The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

The Atrocity Archives (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Charles Stross

Info:Ace (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Audiobooks
Rating:***
Tags:audiobook, sci-fi, 12 in 12

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (2004)

Declare by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Apocalypse Door by James D. Macdonald (lorax)
    lorax: Okay, so the cosmology of the evil creatures from another world is Catholic rather than Lovecraftian, so you have demons instead of Cthulhu, but it's the same schtick of a secret group protecting civilization from unknown horrors via both supernatural and technological means, and the same humorous-thriller style.… (more)
    The Domino Men by Jonathan Barnes (ahstrick)
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (bj)
    Kraken by China Miéville (ahstrick)
    Three Days to Never by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    Bad Magic by Stephan Zielinski (Aerulan)
    The Android's Dream by John Scalzi (espertus)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (infiniteletters)
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Humor and horror visit with a little suspense.
    Kings of Infinite Space: A Novel by James Hynes (ehines)

English (89)  French (1)  All (90)
So, while I fall just short of having an unspeakable-horrors-from-beyond-space-and-time fetish, I have to say that my previous experiences with "hard" sci-fi have left me only semi-flaccid - but notice I said my "previous experiences". You may have also noticed the 5 star rating, and this should be a clue that the Atrocity Archives, which could definitely be labeled hard sci-fi, has me standing at full attention.

Maybe it's the insertion of humor into the story that made it work for me, along with the aforementioned unspeakable horrors? These two elements joined together somehow made the lists of TCIP protocols, mathematical/metaphysical axioms, and descriptions of chemical processes much more sexy than those types of descriptions in a book like Larry Niven's Ringworld, for example. So while I do find that reading hard sci-fi almost always leaves me in awe of the mental capacity of the author, I find myself much more inclined to snuggle up with Mr. Stross than Mr. Niven for a bedtime story - and it has nothing to do with the fact that Mr. Stross is much younger, and presumably more virile, than Mr. Niven.

In short, if the idea of using mathematical formulas to summon demons or using occult blood rituals to provide internet security gives you a nerd chub, you NEED to read this book. ( )
  ragwaine | Jun 3, 2017 |
If you toss Neal Stephenson, H.P. Lovecraft, and Len Deighton in a pop-culture blender and hit frappe, The Atrocity Archives is the smooth and tasty result. It’s fast-paced and very, very funny. You like spy stories? It’s in there. Hacker nerds with a nose for trouble? In there. Tentacled nasties? Evil Nazi’s? It’s all in there, baby, and it’s all done right. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
This is fun geeky fluff. It has the same old "geeky guy does geeky stuff and wins the gorgeous girl" plot that can get a bit tedious, but there are some good jokes along the way and all in all it's a fun read. I'll definitely read more of this series. ( )
  Gwendydd | Oct 6, 2016 |
I think if you are exactly the right audience (and I am), you'll find this stuff hilarious in the way that people who were teenagers or in their 20's in the 80's find Ready Player One hilarious. And if you're not, you'll be rather mystified if not a little miffed by the fact you know there's a ton of jokes you're missing, exactly the way my kids feel about Ready Player One. So four stars from me, but this is definitely a love it or hate it experience, so check the sample first.
Full review @Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
I really enjoy the world Stross has built in this series -- a mix of high tech and dark magic. The first story starts out slow, with a bit too much focus on our snarky protagonist's miserable office life, but once it gets going it's a lot of fun. There are competent women characters; I hope they turn up again in later books. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  lavaturtle | May 1, 2016 |

MacLeod, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montiglio, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my Parents,
David and Cecilie Stross
Green sky at night; hacker's delight.

Charles Stross takes a departure from his epic science fiction to craft this cross between Len Deighton—style espionage and H.P. Lovecraftian horror.

Bob Howard is a computer-hacker desk jockey, who has more than enough trouble keeping up with the endless paperwork he has to do on a daily basis. He should never be called on to do anything remotely heroic.

But somehow, he is...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:08 -0400)

Computer science guru Alan Turning paves the way for esoteric mathematical computations that Nazi Germany uses to perform a summoning, bringing an unexpected evil to Earth through a portal to an alternate universe.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,310,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible