God Is the Gospel (Paperback Edition):…

God Is the Gospel (Paperback Edition): Meditations on God's Love as… (edition 2011)

by John Piper

Member:EmmeA
Title:God Is the Gospel (Paperback Edition): Meditations on God's Love as the Gift of Himself
Authors:John Piper
Info:Crossway Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 192 pages

God Is the Gospel: Meditations on God's Love as the Gift of Himself by John Piper

John Piper is one of my favorite contemporary authors. Few books have impacted me as deeply as did his Desiring God. I still frequently drink from Piper's well and am refreshed.

God is the Gospel is a good and passionate reminder that God himself is the best gift given to us in the gospel. This book is an important antidote to the me-ism and self-esteem-driven drivel that permeates so much contemporary pop Christian culture.

This is also one of Piper's more exegetical books, with much extended reflection on Scripture.

But it doesn't live up to his earlier books, at least not for me. The freshness and vitality of Desiring God, The Pleasures of God, and Future Grace are not there. There is much less in terms of illustration and application. That original trilogy is hard to beat.

God is the Gospel is very good - but not Piper's best. So, if you've not read Piper, start with something older. Get some vintage Piper. Dive into Desiring God (don't settle for the abridgement - The Dangerous Duty of Delight - you'll miss way too much!). But if you're a long-time Piper reader, then don't skip this one (like you would!). It's worth the read. ( )
  brianghedges | Oct 23, 2009 |
Classic Piper with some honing in on this one particular theme, that despite all the benefits of the gospel, the best and greatest gift of the gospel is God Himself.

Key quote = "What makes all the events of Good Friday and Easter and all the promises they secure good news is that they lead us to God...Everything else in the gospel is meant to display God's glory and remove every obstacle in him (such as his wrath) and in us (such as our rebellion) so that we can enjoy Him forever." ( )
  kdavidw | May 27, 2009 |
One of the best Piper books I've read, and most Piper books are well worth the read. But this one goes right to the heart of the Gospel: God.

This is something that is largely forgotten in Christianity. God should be our goal, our focus, our love, and our hope. Preachers will often preach on sin just to hammer sin. Yes, we should preach sin, but also redemption in Christ, because that one part of the Word, sin, without the rest is meaningless. Piper also tells us that teaching a good aspect of the Gospel without God is not the Gospel. Gifts, even salvation, without Him, is vanity.

We should see our God not for His gifts -- not peace, love, or eternal life -- but for God Himself. Yes, those other things would come with it, but we should love the Giver more than the gift.

I highly recommend this one. ( )
  nesum | Jan 12, 2008 |
With this book Piper raises the bar. It is clearly his argument that Joy in God is the goal of the gospel itself. He really did mean it when he said the chief purpose of man is to glorify God BY enjoying him forever. Now, he makes plain that it is God himself who makes the gospel good news... read more> ( )
  apwarnock | Oct 31, 2007 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,237,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible