Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Diary (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Chuck Palahniuk

Member:SerapiSreXuS
Title:Diary
Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:Anchor Books (2003), Paperback
Tags:fiction

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk (2003)

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (ACannon92)
    ACannon92: Similar Writing Style, Similar Topics
    The Palace of Dreams by Ismail Kadare (Cecilturtle)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (twomoredays)
    twomoredays: The entire time I was reading The Gargoyle I was reminded of Palahniuk's work. Marianne of The Gargoyle reminds me of some of Palahniuk's female characters, but at the same time everything is cast in such a different light in Davidson's work that it stands apart. Fans of Diary may very well be interested in The Gargoyle and likewise fans of The Gargoyle should check out Diary.… (more)

English (67)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (69)
Palahniuk, Chuck
Diary

Fiction
An artist, detoured by life into a bizarre marriage to a local scion and motherhood, finds herself being relentlessly maneuvered into taking up her paint brush again. The plot is rhythmically driven by diary entries and "weather" reports. "The weather today is increasing concern followed by full-blown dread." (The weather reports became my favorite part of the book — and now I come up with my own.) Comments addressed to and about her husband, who is now in a coma, punctuate the narrative and keep him a main character in the story. The impression that the narrator is possibly unreliable renders the unspooling of the underlying conspiracy of the story borderline atmospheric. The ending veers off at the last minute, ruining (in a good way) any confidence the reader might have had thinking that they knew what was going to happen. Great setting, great details, and interesting style elements make this a memorable reading experience. Reminiscent of Vonnegut's rhythmic repetitions, and Christopher Moore's Practical Demonkeeping came to mind because of the characters' eccentricities and attachment to place.
Recommended December 2013
  dawsong | Jun 15, 2015 |
Took me a long time (ummm...almost the whole book) to figure out what it was even about since my copy had no blurb - just praise for other Palahniuk books. It was interesting though. I liked the contrasting voices of the story (second person and third person). It reminded me a lot of Palahniuk's "I am Jack's {X}" from Fight Club. I don't know why.

Crappy review is crappy... ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 27, 2015 |
I didn't think I was enjoying this as much as his others until I found I couldn't put it down. Dark, but so imaginative. Very tightly plotted. I get tired of some of his literary devices, the repetition of "Just for the record," for example. But Palahniuk is an artist, no doubt about it. ( )
  keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
The Good: Misty's life is interesting and creepy. Her past, the things she goes through, how she deals with her life as it is now, everything just sucked me in. I could not put the book down.

The Bad: The story as a whole is great, but things sort of get muddled in the details. In an attempt to add a little paranormal twist to the story, things just get strange and stop making any type of rational sense. When we delve into who Misty is in the scheme of the universe and how she is destined to be found, it's clearly overkill. The additional eeriness was completely unnecessary. ( )
1 vote TequilaReader | Apr 24, 2014 |
I didn't like this one at all. ( )
  Djupstrom | Mar 29, 2014 |
For my grandfather, Joseph Tallent, who told me to be whatever I wanted. 1910-2003
Today, a man called from Long Beach.
We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.
We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.
(Je těžké zapomenout na bolest, ale ještě těžší je pamatovat si to pěkné. Po štěstí nám nezůstanou žádné jizvy. Z klidu a míru se tak pramálo poučíme. (s. 188))
Where do you get your inspiration?
Čemu nerozumíme, to si můžeme vysvětlit jakkoli. (s. 86)
Snad kvůli tomuhle ho Misty milovala. Milovala tě. Protože jsi v ni věřil o tolik víc, než si věřila sama. Očekával od ní o tolik víc, než od sebe očekávala sama. (s. 87)

“CAN YOU FEEL THIS?”

Chuck Palahniuk, the bestselling author of Fight Club, Choke, and Lullaby continues his twenty-first-century reinvention of the horror novel in this scary and profound look at our quest for some sort of immortality.

Diary takes the form of a “coma diary” kept by one Misty Tracy Wilmot as her husband lies senseless in a hospital after a suicide attempt. Once she was an art student dreaming of creativity and freedom; now, after marrying Peter at school and being brought back to once quaint, now tourist-overrun Waytansea Island, she’s been reduced to the condition of a resort hotel maid. Peter, it turns out, has been hiding rooms in houses he’s remodeled and scrawling vile messages all over the walls—an old habit of builders but dramatically overdone in Peter’s case. Angry homeowners are suing left and right, and Misty’s dreams of artistic greatness are in ashes. But then, as if possessed by the spirit of Maura Kinkaid, a fabled Waytansea artist of the nineteenth century, Misty begins painting again, compulsively. But can her newly discovered talent be part of a larger, darker plan? Of course it can …
Diary is a dark, hilarious, and poignant act of storytelling from America’s favorite, most inventive nihilist. It is Chuck Palahniuk’s finest novel yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:26 -0400)

Misty Wilmot has had it. Once a promising young artist, she's now stuck on an island ruined by tourism, drinking too much and working as a waitress in a hotel. Her husband, a contractor, is in a coma after a suicide attempt, but that doesn't stop his clients from threatening Misty with lawsuits over a series of vile messages they've found on the walls of houses he remodeled. Suddenly, though, Misty finds her artistic talent returning as she begins a period of compulsive painting. Inspired but confused by this burst of creativity, she soon finds herself a pawn in a larger conspiracy that threatens to cost hundreds of lives. What unfolds is a dark, hilarious story from America's most inventive nihilist, and Palahniuk's most impressive work to date.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,905,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible