The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

The Atrocity Archives (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Charles Stross

2,120693,093 (3.93)1 / 98
Title:The Atrocity Archives
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:audiobook, sci-fi, 12 in 12

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (2004)

Declare by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Apocalypse Door by James D. Macdonald (lorax)
    lorax: Okay, so the cosmology of the evil creatures from another world is Catholic rather than Lovecraftian, so you have demons instead of Cthulhu, but it's the same schtick of a secret group protecting civilization from unknown horrors via both supernatural and technological means, and the same humorous-thriller style.… (more)
    The Domino Men by Jonathan Barnes (ahstrick)
    Kraken: An Anatomy by China Miéville (ahstrick)
    Three Days to Never by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    Bad Magic by Stephan Zielinski (Aerulan)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    The Android's Dream by John Scalzi (espertus)
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (bj)
    Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (infiniteletters)
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Humor and horror visit with a little suspense.
    Kings of Infinite Space: A Novel by James Hynes (ehines)

English (68)  French (1)  All languages (69)

The Atrocity Archives consists of two stories connected only by the main character Bob Howard and his weird job. It is more of an introduction to this series than anything else.
And I liked it.
I admit that the mathematical-engineering-scientific stuff mostly went right over my head, but the way Lovecraftian themes are used is enough for me to continue the series. ( )
  Irena. | Sep 24, 2015 |
I've actually attempted to read(listen to) this book a couple of different times, and this time it stuck. Finally. I've heard such great things about this series, and Gideon Emery does a fantastic job of narrating.

This started off really dry -- which it's kind of intended to, given the bureaucratic subject matter at hand. It made the fence to get into it kind of a high jump, but I got there.

I went on to read the next couple in the series, and eventually quit in the middle of book 3 or 4. Good series either way -- and I've passed it on to my husband. :) ( )
  lyrrael | Sep 3, 2015 |
good world building, nice connection to known specialization (IT), good story development, good character development.
I didn't ever get to particularly liking the characters but they were ok.
overall 80% - will probably read more from author ( )
  jason9292 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Pratchett states that if the world contains things that even the dark is afraid of, then you can bet that there'll be a secret government agency covering them up for our own good. Such is the premise behind "The Atrocity Archives." The Laundry is the British organization tasked with keeping their country safe from paranormal phenomenon and extra terrestrial uglies.

The Laundry is a rogue intelligence agency battling to prevent infestations of extradimensional horrors. Bob Howard is our hero, a computer geek working in the IT department who is drafted into field duty. However, while Bob is out saving the world from who knows what horrors, his boss in the IT department is constantly on his case for everything from missing meetings to not filling out his time sheet. This struck me as humorous and all to real when considering a government institution. The Laundry brings to mind the spy world of "Get Smart" as the facility itself is accessed through a toilet stall.

"The Atrocity Archives" is the most unusual spy novel I believe I have ever read, and the Laundry the most unusual organization. Guardians of the dark secrets that threaten to drown us in nightmare, the lips of the Laundry employees are sealed as tight as their archives. To get even the vaguest outline of their activities takes a privileged hacker like Bob, nosy enough to worm his way in where he isn't supposed to and smart enough to explain his way out of trouble.

Bob Howard is about as far away from the James Bond stereotype as he can get. He is, at heart, a geek. He is not suave, debonair, or particularly charismatic. He is not a ladies man, and in fact is trying to get rid of his psycho ex-girlfriend. But Bob does have his strengths, most notably his intellect, and is able to handle himself ably enough in the field. If the ultimate grade of a spy is results, then Bob Howard represents his craft well. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 6, 2015 |
The storyline was interesting however I found there was too much technobabble for me to enjoy it fully. The book is amusing and has some really good moments. ( )
  nebula21 | Jan 27, 2015 |

MacLeod, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montiglio, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my Parents,
David and Cecilie Stross
Green sky at night; hacker's delight.

Charles Stross takes a departure from his epic science fiction to craft this cross between Len Deighton—style espionage and H.P. Lovecraftian horror.

Bob Howard is a computer-hacker desk jockey, who has more than enough trouble keeping up with the endless paperwork he has to do on a daily basis. He should never be called on to do anything remotely heroic.

But somehow, he is...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:08 -0400)

Computer science guru Alan Turning paves the way for esoteric mathematical computations that Nazi Germany uses to perform a summoning, bringing an unexpected evil to Earth through a portal to an alternate universe.

25 wanted4 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,760,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible