Sandworms of Dune by Brian Herbert

Sandworms of Dune (2007)

by Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson, Kevin J. Anderson

Series: Dune: complete chronology (17)

Dune by Frank Herbert (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: First book.

English (23)  Hungarian (1)  All (24)

Title: Sandworms of Dune
Series: Dune 7 #2
Author: Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson
Rating: 1 of 5 Stars
Genre: SF
Pages: 628
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Duncan and the crew of the Ithaca, along with several gholas, have adventures and get caught by Omnius. Duncan, as the best Kwisatz Haderach EVAH!!!!!, is the apex of humanity and does some kinky stuff with Erasmus, the thinking Robot. Then Erasmus dies. But not before Norma Cenva, the Oracle of Time, has saved the day with her Guild and using her magic powers makes all the versions of Omnius go poof.

Murbella singlehandedly forces the known forces of humanity to band together, only to have it all fall apart due to the machinations of the face dancers. But Norma Cenva, Oracle of Time, saves the day with her guild!

Before Erasmus dies, he kills all the face dancers across the whole universe using “technology”, ie, magic. And Norma Cenva, the Oracle of Time....oh wait, not this time.

Now Grand Poobah Duncan, more powerful than any human who has ever existed, must guide humanity and the rest of the thinking machines, into a future where they all get along while singing kum by ya and roasting smores around a campfire.

My Thoughts:

Back in 2007, I read and reviewed Sandworms of Dune. Overall, I was wicked happy with it, giving it 4stars. That was, unbeknownst to me then, simply due to the finishing up of the storyline of Dune.

This time around I read as a more mature Dune fan and I have to say, I felt like throwing up at this juvenile, facile and stinking putrescence of a book. I didn't even take notes of all the things I found abhorrent as it would have given this way more attention than I wanted to give it.

Trained Bene Gesserit Sisters being ambushed in plain sight by what amounts to no more than farmers. Duncan ignoring everything that came before about the dangers of prescience and claiming that he was better than both Paul and Leto II and so the dangers didn't apply to him. Everything that Frank Herbert wrote about, using Paul, as Paul Muad'dib, as the Preacher of Arrakeen, Leto II as the Tyrant, simply flushed down the toilet like it was a huge stinking turd so that that mediocre jackass authors could do what they wanted with this story. I want to blaspheme it makes me so angry.

The writing was just atrocious with its utter banality. Frank usually didn't write about the Great Big Events either, but he always used the small stuff afterwards to show how the GBE affected everything around it. His writing was masterful in that regards. Anderson put his stamp of complete mediocre writing on this book very heavily. Ham handed and dull, what a combo.

Normally, a bad book like this gets me raving and writing up a storm. This time, I'm just disappointed. Really disappointed. The kind of disappointment that makes a father disown his only son. I'm giving this my “worst book of the year” tag I'm so disappointed.

I now declare:
Henceforth, let it be known amongst the nations, to all peoples, kindreds, tribes and tongues, that Bookstooge, whose works the mighty look upon and despair, shall only read Dune as a standalone. Paul Maud'dib shall live happily ever after and his reign shall be long, prosperous and fair. The known universe shall benefit, from the lowliest servant to the mightiest lord and all shall love Paul and call his named blessed. Bookstooge thus declares it and thus reality shall alter to his will.
All Hail Bookstooge, Emperor of the Known Bookiverse!

★☆☆☆☆

Sandworms of Dune (2007 Review)
Hunters of Dune (Book 1)
Reviews of the Dune Chronicles ( )
2 vote BookstoogeLT | May 25, 2018 |
So this is it. The FINAL book in the original Dune series. I guess it would be more of a big deal if it was the last Dune book I'll ever read, but I've got at least 3 more that I know of. It IS kind of a big deal though, considering that I read the first Dune book probably sometime around 1982. That means I've been reading this series for about 36 years. :) So it was cool to "put a cap" on the original series and I'm glad that I really enjoyed it.

At first I felt a little like bringing the old characters back was a trick to sell more books, to make readers get nostalgic, but really Frank Herbert laid out the original ground work with Duncan Idaho so it worked for me. It was great to learn the history of the Honored Matres and also cool that they added ideas and characters from the prequels into it.

So basically what I'm saying is that I think I'll be okay reading Dune books until I'm dead. ( )
  ragwaine | Apr 29, 2018 |
The End of the Dune Saga! Lets see. Sandworms are modified to live in water. Facedancers plot to bring down Humanity AND Thinking Machines. Omnius and Erasmus are sweeping all before them. Norma Cenva, aka the Oracle of Time, aka the Guild Navigators 'god', is searching out for Omnius, to completely eradicate 'him'. The No-ship passengers are captured by Omnius. In the End of All, ie Krazilec, Oracle of Time removes Omnius; Duncan Idaho[who is the last and perfect Kwisatz Haderach] melds with Erasmus, much like Leto II did with sandworms, so that Humanity and Thinking Machines may live together instead of seeking mutual destruction; Erasmus activates a death code in the Facedancers and tells their leader he was aware of their plots the whole time; sandworms, with the Leto II ghola absorbed into them hence making them not so susceptible to water, make the homeworld of Omnius their new home. There is a lot. This is what happened.

My thoughts on it are another whole matter...

The Saga of Dune is Far from Over!

That phrase makes all True Dune Fans shiver with anticipation and delight.

And now, the Saga of Dune is done! Let me recap my history with this extraordinary series.

When I was 12 or 13 I read Dune for the first time. I don't know exactly how to describe it. I was hooked, even at that age, and yet I seem to remember that I knew there was more to the story than what I was getting out of it at the time. Dune has a huge re-readability factor. It never fails to amaze me, grab my attention and just make me go Wow!".

Now, the Quarryville Library I saw the sequels to Dune, namely:
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
ChapterHouse Dune

The covers for the Chronicles of Dune[as the collective books are known]were from the 70's and early 80's and were earth colored, drab, and boring! Even though I liked Dune a lot, I was not sufficiently mature enough to quite make the connection that the sequels could be just as intriguing, even if the covers really did turn me off.

By the time I was 17 though, I had read them all. They made a big impression on me. Not as impactful as the first, but still, the series as a whole was deeply lodged in my Bookworm Soul :-) ChapterHouse Dune ended at a cliffhanger, and since Frank Herbert died soon after it, I, along with millions of other fans, were resigned to never knowing Frank's Ending Vision for Dune.

So imagine my delight when in '99, Frank Herbert's son, Brian, along with Kevin Anderson, began writing prequels to the Chronicles of Dune. Not so good as if they had written the ending, but hey, I needed a new Dune fix, and these were it. Started out with an immediate[chronologically speaking] prequel dealing the generation before Paul Atreides. This Prelude to Dune series was good stuff. Next came the Legends of Dune, a series set 10,000 years before Dune, which explored how that universe came to be setup in the geo/political/religious/techno way it was.

As good as these 6 books were, there was always the Dark Cloud hanging over every Dune fans' head, what Happened after ChapterHouse? Truth be told though, we weren't sure we wanted to know. Brian and Kevin, as good as they were, simply could not write in the style that Frank stylized for the Chronicles of Dune. That being the case, could they make up a good enough ending that wouldn't ruin it all for us? The answer, we universally clamored, was a resounding "No!". However, a box of undiscovered notes by Frank, with an extensive outline for Dune 7 was discovered, and with Frank's ghostly hand guiding them, Brian and Kevin began to Finish the Saga of Dune! Originally titled Dune 7 by Frank, Brian and Kevin split it into 2 books, Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.

And I have finished it. My summary of the plot of Sandworms of Dune can be found Here.

But now, it can be said, The Saga of Dune is Finished. I am satisfied" ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Please read the full review on Weighing A Pig...

(...)

If the ending is anything like that outline proposed, it turns out that Frank Herbert wanted the end of the Dune series to be about humanity’s material nature. The story echoes what so many other SF-writers wrote and still write: thinking, self-conscious robots, like any advanced self-conscious form of A.I., aren’t morally or ethically different from a biological human. It is electricity that runs through our nerves, we are robots ourselves, made of flesh: “moist robots”, as Dilbert creator Scott Adams coined it.

(...)

Reading Sandworms Of Dune I never had the feeling Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson showed any respect: no respect for the source material, and no respect for the intelligence of their readers.

I’m seriously thinking of not bringing this to the secondhand bookstore, but burning it. ( )
2 vote bormgans | Apr 21, 2016 |
Laughable. All the clones that popped up almost made this book feel like a parody of the original series.
1 vote wissamktb | Feb 1, 2015 |

Brian Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, Kevin J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, Kevin J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
So many people I know in the past are not yet reborn. I still miss them, even though I do not remember them. The axlotl tanks will soon remedy that.
-------Lady Jessica,
the ghola
Aboard the wandering no-ship Ithaca, Jessica witnessed the birth of her daughter, but only as an observer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076531293X, Hardcover)

At the end of Frank Herbert's final novel, Chapterhouse: Dune, a ship carrying a crew of refugees escapes into the uncharted galaxy, fleeing from a terrifying, mysterious Enemy. The fugitives used genetic technology to revive key figures from Dune's past--including Paul Muad'Dib and Lady Jessica--to use their special talents to meet the challenges thrown at them.

Based directly on Frank Herbert's final outline, which lay hidden in two safe-deposit boxes for a decade, Sandworms of Dune will answer the urgent questions Dune fans have been debating for two decades: the origin of the Honored Matres, the tantalizing future of the planet Arrakis, the final revelation of the Kwisatz Haderach, and the resolution to the war between Man and Machine. This breathtaking new novel in Frank Herbert's Dune series has enough surprises and plot twists to please even the most demanding reader.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

"Hunters of Dune and the concluding volume, Sandworms of Dune, bring together the great story lines and beloved characters in Frank Herbert's classic Dune universe, ranging from the time of the Butlerian Jihad to the original Dune series and beyond. Based directly on Frank Herbert's final outline, which lay hidden in safe-deposit boxes for a decade, these two volumes will finally answer the urgent questions Dune fans have been debating for two decades." "At the end of Frank Herbert's final novel, Chapterhouse: Dune, a ship carrying a crew of refugees escapes into the uncharted galaxy, fleeing from a terrifying, mysterious Enemy. The fugitives used genetic technology to revive key figures from Dune's past - including Paul Muad'Dib and Lady Jessica - to strengthen their chances of survival by using their special talents to meet the incredible challenges of the journey." "Sandworms of Dune will reveal the tantalizing future of the planet Arrakis, the final revelation of the Kwisatz Haderach, and the resolution to the war between man and machine."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,240,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible