Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Authors:Chuck Palahniuk
Info:Anchor Books (2003), Paperback
Tags:fiction

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (ACannon92)
    ACannon92: Similar Writing Style, Similar Topics
    The Palace of Dreams by Ismail Kadare (Cecilturtle)
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (twomoredays)
    twomoredays: The entire time I was reading The Gargoyle I was reminded of Palahniuk's work. Marianne of The Gargoyle reminds me of some of Palahniuk's female characters, but at the same time everything is cast in such a different light in Davidson's work that it stands apart. Fans of Diary may very well be interested in The Gargoyle and likewise fans of The Gargoyle should check out Diary.… (more)

English (72)  German (1)  French (1)  All (74)
this book perfectly exemplifies why i finish every book that i start. i actually thought to myself "i really could just put this down and never pick it up again" when i was about 75% of the way through. but then the last 20% of this book changed everything for me. (it would get less than 2 stars if not for the pretty fantastic ending.) until that point in the book i thought the entire thing was an overdone metaphor that was missing a solid story.

reading this i felt the same way i did when reading his choke - that some of it was brilliant and some of it was awful. he has these flashes of insight and luminosity, surrounded by swill. this book is strange, sometimes incoherent, and often annoyingly written, but the ideas all come together at the end in a way that i loved. (i think it makes the rest worth getting through, that 20% is wonderful.) in that last chunk of the book i even started to like all of the repeating phrases that i'd found so frustrating up until that point in the book. even the metaphoric stuff started to ring more true to me (especially the part about art's reflection of the artist).

i enjoyed the ending much more than the rest of this book, bringing it up to 2 stars. i don't know how much more of his stuff i want to read, but i'm unclear how i feel about him overall so will probably keep trying him out...

i did love this line, about life after misty had tabbi (whose name i kept reading as tabibi until that last 20% of the book when her name coalesced for me, as the story did): "Then Tabbi came along. Then Misty fell asleep and woke up fat and tired and middle-aged." ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 16, 2017 |
This novel was not as raw and twisted as some of Palahniuk's works-- which I mean as a compliment. The subtlety allowed me to just read the book without constantly being reminded that the author is sick and twisted. The plot, while making no attempt to be believable, was well spun and well told. Palahniuk did a superb job of weaving in a constant mood of dread which stuck with me during the entire read. This is probably my favorite of his novels that I've read. ( )
  technodiabla | Jan 12, 2017 |
2003 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
Good stuff.. ( )
  johnfishlock | Dec 18, 2015 |
(35) For some reason I thought I would never read or enjoy a novel by this author - based on something I heard, maybe about 'Fight Club,' but I forget what I heard and am really not sure why I have never read Palahniuk before. I chose this for a Halloween read after a little internet search for literary horror. Misty Marie Kleinman is writing in a diary after her husband is found in a coma from a suicide attempt. They live on Waytansea Island where tourists have overrun the locals. Strange happenings abound regarding art, inspiration, old folklore, mysterious writings found in walled off rooms that her husband worked on - they seem to suggest an upcoming apocalyptic event. Before long, Misty is drawn into an island-wide intrigue and it is not clear WTF is going on -- to the reader or the writer of said diary. But it is cleverly and sharply written in a visceral way that makes for great entertainment.

This is more of a psychological thriller as opposed to real horror or mystery - though there certainly are some mysteries and reveals. I found it a bit overwrought at parts especially about paint colors, and other art-type facts. But I loved the crazy storytelling from the mind of an increasingly deranged narrator. I loved the occasional grotesque description - the pin through the nipple, the pugilist pose with the uber-long fingernails, the knife in the shinbone, etc - very well-done re: chilling and bile-raising without being gory.

Definitely a good, if kooky, read and perfect for me for Halloween. Not scary. Not brain-teasingly mysterious. Really kind-of genre bending, hard to give it a name. Better written than Stephen King, less classy than Sarah Waters, crazier than Tana French but in a way reminiscent and recommended by those who like those authors. I will definitely read him again if I am in the mood to suspend my disbelief and be slightly shocked and repelled. ( )
1 vote jhowell | Oct 28, 2015 |

Chuck Palahniukprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bekker, Jos denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandfather, Joseph Tallent, who told me to be whatever I wanted. 1910-2003
Today, a man called from Long Beach.
We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.
We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.
(Je těžké zapomenout na bolest, ale ještě těžší je pamatovat si to pěkné. Po štěstí nám nezůstanou žádné jizvy. Z klidu a míru se tak pramálo poučíme. (s. 188))
Where do you get your inspiration?
Čemu nerozumíme, to si můžeme vysvětlit jakkoli. (s. 86)
Snad kvůli tomuhle ho Misty milovala. Milovala tě. Protože jsi v ni věřil o tolik víc, než si věřila sama. Očekával od ní o tolik víc, než od sebe očekávala sama. (s. 87)

“CAN YOU FEEL THIS?”

Chuck Palahniuk, the bestselling author of Fight Club, Choke, and Lullaby continues his twenty-first-century reinvention of the horror novel in this scary and profound look at our quest for some sort of immortality.

Diary takes the form of a “coma diary” kept by one Misty Tracy Wilmot as her husband lies senseless in a hospital after a suicide attempt. Once she was an art student dreaming of creativity and freedom; now, after marrying Peter at school and being brought back to once quaint, now tourist-overrun Waytansea Island, she’s been reduced to the condition of a resort hotel maid. Peter, it turns out, has been hiding rooms in houses he’s remodeled and scrawling vile messages all over the walls—an old habit of builders but dramatically overdone in Peter’s case. Angry homeowners are suing left and right, and Misty’s dreams of artistic greatness are in ashes. But then, as if possessed by the spirit of Maura Kinkaid, a fabled Waytansea artist of the nineteenth century, Misty begins painting again, compulsively. But can her newly discovered talent be part of a larger, darker plan? Of course it can …
Diary is a dark, hilarious, and poignant act of storytelling from America’s favorite, most inventive nihilist. It is Chuck Palahniuk’s finest novel yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:26 -0400)

Misty Wilmot has had it. Once a promising young artist, she's now stuck on an island ruined by tourism, drinking too much and working as a waitress in a hotel. Her husband, a contractor, is in a coma after a suicide attempt, but that doesn't stop his clients from threatening Misty with lawsuits over a series of vile messages they've found on the walls of houses he remodeled. Suddenly, though, Misty finds her artistic talent returning as she begins a period of compulsive painting. Inspired but confused by this burst of creativity, she soon finds herself a pawn in a larger conspiracy that threatens to cost hundreds of lives. What unfolds is a dark, hilarious story from America's most inventive nihilist, and Palahniuk's most impressive work to date.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,881,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible