Differentiating Instruction With Menus:…

Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Chemistry (edition 2019)

by Laurie Westphal (Author)

1191,211,834NoneNone
Member:KBrier
Title:Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Chemistry
Authors:Laurie Westphal (Author)
Info:Prufrock Press (2019), 150 pages
Rating:*****

Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Chemistry by Laurie Westphal

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was just plain thrilled the receive this book. Westphal's got a solid series on using menus, but most of the others I've seen so far have been too broad for what I teach: this one's directly useful, and I will be applying several of her menu activities (with modification) in my classroom this year. As with many activities of this sort, they end up taking more time than I really have given the content I have to cover, but I can use the structures she's provided to be able to swap out some bits for activities that are more closely aligned with what I need to teach, and in the worst case, I have some potential sub plans out of the book too. Bravo! ( )
  jwpell | Jul 22, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Before I started reading this book, I was not aware of the use of menus and menu-style learning in the classroom. I was even able to pick up some ideas to use at home with the kids :). Laurie Westphal does an excellent job with the layout of this edition and I appreciated the focus on the intangible benefits from menu-style learning that I would not have thought of. This instruction seems like it would be a great tool for any teacher or student teaching or taking high school chemistry. I know I would have liked to see a similar type of teaching when I was a student. A great resource, well done!

Thank you to LibraryThing and Prufrock Press for the advance copy.
  mookie86 | Jul 19, 2019 |
Once again Westphal has written a work that serves educators well. This one serves Science educators for gifted learners. The first section describes the use of students choice and how to use these in the classroom. The author provides the guidelines for the products produced by the students and gives the Rubics for each chapter.

It is laid out as complete lesson plans in Chemistry in the second part with each chapter covering topics such as Process Skills, Atomic Theory, Matter, Bonding, Solutions, and Chemical Reactions.

This work also provides the ideas so that educators can adopt the various menus for other Chemistry problems.

This work is based on the students idea of free choice in the direction that they want to go with their work in the classroom. For all problems a complete solution is given so the educator can easily grade the students work.

A great alternative to your everyday lesson plans for your gifted learner and also could be used in the regular classroom as well. The work uses different levels of Bloom's taxonomy and incorporates different learning styles to aid the student.

Another great offering from Prufrock Press that deserves to be considered for placement in the educator reference section of a high school media center. It is also priced right at $24.95 to help aid your budget as well. ( )
  Lewie | Jul 18, 2019 |
What an amazing resource for beginning with menus in differentiation! The included suggestions and example resources are very useful for beginning with student choices in lessons. ( )
  keri.hebert | Jul 14, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have never heard of using menus in a classroom before but after reading this book, I will definitely be trying it out in our home school! The first part of this book explains what menus are and how to use them effectively. The second part is broken down into chemistry topics to cover with reproducible pages of menu choices for that topic.

I love the idea of using menus because it enables the students to take a bit more ownership of their learning and presents options that can appeal to most types of learning styles.

I received a free copy of this book. ( )
  KBrier | Jul 11, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laurie Westphal's book Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Chemistry (Grades 9-12) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Laurie Westphal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,470,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible