Dream Snow by Eric Carle

Dream Snow (edition 2000)

by Eric Carle

Collections:Your library, Jasper's Books
Tags:Christmas

Dream Snow by Eric Carle

Dream Snow - Eric Carle

Published in 2000, this book came out just in time for my then 5 year-old son to enjoy it. He still asks where this book is at Christmas time. Dream Snow is a simple story about a farmer who greatly resembles both Santa Claus and Eric Carle himself. The simple repetitive text reinforces early counting skills while the plastic snow overlays create a captivating guessing game before revealing which animal is concealed behind the dream snow. The final gimmick of the book is a button to push to make a magical Christmas chime. In my opinion the art work in this book rivals anything else Carle has done, including the hungry caterpillar.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I liked Dream Snow by Eric Carle for three reasons. First, I liked the writing style. The writing style of this story was engaging and unique. It followed a pattern where the dialogue was written in a different font and style than the storyline describing the snow covering the animals. For example, “The farmer felt very cozy and a bit tired. “Heavens!” he said, yawning. ‘It’s almost Christmas and it hasn’t snowed yet.” With that he fell asleep. / Soon he dreamed of falling snowflakes. They gently covered him with a white blanket.” The differing fonts and styles between the two texts made for an engaging and unique read as it emphasized the snowfall that covered each animal. Second, I liked the illustrations. Each illustration was interactive and creative with vibrant colors and details. For example, “The snowflakes gently covered One with a white blanket.” The illustration following this text was made with watercolor adding an aesthetic appeal to the overall illustration itself. The illustration included a lot of vibrant colors and shading as well as detail to emphasize the horse’s structure. Not only that, but the author included a white blanket sheet before the illustration that when put down covered the horse with a ‘white snow blanket’ like described in the text. Lastly, I liked the plot. I thought the plot of this story was perfect for young readers and for the Christmas season. For example, “The farmer woke up from his dream, looked out of his window and saw snow. It was not dream snow. It was real snow.” The farmer had wished for snow before falling asleep and while dreaming that when he woke up, there was actual snow. I think in conjunction with the writing style and language used that this story would be perfect for young readers especially around the Christmas season. I think the big idea of the story is to never give up, even when you least expect something to happen. ( )
  sgoshe2 | Apr 4, 2016 |
Reading at home with Mommy and at School with Ms. Amanda ( )
  Bradley08 | Feb 7, 2016 |
Reading at home with Mommy and at School with Ms. Amanda ( )
  Bradley08 | Feb 7, 2016 |
I picked this book because I like Eric Carle books. For this book I would have students just write to me what they thought of the book. Whether they liked it or didn't and why; I would have them reflect on it. ( )
  ksd011 | Jan 30, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399235795, Hardcover)

It's almost Christmas and it hasn't snowed yet. As the farmer naps on his small farm, he dreams of being covered in a gentle blanket of new snow. Then, one by one, he dreams of each of his five animals (aptly named One, Two, Three, Four, and Five) being covered as well. When he awakens, he discovers that real snow--not dream snow--has fallen. And "Oh my! Oh my! I almost forgot," the farmer shouts, and, bundling up, hurries out to his tree (named Tree) with a box and a sack, looking remarkably familiar in his white beard and red suit. After decorating Tree, the farmer shouts "Merry Christmas to all!" and pushes a button for a surprise Yuletide jingle.

Young fans of Eric Carle's The Very Quiet Cricket, The Very Clumsy Click Beetle, and other multisensory books, will delight in pushing the same microchip button the farmer pushes to hear the tinkling, oddly eerie holiday tune. In an even more unusual departure from standard picture books, Carle inserts a clear plastic sheet, covered with snowflakes and a white blanket, before each illustration of the dreaming farmer and his animals. Turn the plastic page to discover what kind of critter lies beneath the snow. Carle's magnificent collages, as always, are the heart and soul of his books. (Ages 3 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

In this musical and sound effects book, a farmer celebrates Christmas after the first snowfall.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,223,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible