SantaThing sign up ends in 7:38 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

The Atrocity Archives (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Charles Stross

Info:Ace (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Audiobooks
Rating:***
Tags:audiobook, sci-fi, 12 in 12

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (2004)

Declare by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Apocalypse Door by James D. Macdonald (lorax)
    lorax: Okay, so the cosmology of the evil creatures from another world is Catholic rather than Lovecraftian, so you have demons instead of Cthulhu, but it's the same schtick of a secret group protecting civilization from unknown horrors via both supernatural and technological means, and the same humorous-thriller style.… (more)
    The Domino Men by Jonathan Barnes (ahstrick)
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (bj)
    Kraken: An Anatomy by China Miéville (ahstrick)
    Three Days to Never by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    Bad Magic by Stephan Zielinski (Aerulan)
    The Android's Dream by John Scalzi (espertus)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (infiniteletters)
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Humor and horror visit with a little suspense.
    Kings of Infinite Space: A Novel by James Hynes (ehines)

English (91)  French (1)  English (92)
If you toss Neal Stephenson, H.P. Lovecraft, and Len Deighton in a pop-culture blender and hit frappe, The Atrocity Archives is the smooth and tasty result. It’s fast-paced and very, very funny. You like spy stories? It’s in there. Hacker nerds with a nose for trouble? In there. Tentacled nasties? Evil Nazi’s? It’s all in there, baby, and it’s all done right. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |

The Atrocity Archives consists of two stories connected only by the main character Bob Howard and his weird job. It is more of an introduction to this series than anything else.
And I liked it.
I admit that the mathematical-engineering-scientific stuff mostly went right over my head, but the way Lovecraftian themes are used is enough for me to continue the series. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

And I liked it.
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
This is fun geeky fluff. It has the same old "geeky guy does geeky stuff and wins the gorgeous girl" plot that can get a bit tedious, but there are some good jokes along the way and all in all it's a fun read. I'll definitely read more of this series. ( )
  Gwendydd | Oct 6, 2016 |
I think if you are exactly the right audience (and I am), you'll find this stuff hilarious in the way that people who were teenagers or in their 20's in the 80's find Ready Player One hilarious. And if you're not, you'll be rather mystified if not a little miffed by the fact you know there's a ton of jokes you're missing, exactly the way my kids feel about Ready Player One. So four stars from me, but this is definitely a love it or hate it experience, so check the sample first.
Full review @Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |

MacLeod, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montiglio, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my Parents,
David and Cecilie Stross
Green sky at night; hacker's delight.

Charles Stross takes a departure from his epic science fiction to craft this cross between Len Deighton—style espionage and H.P. Lovecraftian horror.

Bob Howard is a computer-hacker desk jockey, who has more than enough trouble keeping up with the endless paperwork he has to do on a daily basis. He should never be called on to do anything remotely heroic.

But somehow, he is...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:08 -0400)

Computer science guru Alan Turning paves the way for esoteric mathematical computations that Nazi Germany uses to perform a summoning, bringing an unexpected evil to Earth through a portal to an alternate universe.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,643,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible