Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

George Washington, Spymaster: How the…

George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and… (2004)

by Thomas B. Allen

Other authors: Cheryl Harness (Illustrator)

A Dangerous Engine: Benjamin Franklin, from Scientist to Diplomat by Joan Dash (oapostrophe)
    oapostrophe: For a slightly older reader, covers more of Franklin's role in the Revolution.

Great spy information used during the Revolutionary War. Major George Beckwith, head of British Intelligence in America noted: "Washington did not really outfight the British, he simply outspied us!"
Which is a great compliment considering they couldn't understand how the ragtag farmers were able to fight the battle for so long. So not only did they hold their own in battle, they were outwitted.
George Washington wrote in 1776 "There is one evile I dread, and that is, their spies."
Spy codes included in the book as well as names of known spies and included multiple stories to particular events. I like that the author included all of the "myths" or known stories instead of just one and stating it as fact as so many authors tend to do. I would recommend this book for older elementary age. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
Battle of the Books 2013. I don't feel most middle schoolers will enjoy this book unless they are really into history. It was enlightning for me about George Washington being so much more than our first president and his dental issues. He was a master spy and that according to this account is what won the war;the spy ane espionage aspect. After I read the book, I happened to be at The Henry Ford Museum and got to see some of the artifacts mentioned in the book. That was a WOW moment for me.
In the beginning, tried to keep the characters straight in my mind but without a huge background in history I had to abandon that and just enjoy the story. I did learn a lot I never knew about Benedict Arnold and other individuals I learned in school but were just names.
This is a good way to gain knowledge in a fun way. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
(8.6)
  mrsforrest | Oct 15, 2014 |
This young adult book published by National Geographic was an interesting read. The book was printed in the style of documents of the 1700’s using a similar font on ivory colored paper and engravings as illustrations. The book tells the lesser know story of how the spy networks that were in use during the Revolutionary War were responsible for America winning the war. Many of the stories in this book I did not know and I recommend it to anyone (young and old) have are interested in American History. ( )
  Chris177 | Sep 13, 2011 |
Who doesn’t love an intriguing spy story—especially one that is true? George Washington stars as the United State’s first Spymaster during the Revolutionary War. His skills, and those of his brave agents, are put to the test by the experienced British. Allen masterfully weaves together historical accounts from diaries, letters, and family histories. Events are scrupulously researched and presented in a compelling and even entertaining way. The type font, illustrations, chapter headings, and other details take the reader to the throes of the late 18th century. Fascinating Appendix and Text Notes are an added bonus. Index and bibliographic references also included. ( )
  iheartlit | Jan 25, 2011 |

Allen, Thomas B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harness, CherylIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, BeaBook and cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, DouglasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Norman Polmar,
a great friend and great companion in our search of spy stories
On an October day in 1753, Robert Dinwiddie, Royal Governor of His Majesty's Colony of Virginia, sat in his office in Williamsburg, the capital of Virginia, reading the latest reports from the frontier.

Contents:

Birth of a spymaster -- Spy against spy -- A spy must die -- George Washington, Agent 711 -- Tools of the spymaster -- Franklin's French friends --Spymaster at work -- The General is a spy -- Victory in the spy war.

A biography of Revolutionary War general and first President of the United States, George Washington, focusing on his use of spies to gather intelligence that helped the colonies win the war.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible