Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

Little Dorrit (1857)

by Charles Dickens

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: They are both wonderful love stories, and they are both my favorite books by the respective authors.

English (64)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All (68)
So for the last two days I've wanted to post "Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prisms, prunes and prisms" as my Facebook status except that I fear no one would get it and everyone would think I am crazy.

This is one of the really underrated Dickens books, in my opinion. I've read it four or five times and I've enjoyed it thoroughly each time. I think Little Dorrit herself is a great character and the plot is somewhat less complicated than the machinations in Bleak House. If you can find time for 1000 pages of Victorian prose, it will be worth the effort. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Oh good. It's done.

The details of life in a debtors' prison are extraordinary. Little Dorrit is the perfect hands folded, self-effacing young woman. Her father escapes his prison in one of those Dickensian twists of good shall overcome. The good guy wins the hand of Little Dorrit, and his mother earns her just deserts. But all of these things are so typical and not enough to redeem this tome and these characters. ( )
  threadnsong | May 6, 2018 |
Before reading any works by Charles Dickens, I really wanted to like everything he’d penned. I expected to, in fact, because of his reputation.

Alas! “Little Dorrit” is yet another of this highly-acclaimed and super-successful author’s novels that failed to engage me.

Too many characters, too many adverbs, and too much rambling on with no purpose equals a slow and unengaging narrative.

I see most others reviewers have high praise for both book and author, but sadly I can’t concur. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Apr 15, 2018 |
Not as well-known as his other works but this is such a brilliant satirical and symbolic novel. I have laughed so much, in the chapters of the father of the marshal sea or that involving the “high society” or the bureaucracy.
It is filled with some idiosyncratic and entertaining characters like the father of the marshal sea, the benevolent Mr.Casby, Mr.Sparkler who loves women with no nonsense about them, Mrs.Merdle and her extensive bosom and also a wicked pantomime villain.
Along with the comical part this also deals with many important themes like imprisonment, whether in the debtors prison or in the structures of society. It’s a satire on the Victorian society and a self-serving bureaucracy. It’s a moral parable against capitalist greed and ambition. Against hauteur and pride.
This book does tend to get very tedious in some of its long-winded, descriptive, wordy passages. Its plot is a typical Dickensian plot with a lot of convolutions and melodrama. But still a sprawling epic that is quite enjoyable.
  kasyapa | Oct 9, 2017 |
Not one of my favourite Dickens book, Little Dorrit is too perfect a character. The ending is too 'alls well ends well' in spite of the loss of fortune of the two primary characters in the book. ( )
  siok | Jan 22, 2017 |

Preston, PeterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Small, HelenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trilling, LionelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wall, StephenEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thirty years ago, Marseilles lay burning in the sun, one day.
Indiani, russi, cinesi, spagnoli, portoghesi, inglesi, francesi, genovesi, napoletani, veneziani, greci, turchi, tutti i discendenti dei costruttori della Torre di Babele convenuti a Marsiglia per i loro commerci cercavano l'ombra …
Il tanfo della prigione gravava su ogni cosa. L'aria imprigionata, la luce imprigionata, l'umidità imprigionata, gli uomini imprigionati, tutto era degradato dalla reclusione. I prigionieri erano pallidi e sparuti come il ferro coperto di ruggine, la pietra viscida, il legno putrido, l'aria viziata e la luce opaca.
L'altro sputò e si raschiò la gola. Subito dopo s'udì anche una serratura raschiarsi la gola e una porta sbatté.
«Guarda la luce del giorno! Giorno! Questa è la luce di otto giorni fa, di sei mesi fa, di sei anni fa, tanto è debole e scialba!»
Era semplicemente un fanfarone, uno sfacciato millantatore; ma quanto a questo, e non solo a questo, in tutte le parti del mondo la sfacciataggine nell'affermare una cosa vale più d'una prova tangibile della sua realtà.

When Arthur Clennam returns to England after many years abroad, he takes a kindly interest in Amy Dorrit, his mother’s seamstress, and in the affairs of Amy’s father, William Dorrit, a man of shabby grandeur, long imprisoned for debt in the Marshalsea. As Arthur soon discovers, the dark shadow of the prison stretches far beyond its walls to affect the lives of many, from the kindly Mr. Pancks, the reluctant rent-collector of Bleeding Heart Yard, and the tipsily garrulous Flora Finching, to Merdle, an unscrupulous financier, and the bureaucratic Barnacles in the Circumlocution Office. A masterly evocation of the state and psychology of imprisonment, Little Dorrit is one of the supreme works of Dickens’s maturity.

This revised edition includes expanded notes and updated suggestions for further reading Includes a chronology of Dickens's life and works, original illustrations,  and an Introduction by Stephen Wall examining Dickens's own memories of his father's incarceration in Marshalsea

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:47 -0400)

"When Arthur Clennam returns to England after many years abroad, he takes a kindly interest in Amy Dorrit, his mother's seamstress, and in the affairs of Amy's father, William Dorrit, a man of shabby grandeur, long imprisoned for debt in the Marshalsea. As Arthur soon discovers, the dark shadow of the prison stretches far beyond its walls to affect the lives of many, from the kindly Mr. Pancks, the reluctant rent-collector of Bleeding Heart Yard, and the garrulous Flora Finching, to Merdle, an unscrupulous financier, and the bureaucratic Barnacles in the Circumlocution Office. A masterly evocation of the state and psychology of imprisonment, Little Dorrit is one of the supreme works of Dickens's maturity." "Stephen Wolf's introduction examines Dickens's transformation of childhood memories of his father's incarceration in the Marshalsea. This revised edition includes expanded notes, appendices and suggestions for further reading by Helen Small, a chronology of Dickens's life and works, and original illustrations."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439963, 0141037393, 0141199377

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,524,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible