All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy…

All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome (edition 2006)

by Kathy Hoopmann

Member:benuathanasia
Title:All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome
Authors:Kathy Hoopmann
Info:Jessica Kingsley Pub (2006), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 72 pages
Tags:psychology, comedy, animals, cats, fiction, nonfiction, children's fiction, picture book

All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Kathy Hoopmann

All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome – Kathy Hoopman
4 stars
Our speech pathologist left this book on a table in the staff room in honor of Speech and Hearing Month. It is a picture book full of adorable photographs of cats and kittens. The text uses the behavior of cats to explain some of the distinctive behaviors of children with Asperger Syndrome. My favorite one is a picture of a cat dangling its paws under a faucet of running water. The caption,
“See if you do it this way you don’t get hair balls,” is meant to illustrate the Asperger child’s tendency to think outside the box. The book delivers a strong message of support and acceptance of individual differences. I think it would be a great book for parents and siblings of an Asperger effected child. My only reservation is that it might be seen to trivialize a significant disability.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
A clever way of making Asperger's syndrome understandable and accessible for children by comparing it to the familiar behavior of cats. Even I got a better perspective on what it is about! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I chose this book primarily because it had to do with cats and cats are one of my favorite things on this planet. I am so very glad I chose it because I loved it! I had never once thought of comparing people with aspergers to cats but I realized from this book that they are very much alike! I think both children and adults will love the funny cat pictures and interesting comparisons. It definitely gave me a new outlook on asperger syndrome. ( )
  kesteves | Oct 22, 2015 |
I did not expect to really like this book, but I did. I didn't like the concept of taking a disability and comparing it to felines, but in reading this book, I see how it is used to make some sense for something that could potentially be very confusing for some. This book finds connections between general things tat cats do that can be used as an example of some traits of a person with Asperger's Syndrome. The pictures in this book are perfectly placed and are really inviting. The cats are pretty and create a really down to earth example for behavioral inappropriateness. The big picture of this book is to provide a brief explanation of how Asperger's Syndrome comes across, but in comparing it to cats, it makes a little more sense. It is not meant to be a complicated, in-depth explanation, but rather a beginner's guide. ( )
  ajfurman | Dec 3, 2014 |
This book takes a playful look at Asperger syndrome (AS), drawing inspiration from the feline world in a way that will strike a chord with all those who are familiar with AS. Delightful colour photographs of cats bring to life familiar characteristics such as sensitive hearing, scampering at the first sign of being stroked, and particular eating habits. Touching, humorous and insightful, this book evokes the difficulties and joys of raising a child who is different and leaves the reader with a sense of the dignity, individuality, and potential of people with AS. This engaging book is an ideal, gentle introduction to the world of AS.
1 vote ThePinesLibrary | Mar 31, 2014 |

All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome takes a playful look at Asperger Syndrome (AS), drawing inspiration from the feline world in a way that will strike a chord with all those who are familiar with AS.
This engaging book is an ideal, gentle introduction to the world of AS.

Pictures of cats in usual and unusual positions help illustrate how the behaviors of people with Asperger's syndrome are similar to those of cats.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,363,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible