The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

The Atrocity Archives (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Charles Stross

Info:Ace (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Audiobooks
Rating:***
Tags:audiobook, sci-fi, 12 in 12

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (2004)

Declare by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Apocalypse Door by James D. Macdonald (lorax)
    lorax: Okay, so the cosmology of the evil creatures from another world is Catholic rather than Lovecraftian, so you have demons instead of Cthulhu, but it's the same schtick of a secret group protecting civilization from unknown horrors via both supernatural and technological means, and the same humorous-thriller style.… (more)
    The Domino Men by Jonathan Barnes (ahstrick)
    Kraken: An Anatomy by China Miéville (ahstrick)
    Three Days to Never by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    Bad Magic by Stephan Zielinski (Aerulan)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    The Android's Dream by John Scalzi (espertus)
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (bj)
    Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (infiniteletters)
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Humor and horror visit with a little suspense.
    Kings of Infinite Space: A Novel by James Hynes (ehines)

English (63)  French (1)  All languages (64)
I was quite skeptical before beginning this book, as I'd heard a lot about massive amounts of jargon and not much story, but I'm glad to say that the people who said that were wrong.

Charles Stross writes a story that will suck you and not let go. Definitely a recommend! ( )
  amymyoung | Nov 27, 2014 |
I keep trying Stross' work, because I've read other novels of his and I know that there are some elements which interest me, some things which I do keep turning the pages for. I was actually more interested in The Atrocity Archive and "The Concrete Jungle" than I have been in most of his other books, which is a start, but I'm afraid a lot of it went over my head (not geeky enough) and some of it went under (fart jokes).

All in all, the alternate history conjured up here is interesting, though I can't really talk about the mathematics, geometry, etc, because I can't write down my own phone number without transposing a digit or two. That somewhat hobbles the story, because I think there's humour and worldbuilding there that I just. don't. get. Which is unfortunately how Stross has made me feel before.

I don't think I'll be reading any more of this series, though I quest on in my attempt to find a Stross book I genuinely enjoy. It seems like he has cool ideas, and it's not like it's his writing style that throws me off -- I just don't feel like enough of a nerd! ( )
  shanaqui | Nov 23, 2014 |
It was a good book - an interesting take of the Government with Secret organization devoted to fighting evil genre. In this case, we get nazis terrorist groups - and horrifying entities from another universe. Also, paperclip audits, office worker shenanigans, and computer nerdery - makes for a good read.

The writing is solid, the characters are interesting (if a bit cardboard) and it has an interesting plot. Pretty much everything I could want in a Sunday afternoon book. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 19, 2014 |
I've picked this to read on the flight to Edinburgh. It was a choice between Charlie Stross and Sir Walter Scott. I guess the Talisman re-read is going to have to wait.
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
I am still on the lookout for something that could represent "a better written and thought-out alternative to the Dresden files" (which I am still reading, anyway).

I have an IT background, I know a bit about Cthulhu Mythos and I in general prefer UK authors. So The Atrocity Archives looked like a an excellent candidate.

What I found out, instead is a book that looks like a poorly planned merge of a novella (the first 4/5 of the book) and a short story. The resulting work is poorly paced and there is no real sense of development (for the main characters of the universe they inhabit).

So far it looks like the original premise was wasted but I will probably read the second book in the series before deciding if it gets any better. ( )
  pamar | Aug 25, 2014 |

MacLeod, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montiglio, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my Parents,
David and Cecilie Stross
Green sky at night; hacker's delight.

Charles Stross takes a departure from his epic science fiction to craft this cross between Len Deighton—style espionage and H.P. Lovecraftian horror.

Bob Howard is a computer-hacker desk jockey, who has more than enough trouble keeping up with the endless paperwork he has to do on a daily basis. He should never be called on to do anything remotely heroic.

But somehow, he is...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:30 -0400)

Computer science guru Alan Turning paves the way for esoteric mathematical computations that Nazi Germany uses to perform a summoning, bringing an unexpected evil to Earth through a portal to an alternate universe.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,322,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible