in a hospital after a suicide attempt. Once she was an art student dreaming of creativity and freedom; now, after marrying Peter at school and being brought back to once quaint, now tourist-overrun Waytansea Island, she’s been reduced to the condition of a resort hotel maid. Peter, it turns out, has been hiding rooms in houses he’s remodeled and scrawling vile messages all over the walls—an old habit of builders but dramatically overdone in Peter’s case. Angry homeowners are suing left and right, and Misty’s dreams of artistic greatness are in ashes. But then, as if possessed by the spirit of Maura Kinkaid, a fabled Waytansea artist of the nineteenth century, Misty begins painting again, compulsively. But can her newly discovered talent be part of a larger, darker plan? Of course it can …
Diary is a dark, hilarious, and poignant act of storytelling from America’s favorite, most inventive nihilist. It is Chuck Palahniuk’s finest novel yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:03 -0400)

Misty Wilmot has had it. Once a promising young artist, she's now stuck on an island ruined by tourism, drinking too much and working as a waitress in a hotel. Her husband, a contractor, is in a coma after a suicide attempt, but that doesn't stop his clients from threatening Misty with lawsuits over a series of vile messages they've found on the walls of houses he remodeled. Suddenly, though, Misty finds her artistic talent returning as she begins a period of compulsive painting. Inspired but confused by this burst of creativity, she soon finds herself a pawn in a larger conspiracy that threatens to cost hundreds of lives. What unfolds is a dark, hilarious story from America's most inventive nihilist, and Palahniuk's most impressive work to date.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible