The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci

The Plain Janes (2007)

by Cecil Castellucci, Jim Rugg

The Guerilla Art Kit by Keri Smith (Anonymous user)

Noted young adult novelist Cecil Castellucci and artist Jim Rugg launch Minx with the Plain Janes, a story about four girls named Jane. When transfer student Jane is forced to move from the confines of Metro City to Suburbia, she thinks her life is over. But there is the lunch room at the reject table she finds her tribe: three other girls named Jane. Main Jane encourages them to form a secret art gang and paint the town P.L.A.I.N. - People Loving Art In Neighborhoods. But can art attacks really save the hell that is high school? ( )
  Sgskraft | Oct 9, 2016 |
Well, I liked it.  I think a sequel could be even better though, as this was a bit too simplistic.  And I want to get to know James, and Cindy, and Mom better.  I'm still not really familiar with graphic novels though, so I don't know how good this is compared to most.  Well, anyway, I will try to read more by the author. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
It's really adorable. The art is great and the story... well it tells the story of a girl named Jane who moves into a small city after a bomb incident in her hometown and how through art and friendship she'll try to remember how beautiful life still is. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
This was disappointing because I love the premise, but the delivery is so cliche it's almost a parody. The characters are walking stereotypes to the point of hyperbole. Drama Jane is basically the teacher from High School Musical, wearing scarves and long black dresses and quoting The Theatre at all times; Smart Jane wears glasses and a pocket protector and actually says the words "I calculate" and "my calculations". Sporty Jane wears hoodies and ponytails, and then there's Cindy:

You see what I mean. I read a review that called it "a well-intended piece of adolescent lit whose modest charms threaten to be overwhelmed by its status as a Significant Publishing Event: DC Comics' much-touted attempt at snagging the long elusive tween- & teen-girl audience," and I feel like that explains a lot. I definitely plan to read more by Cecil Castellucci, but we're off to a bit of a lackluster start.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Recommended reading for the teen who aspires to more in life than what her peer group tells her she should.

Jane and her parents flee for the suburbs after Jane survives a street bomb attack in Metro City. The event has forever colored her perspective and she no longer identifies with the run-of-the-mill high school atmosphere. She ignores invitations from the popular girls to sit with them and instead discovers her “tribe,” a trio of girls all also named Jane and rejects in their own ways: one is brainy, another is a bench-warming athlete, and the other a heavy-set drama diva. The tribe sets out to make their mark in a world they feel sorely needs it: they create “People Loving Art in Neighborhoods,” or PLAIN. Their mission is to create public art by stealth. The art attacks take the town and school by storm, leading to a curfew and a suspension of school activities. The story culminates in PLAIN’s big New Year’s Eve art project.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
The characterization is stronger than the plotting, and while the theme of learning to process change as a part of growing up is nothing new, the soul’s need for art isn’t emphasized as often. The end of the book doesn’t live up to the power of the beginning, but that’s true of much entertainment these days.
A funny, spirited little story about a gang of girls named Jane at a strait-laced high-school, rejected by the mainstream, and their art adventures.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (May 22, 2007)

Cecil Castellucciprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rugg, Jimmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To all you Dandelions.
Metro City. Last Spring. When it happened, I fell.

When Jane moves to the suburbs, she thinks her life is over, but she meets three friends who form a club P.L.A.I.N.E., but can art really save a group of misfits from high school?

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,831,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible