The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

The Atrocity Archives (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Charles Stross

2,295902,771 (3.92)1 / 102
Title:The Atrocity Archives
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:audiobook, sci-fi, 12 in 12

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross (2004)

Recently added byprivate library, dcunning11235, Kaethe, SilkeMaria, Feuerus, JessLibrarian, kirjatest, suze8065
    Declare by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    The Apocalypse Door by James D. Macdonald (lorax)
    lorax: Okay, so the cosmology of the evil creatures from another world is Catholic rather than Lovecraftian, so you have demons instead of Cthulhu, but it's the same schtick of a secret group protecting civilization from unknown horrors via both supernatural and technological means, and the same humorous-thriller style.… (more)
    The Domino Men by Jonathan Barnes (ahstrick)
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (bj)
    Kraken: An Anatomy by China Miéville (ahstrick)
    Three Days to Never by Tim Powers (grizzly.anderson)
    Bad Magic by Stephan Zielinski (Aerulan)
    The Android's Dream by John Scalzi (espertus)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (crimeminister)
    Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (infiniteletters)
    Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Humor and horror visit with a little suspense.
    Kings of Infinite Space: A Novel by James Hynes (ehines)

English (89)  French (1)  All languages (90)
This is fun geeky fluff. It has the same old "geeky guy does geeky stuff and wins the gorgeous girl" plot that can get a bit tedious, but there are some good jokes along the way and all in all it's a fun read. I'll definitely read more of this series. ( )
  Gwendydd | Oct 6, 2016 |
I think if you are exactly the right audience (and I am), you'll find this stuff hilarious in the way that people who were teenagers or in their 20's in the 80's find Ready Player One hilarious. And if you're not, you'll be rather mystified if not a little miffed by the fact you know there's a ton of jokes you're missing, exactly the way my kids feel about Ready Player One. So four stars from me, but this is definitely a love it or hate it experience, so check the sample first.
Full review @Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |

The Atrocity Archives consists of two stories connected only by the main character Bob Howard and his weird job. It is more of an introduction to this series than anything else.
And I liked it.
I admit that the mathematical-engineering-scientific stuff mostly went right over my head, but the way Lovecraftian themes are used is enough for me to continue the series. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
I really enjoy the world Stross has built in this series -- a mix of high tech and dark magic. The first story starts out slow, with a bit too much focus on our snarky protagonist's miserable office life, but once it gets going it's a lot of fun. There are competent women characters; I hope they turn up again in later books. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  lavaturtle | May 1, 2016 |
Bob got a little too inventive and clever for his own good, and was forced to join the Laundry Files, a secret government organization pledged to defending the universe against eldritch horrors and alien incursions. I really like the concepts of this series, but the writing of this particular book drove me up the wall. Bob is one of those incredibly annoying pedants who pride themselves on being the sysadmin from hell. The female characters all need Bob to explain stuff to them, or they're shrews who worship bureaucracy. Everyone talks in a long-winded, circumlocutory style full of nerd references that is clearly supposed to be clever but mostly just dampens the narrative tension. Even worse is the fact that the info dumps NEVER END. Every single page there's another paragraph of science and sf in an unholy mixture plopped smack dab in the middle of a conversation or action bit. Frankly, the never-ending interjections drove me near to insanity.

"There's a weird smell in the kitchen and something that's, er, squamous and rugose"--a household catch-phrase, and we all have to make the obligatory Cthulhu-waggling-tentacles-on-chin gesture with our hands--"and yellow tried to eat my shoe. What's up?"
Brains stands up: "Behold"--he hiccups--"I am in the process of disproving a law of nature; to wit, that it is impossible to make an omelette without breaking eggs! I have a punning clan--"

If you're the type to enjoy writing that sounds like this on every page, even when fighting Nazi-summoned demons, then this might be the book for you. For the rest of us, it might be best to just stay away. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

MacLeod, KenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montiglio, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my Parents,
David and Cecilie Stross
Green sky at night; hacker's delight.

Charles Stross takes a departure from his epic science fiction to craft this cross between Len Deighton—style espionage and H.P. Lovecraftian horror.

Bob Howard is a computer-hacker desk jockey, who has more than enough trouble keeping up with the endless paperwork he has to do on a daily basis. He should never be called on to do anything remotely heroic.

But somehow, he is...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:08 -0400)

Computer science guru Alan Turning paves the way for esoteric mathematical computations that Nazi Germany uses to perform a summoning, bringing an unexpected evil to Earth through a portal to an alternate universe.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,691,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible