Busman's Honeymoon: A Lord Peter Wimsey…

Busman's Honeymoon: A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery with Harriet Vane (original 1937; edition 1995)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Member:jarmstrong
Title:Busman's Honeymoon: A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery with Harriet Vane
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:HarperTorch (1995), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:to read

Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers (1937)

English (62)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All (64)
Good, though quite a lot of French. I don't mind the mystery being secondary, (my mind can't keep up with the who done what and whens, anyway) having come in primarily for the Lord Peter and Harriet shipping. This book is a love letter to fans of the pairing.

Very witty, so many quotables. Read on a device but if I had the paperback it would be sopping with highlighter fluid. Glad to have the softcopy though, made looking up translations easier. Although, I think I still don't really get 'no shabby tigers'. This caliber of writing makes me feel so simple-minded. It's fascinating to watch the cleverness though, even if I don't always get it, but am happy to be a mere spectator around these amazing people. I imagine if they spoke to me I'd be dumbstruck anyway.

Obviously very character-driven. I would follow this trio (Peter, Harriet, Bunter) without a plot.

I do get the theatrical sense from this, the way it is written. When they were re-enacting the possible ways the murder could have been committed, I saw it in my mind as I would a scene on television. That Bunter exploded about the port- very dramatic. I've seen a few clips of the Petherbridge series, so many times I would be reading and "watching" things happen.

The ending, not happy, but so very human. Peter not the devil-may-care, untouchable hero, but a man, still haunted by some PTSD, who feels very keenly the consequences of his actions. I am thankful that Harriet is his corner, and he now has somewhere to hide.

(end of thoughts on book. can skip what follows, just disjointed notes to self on my own marriage)

As a newlywed myself, nodded along at many of the insights on the dynamics of marriage. The Dowager Duchess gives good advice. I should try to make an ally of my own MIL as well, as much as can be done with the cultural/language gap. There are very good points on love with honour. I don't know how that can be done in my own case. I'd already set my mind to Obey. It was a struggle at first, coming to terms with loss of self and independence. This book makes me think it need not be that way. But am not a Harriet. Have a rather weak character. What is the harm in diluting it a bit further. And DH seems to look forward to the traditional Confucian relationship, and he has been so patient with me for the five years, he deserves as much. Being "wifely and solicitous" might be the best thing to do. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Lord Peter and Harriet Vane finally tie the knot and head off for a private honeymoon in an English country house that has caught Harriet's eye. However, the discovery of the body of the house's former owner in the cellar means it will be a working holiday for the newly wed sleuths. Not only is the mystery engrossing, but Sayers explores the nature of egalitarian marriage and the power of money in marriage. Excellent. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
The last of the finished Lord Peter Wimsey books. I am saving it for when I am ancient and will get the references without needing a hypertext cheat sheet.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Sayers most romantic Lord Peter mystery. Our favority detective interrupts his own honeymoon to solve the puzzle. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Some readers find this a bit too much romantic wish fulfillment with Wimsey's marriage to Harriet Vane finally achieved, but I like it for its vivid contrast of the Wimsey ménage and the local villagers, though the murder method is more ingenious than creditable, and the villain has much the same motives as I Bellona Club, though in a very different social setting. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 17, 2015 |

Sayers, Dorothy L.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carmichael, IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
George, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juva, KerstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
That will ask some tears in the true performing of it: if I do it, let the audience look to their eyes; I will move storms, I will condole in some measure. . . . I could play Ercles rarely, or a part to tear a cat in, to make all split . . . a lover is more condoling.
Shakespeare: A Midsummer-Night's Dream.
TO MURIEL ST. CLARE BYRNE,
HELEN SIMPSON AND
MARJORIE BARBER

Dear Muriel, Helen, and Bar,
With what extreme of womanly patience you listened to the tale of Busman's Honeymoon while it was being written, the Lord He knoweth. I do not like to think how many times I tired the sun with talking--and if at any time they had told me you were dead, I should easily have believed that I had talked you into your graves. But you have strangely survived to receive these thanks.
You, Muriel, were in some sort a predestined victim, since you wrote with me the play to which this novel is but the limbs and outward flourishes; my debt and your long-suffering are all the greater. You, Helen and Bar, were wantonly sacrificed on the altar of that friendship of which the female sex is said to be incapable; let the lie stick i' the wall!
To all three I humbly bring, I dedicate with tears, this sentimental comedy.
It has been said, by myself and others, that a love-interest is only an intrusion upon a detective story. But to the characters involved, the detective-interest might well seem an irritating intrusion upon their love-story. This book deals with such a situation. It also provides some sort of answer to many kindly inquiries as to how Lord Peter and his Harriet solved their matrimonial problem. If there is but a ha'porth of detection to an intolerable deal of saccharine, let the occasion be the excuse.
Yours in all gratitute,
Dorothy L. Sayers
Prothalamion:
MARRIAGES
WIMSEY-VANE.
Chapter I:
Mr. Mervyn Bunter, patiently seated in the Daimler on the far side of Regent's Park, reflected that time was getting on.
... May I express the hope that the present union may happily exemplify that which we find in a first-class port---strength of body fortified by a first-class spirit and mellowing through many years to a noble maturity. [Bunter's wedding toast]
Note: Busman's Honeymoon subtitled A Love Story with Detective Interruptions is a novel by Dorothy L. Sayers. It should not be confused with Busman's Honeymoon subtitled A Detective Comedy in Three Acts, a play, which was penned by Dorothy L. Sayers and M[uriel] St. Clare Byrne.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043516, Mass Market Paperback)

Murder is hardly the best way for Lord Peter and his bride, the famous mystery writer Harriet Vane, to start their honeymoon. It all begins when the former owner of their newly acquired estate is found quite nastily dead in the cellar. All too quickly, what Lord Peter had hoped would be a very private and romantic stay in the country has turned into a most baffling case, with a misspelled "notise" to the milkman at its center and a dead man who's been discovered in a most intriguing condition: with not a spot of blood on his smashed skull and not a penny less than six hundred pounds in his pocket.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

Lord Peter and Harriet are honeymooning in Miss Twitterton's cottage, then Miss Twitterton's uncle is found dead.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,176,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible