Amelia And Eleanor Go For A Ride by Pam…

Amelia And Eleanor Go For A Ride (edition 1999)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

Member:jourdan922
Title:Amelia And Eleanor Go For A Ride
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1999), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:history, women, night, flying, planes, amelia earhart, eleanor roosevelt, washington d.c

Amelia And Eleanor Go For A Ride by Pam Muñoz Ryan

Eleanor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart were great friends. During an important White House dinner, they decide to sneak away and go for a ride in an airplane with Amelia as the pilot! At that time, it was unheard of for a woman to be a pilot so when they landed they were bombarded by questions from the press. Not having enough adventure for one night, they then decide to go for a joy ride in Eleanor's new car. The book then goes on to explain how this is based on a true story, and the author includes a real picture of Eleanor and Amelia. The author also includes information about Eleanor Roosevelt's strides for women's rights and gender equality, and mentions the disappearance of Amelia Earhart.
This book is of course a great choice to read to young girls to encourage them to follow their dreams and show them that they can accomplish whatever they put their minds to. I also think young male students would have the opportunity to take away something important from this book as well. It breaks those gender stereotypes that are still around today, and shows them that girls can do and enjoy the same activities that they do. ( )
  T.Spears | Aug 31, 2017 |
This book celebrates Amelias and Eleanors achievements. ( )
  Paige.2010 | May 4, 2017 |
Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride" by Pam Munoz Ryan is a exciting story about the famous first lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, and the first female pilot to fly across the Atlantic, Amelia Earhart. The story is about the two enjoying a dinner party at the White House when they decided to take a quick flight to Baltimore and back, to enjoy the beautiful city and the night sky. The two pushed boundaries of what people thought women should do in the nineteen thirties.

This book is awesome. I love the girl empowerment expressed subtly in the pages. This story of two women being one of the first to fly at night is encouraging to young girls. When they read about these women, I hope they believe that they can do anything a boy can do. I hope this book will break down boundaries people may have set up for young girls. The illustrations are also beautiful works of art. They are simple pencil sketches, but full of detail.

I would read this book for any occasion for my students. I would have a conversation about what they dream of doing. Depending how old my class was, I would help them talk about practical steps to achieve their goals. Or, I would have then write about something they want to accomplish or adventure they want to do. ( )
  ambybeth | Mar 26, 2017 |
I would use this book as a read aloud for second and third grade because I believe it would be a great book to introduce students to famous historical women. I would read this book during Women's History Month to reinforce the important women who have shaped history. After I have read this story, I will introduce the students to the multiple achievements of these women. With the information I will add on to the story, the students will create a poster that will list the top five achievements made by both of these women and the students will present their lists to the class and explain why they believe these were the most important. I would also use this book as a read aloud for a fourth grade class and have the students create a large time line that explains how planes were created and how much they have evolved over time. I could also use this book as a connection to a science lesson for fifth grade where I would explain the reasons planes are able to fly and then have the students design their own version of a plane. ( )
  Jbrochu | Mar 14, 2017 |
There are many reasons why I liked this book. First, this book was about real life characters. Therefore, it was well-developed. The way the author wrote about this event with both Eleanor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart made the story believable. Her use of language was descriptive and clear. She explained how both characters got prepared for the dinner and how each one was excited. The illustrations were also big and took up the whole page. This then added to the clarity of the text because we can see the actions as we are reading about them. For example, as Amelia and Eleanor are up in the plane flying over DC there is a clear visual of the way it would look at night, like a real photographed picture. The big idea that I received from this book was that even woman can be adventurous and do things they love that aren’t stereotypically a woman thing to do. ( )
  aromer7 | Mar 13, 2017 |

Pam Muñoz Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Selznick, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 059096075X, Hardcover)

On a clear April evening in 1933, two outspoken and strong-minded friends slipped away from a formal dinner party to have a little unconventional fun. What made this event remarkable was that the two were Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt, dining at the White House; their entertainment of choice was to fly an airplane on a loop from Washington D.C. to Baltimore. Pooh-poohing Secret Service agents' concerns that this activity hadn't been "approved," the celebrated aviator and the First Lady stole away before dessert was served, and took to the sky.

Inspired by the true facts of this little-known event, based on diaries, book transcripts, and newspaper accounts, Pam Munoz Ryan brings the thrilling evening to life as if she had been on that plane herself. Emphasizing the mettle and independent spirits of the two women, Ryan presents a pair of pioneering social and political activists any woman--or man--even today would be proud to claim as role models. An author's note gives some intriguing background information on these two exceptional women. Award-winning illustrator Brian Selznick lived in Washington D.C. while researching the graphite and colored pencil drawings for this book, which include authentic wallpaper and china patterns. (Ages 6 to 10) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

A fictionalized account of the night Amelia Earhart flew Eleanor Roosevelt over Washington, D.C. in an airplane.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,573,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible