The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci

The Plain Janes (2007)

by Cecil Castellucci, Jim Rugg

The Guerilla Art Kit by Keri Smith (Anonymous user)

An excellent title for younger teens and maybe tweens about recovering from trauma. Also short and sweet.

The main 'bad guy' was a little too puffy and not substancy, but that was my only complaint. ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |
terrorism, social activism

How does terrorism or the threat of terror affect communities and families? What can kids do to help?
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
I liked this book because it has strong teenage girl characters who don't need to fit in and do take risks for what they believe in. The story follows the main character as she tries to cope with and forget about the violence she experienced in her past. My favorite part is the message that through one's own actions comes and beauty, in whatever form chosen. ( )
  JoanAxthelm | Aug 4, 2017 |
Noted young adult novelist Cecil Castellucci and artist Jim Rugg launch Minx with the Plain Janes, a story about four girls named Jane. When transfer student Jane is forced to move from the confines of Metro City to Suburbia, she thinks her life is over. But there is the lunch room at the reject table she finds her tribe: three other girls named Jane. Main Jane encourages them to form a secret art gang and paint the town P.L.A.I.N. - People Loving Art In Neighborhoods. But can art attacks really save the hell that is high school? ( )
  Sgskraft | Oct 9, 2016 |
Well, I liked it.  I think a sequel could be even better though, as this was a bit too simplistic.  And I want to get to know James, and Cindy, and Mom better.  I'm still not really familiar with graphic novels though, so I don't know how good this is compared to most.  Well, anyway, I will try to read more by the author. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The characterization is stronger than the plotting, and while the theme of learning to process change as a part of growing up is nothing new, the soul’s need for art isn’t emphasized as often. The end of the book doesn’t live up to the power of the beginning, but that’s true of much entertainment these days.

A funny, spirited little story about a gang of girls named Jane at a strait-laced high-school, rejected by the mainstream, and their art adventures.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 22, 2007)

Cecil Castellucciprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rugg, Jimmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To all you Dandelions.
Metro City. Last Spring. When it happened, I fell.

When Jane moves to the suburbs, she thinks her life is over, but she meets three friends who form a club P.L.A.I.N.E., but can art really save a group of misfits from high school?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,456,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible