The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

The Atrocity Archives (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Charles Stross

Info:Ace (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Audiobooks
Rating:***
Tags:audiobook, sci-fi, 12 in 12

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (2004)

alternate history (12) bureaucracy (22) computers (14) cthulhu (55) Cthulhu Mythos (19) ebook (23) espionage (48) fantasy (75) fiction (177) horror (162) humor (40) Kindle (23) laundry (23) Lovecraft (28) Lovecraftian (18) magic (24) mathematics (17) novel (24) occult (15) read (45) science fiction (333) series (11) sf (114) sff (25) spy (36) The Laundry (27) thriller (19) to-read (43) unread (16) urban fantasy (22)
    Declare by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Domino Men by Jonathan Barnes (ahstrick)
    The Apocalypse Door by James D. Macdonald (lorax)
    lorax: Okay, so the cosmology of the evil creatures from another world is Catholic rather than Lovecraftian, so you have demons instead of Cthulhu, but it's the same schtick of a secret group protecting civilization from unknown horrors via both supernatural and technological means, and the same humorous-thriller style.… (more)
    Kraken: An Anatomy by China Miéville (ahstrick)
    Three Days to Never by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    Bad Magic by Stephan Zielinski (Aerulan)
    The Android's Dream by John Scalzi (espertus)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (bj)
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Humor and horror visit with a little suspense.
    Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (infiniteletters)
    Kings of Infinite Space: A Novel by James Hynes (ehines)

English (58)  French (1)  All languages (59)
Second read. Series is great. Funny. One part IT geek, one part bureaucracy, one part spy and one part HP Lovecraft. ( )
  mbmeadow | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book is actually two related novellas about a British civil servant/operative who works at a secret government agency doing their best to keep Nameless Horrors from overrunning the earth. A good combination of comedy, horror, and spy thriller. I think Stross and Tim Powers are the best new author discoveries of the year - I've read a few books by both so far this year, and they haven't disappointed. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 6, 2014 |
I wanted to really like this series, but in the end I just feel terribly meh about it. Maybe it's the voice - Bob sounds like every entitled male geek I've ever talked to and didn't want to spend any more time with. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Sep 30, 2013 |
Definitely a first novel. Full of awesome ideas and loads of humorous snark, but weighed down by thin secondary characters who act as infodumps, and techno-geek minutia that only readers already employed by the Laundry might care about. And they're sworn to secrecy.

Luckily, I already know Stross gets better since I've read the third book in the series already. (Put numbers on these book covers, people!) The Fuller Memorandum is a much more complete book and Stross manages to tone down the IT/CS babble. There's still infodumps galore, but they're interesting, snarky infodumps that actually flavor the story and move the plot along, rather than obscuring it. Also his characters are much more fleshed out. Mo & Angleton especially. ( )
  dgmillo | Jun 2, 2013 |
Jumpin' Jehosophat, did I just have an encounter with [a:Tim Powers|8835|Tim Powers|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1190307815p2/8835.jpg] and [b:The Anubis Gates|142296|The Anubis Gates|Tim Powers|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309282613s/142296.jpg|2193115]? Is [b:The Atrocity Archives|101869|The Atrocity Archives (The Laundry, #1)|Charles Stross|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1309288225s/101869.jpg|322252] not a reincarnation of that 80's70's cult book? But I could just swear that is what I just read on finishing this, [a:Charles Stross|8794|Charles Stross|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1218218373p2/8794.jpg]'s maiden offering in this series. The similarity in style and sheer wackiness are striking. Stross is decidedly more technological. But the stream-of-consciousness flow of thoughts and references is deja vu inducing. The volume also includes the much more coherent "The Concrete Jungle" which won the Hugo Award for best novella in 2005. This novella is a saving grace and is sufficient incentive to read the first part of the book. (The volume includes two stories linked by a common character and environment.) The angry undercurrent that shows up in Stross' later books is not here yet, though his apparent disdain for anything bureaucratic, governmental and procedural is evident. So this is the sapling that [b:Halting State|222472|Halting State|Charles Stross|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1232769480s/222472.jpg|930563] and [b:Rule 34|8853299|Rule 34|Charles Stross|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1306168574s/8853299.jpg|13728393] grew from. I am now wondering if I had encountered this book first, would I have read any of the latter books by Stross? Perhaps, but with some pause. I have a feeling that this is one of those books that I will dislike now, but will retain fond memories of years later. So I will give it a rating that is the average of my present impression and future recollection. That way, I won't have to revise my rating! (Can't beat that logic!) ( )
  ricaustria | Apr 5, 2013 |

MacLeod, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montiglio, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my Parents,
David and Cecilie Stross
Green sky at night; hacker's delight.

Charles Stross takes a departure from his epic science fiction to craft this cross between Len Deighton—style espionage and H.P. Lovecraftian horror.

Bob Howard is a computer-hacker desk jockey, who has more than enough trouble keeping up with the endless paperwork he has to do on a daily basis. He should never be called on to do anything remotely heroic.

But somehow, he is...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:30 -0400)

Computer science guru Alan Turning paves the way for esoteric mathematical computations that Nazi Germany uses to perform a summoning, bringing an unexpected evil to Earth through a portal to an alternate universe.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible