Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers

Busman's Honeymoon (original 1937; edition 1987)

by Dorothy L. Sayers

Title:Busman's Honeymoon
Authors:Dorothy L. Sayers
Info:HarperPerennial (1987), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Reviewed

Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers (1937)

Recently added bynsenger, JGL, auntiek, Marynoel, edgewood, SMHGLBH, private library, astrudles, AmyLizMit, HarlotRusse

English (60)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (62)
The last of the finished Lord Peter Wimsey books. I am saving it for when I am ancient and will get the references without needing a hypertext cheat sheet.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Sayers most romantic Lord Peter mystery. Our favority detective interrupts his own honeymoon to solve the puzzle. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Some readers find this a bit too much romantic wish fulfillment with Wimsey's marriage to Harriet Vane finally achieved, but I like it for its vivid contrast of the Wimsey ménage and the local villagers, though the murder method is more ingenious than creditable, and the villain has much the same motives as I Bellona Club, though in a very different social setting. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 17, 2015 |
A pleasant stroll down memory lane, I first read this in 1992-3, whilst just entering high school. Coming back to it again after some years, I am struck by the sustained elegance of the writing and well-rounded characters. Highly recommended.
  ManipledMutineer | Oct 14, 2015 |
The last of the Lord Peter and Harriet novels, this book does have a few issues. The most glaring problem is the motivation of the villain. However, this book has an exquisite romance. And the characters are such a pleasure to visit. ( )
  something_bizarre | Oct 7, 2015 |

Sayers, Dorothy L.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carmichael, IanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
George, ElizabethIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juva, KerstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
That will ask some tears in the true performing of it: if I do it, let the audience look to their eyes; I will move storms, I will condole in some measure. . . . I could play Ercles rarely, or a part to tear a cat in, to make all split . . . a lover is more condoling.
Shakespeare: A Midsummer-Night's Dream.

Dear Muriel, Helen, and Bar,
With what extreme of womanly patience you listened to the tale of Busman's Honeymoon while it was being written, the Lord He knoweth. I do not like to think how many times I tired the sun with talking--and if at any time they had told me you were dead, I should easily have believed that I had talked you into your graves. But you have strangely survived to receive these thanks.
You, Muriel, were in some sort a predestined victim, since you wrote with me the play to which this novel is but the limbs and outward flourishes; my debt and your long-suffering are all the greater. You, Helen and Bar, were wantonly sacrificed on the altar of that friendship of which the female sex is said to be incapable; let the lie stick i' the wall!
To all three I humbly bring, I dedicate with tears, this sentimental comedy.
It has been said, by myself and others, that a love-interest is only an intrusion upon a detective story. But to the characters involved, the detective-interest might well seem an irritating intrusion upon their love-story. This book deals with such a situation. It also provides some sort of answer to many kindly inquiries as to how Lord Peter and his Harriet solved their matrimonial problem. If there is but a ha'porth of detection to an intolerable deal of saccharine, let the occasion be the excuse.
Yours in all gratitute,
Dorothy L. Sayers
Chapter I:
Mr. Mervyn Bunter, patiently seated in the Daimler on the far side of Regent's Park, reflected that time was getting on.
... May I express the hope that the present union may happily exemplify that which we find in a first-class port---strength of body fortified by a first-class spirit and mellowing through many years to a noble maturity. [Bunter's wedding toast]
Note: Busman's Honeymoon subtitled A Love Story with Detective Interruptions is a novel by Dorothy L. Sayers. It should not be confused with Busman's Honeymoon subtitled A Detective Comedy in Three Acts, a play, which was penned by Dorothy L. Sayers and M[uriel] St. Clare Byrne.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061043516, Mass Market Paperback)

Murder is hardly the best way for Lord Peter and his bride, the famous mystery writer Harriet Vane, to start their honeymoon. It all begins when the former owner of their newly acquired estate is found quite nastily dead in the cellar. All too quickly, what Lord Peter had hoped would be a very private and romantic stay in the country has turned into a most baffling case, with a misspelled "notise" to the milkman at its center and a dead man who's been discovered in a most intriguing condition: with not a spot of blood on his smashed skull and not a penny less than six hundred pounds in his pocket.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

Lord Peter and Harriet are honeymooning in Miss Twitterton's cottage, then Miss Twitterton's uncle is found dead.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,824,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible