Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Midnighters #2: Touching Darkness…

Midnighters #2: Touching Darkness (Midnighters) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Scott Westerfeld

Member:tyuiop159
Title:Midnighters #2: Touching Darkness (Midnighters)
Authors:Scott Westerfeld
Info:Eos (2006), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2

Touching Darkness by Scott Westerfeld (2004)

Touching Darkness is the second book in the Midnighters series. This one was even better than the first, The Secret Hour. The Midnighters are now faced with a new threat; a halfling, half Midnighter, half darkling. Dess takes center stage in this book as she finds another Midnighter, Madeleine, but this Midnighter is different from her friends and may not have the quest the other Midnighters are on as her main goal. Once again the group must work together to defeat this new threat or risk the possibility of losing one of their own. Great writing by Scott Westerfeld - layering the suspense making the book hard to put down even after it's finished. I'm starting Blue Noon as soon as I can. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
As good as the first book. Wonder if they will make a movie. ( )
  joem0601 | Mar 5, 2016 |
This is the 2nd book in the Midnighters series. I didn't like this book as much as the first one in the series. I just felt like the story moved very slowly for the first half of the book. There wasn't nearly as much adventure in the secret hour; with most of the mystery and events taking place during the normal hours of the day. Previous to reading this book I had read Westerfeld’s Uglies series (thought it was okay) and his Leviathan series (loved it).

The Midnighters are continuing to unravel the mysteries of Bixby. However, another danger...a danger from the Daylight hours threatens one of their group. This time it is not Jessica who is being hunted but another in their group...

There wasn’t nearly as much as action and adventure in the book. I was also disappointed that much of the book takes place in the daylight hours rather during the creepy and eerie midnight hour. A lot of the creepiness and creepy crawlies were fairly scarce in this book as well (I was really hoping to see more types of shadow creatures and learn more about them).

Additionally this book was just plain boring. I felt like there was very little plot and story here and what was here could have been told in a short story rather than a book. I honestly struggled with staying engaged in the story and almost didn't finish the book.

We again jump between a number of characters. This constant changing of POV didn’t work well for the book. It made it very hard to engage or care about any of the characters here. The story was better when the whole idea of the midnight hour was a novel and interesting one, but there really aren’t any new and interesting ideas presented in this book.

Overall I was fairly disappointed in this book. I thought it was boring and struggled to stay engaged with the story. By the end of this book I had absolutely no interest in finding out anything else about these characters or the mysterious town of Bixby. If you want to read something by Westerfeld that is actually good I would recommend his Leviathan series. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 17, 2015 |
The second book in the Midnighters trilogy. Like many second books, it both starts and ends in the middle of the story. In the first book, Jessica discovered the Secret Hour (an extra hour after midnight that only a handful of people experience) and the darklings. This time around we are introduced to a bit of the history of the Secret Hour and the origins of the Midnighters' special powers. I had fun reading it, but it's hard to have much of an opinion until I've seen how things end. ( )
  melydia | Apr 18, 2015 |
The whole series was great. For a middle book in a series, this one moved really well. It was still fast paced and full of action, not just a filler until book three. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
To My Father
At last, everything was sorted out.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060519568, Paperback)

Bixby, Oklahoma, is full of secrets.
some come out at midnight.
some should stay hidden.

As the Midnighters search for the truth about the secret hour, they uncover terrifying mysteries woven into the very fabric of Bixby’s history, and a conspiracy that touches the world of daylight.

This time Jessica Day is not the only Midnighter in mortal danger, and if the group can’t find a way to come together, they could lose one of their own . . . forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:24 -0400)

As they continue to battle evil creatures living in an hour hidden at midnight, Jessica and her new friends learn about Bixby, Oklahoma's shadowy past and uncover a deadly conspiracy that reaches beyond the secret hour.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,462,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible