dismiss

Spellbound (edition 2019)

by Allie Therin (Author)

Series: Magic in Manhattan (1)

To save Manhattan, they'll have to save each other first... 1925 New York Arthur Kenzie's life's work is protecting the world from the supernatural relics that could destroy it. When an amulet with the power to control the tides is shipped to New York, he must intercept it before it can be used to devastating effects. This time, in order to succeed, he needs a powerful psychometric...and the only one available has sworn off his abilities altogether. Rory Brodigan's gift comes with great risk. To protect himself, he's become a recluse, redirecting his magic to find counterfeit antiques. But with the city's fate hanging in the balance, he can't force himself to say no. Being with Arthur is dangerous, but Rory's ever-growing attraction to him begins to make him brave. And as Arthur coaxes him out of seclusion, a magical and emotional bond begins to form. One that proves impossible to break--even when Arthur sacrifices himself to keep Rory safe and Rory must risk everything to save him. One-click with confidence. This title is part of the Carina Press Romance Promise: all the romance you're looking for with an HEA/HFN. It's a promise! This book is approximately 75,000 words… (more)
Member:bibliovermis
Title:Spellbound
Authors:Allie Therin (Author)
Info:Carina Press (2019), 243 pages
Collections:2020, 2019, Your library, ARCs
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, romance, fantasy, magic, history, 1920s, new york city, politics, lgbtqia, multiple perspectives, missing persons, series: magic in manhattan

Spellbound by Allie Therin

The descriptive bit: Arthur Kenzie is wealthy, educated and has some very magical friends. He keeps the supernatural secrets of his friends while trying to make sure that magical objects don’t fall into the wrong hands. Rory Brodigan is living a secret life, hiding his supernatural gift by working as an appraiser. The two men meet up when Kenzie finds an object that he needs read by someone with the right abilities. Then, things get really complicated!

My thoughts bit: This was enchanting! (I don’t regret the pun!) I loved every moment of this book. It was fast-moving, intriguing, and had the absolute perfect amount of sexual tension. The chemistry between Arthur and Rory was carefully crafted and has ensured I will be anxiously awaiting a sequel. In addition to the wonderful main characters, the supporting cast is all well-rounded and contributed a great deal to the plot.

The supernatural powers in the story were based on the traditional powers one might have read about, but I loved the authors twist on losing oneself into the magic. Each power demonstrated by one of the characters seemed to have an equal drain on them, and the terrifying possibility of losing themselves to a power they were unable to harness.

This is a creative twist on the supernatural mystery and I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  KinzieThings | Jun 16, 2020 |
1920’s New York with magic? Sign me tf UP!

Loved, loved, loved this book to pieces. I basically gulped it down in two sittings, because I just couldn’t put it down: the world is so alive and characters are incredibly lovely, and the main romance is simply swoon-worthy.

5/5 for a well-crafted debut. Can’t wait for book 2! ( )
  tetiana.90 | May 18, 2020 |
This vastly exceeded my expectations; I was expecting (and would have been satisfied with) something much fluffier, something lighter on plot, detailed fantasy elements, and characterization—instead it excelled at all three. The central romance hit most of the usual tropes and story beats; there weren't any surprises there—but isn't that what we all signed up for? I'm happily anticipating reading more in the series. ( )
  bibliovermis | Aug 4, 2019 |
Magic in Manhattan #1

Stepping into a magical paranormal romance set in 1925 New York was a delight. The plot and characters were perfect to time, place and this story. From page one I was hooked and I kept reading eagerly to find out what would happen next. Rory and Arthur were an absolute delight as they found way to one another. I fell in love with both of them and am so happy they found one another.

This book has a cast of characters with and without paranormal abilities. There are relics with power, people who want the relics to gain the power and while Arthur and his band of paranormal people are doing their best to keep that power contained and away from the corrupt evil people after the relics.

One of the side benefits that I love about getting to read advanced reader copies of books is that sometimes I stumble on a new-to-me author that I want to read more by. This time I found a debut author that I see a great future for. I loved this book and am eager to read what will happen next in this series. With seven magical relics mentioned and characters with paranormal abilities I want to know more about I am hoping that there will be more books to look forward to soon.

What I liked:
• Arthur: a noble hero without “magic” but who is magical lifeline to Rory
• Rory: a younger man with magic that has so much to give
• The Paranormal Friends of Arthur: so much I want to learn about them
• Mrs Brodigan and her sister: good women who were there for Rory
• Everything...still smiling as I think about this book

What I didn’t like”
• Exactly what was meant not to like

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Will I read more by this author? Without a doubt!

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin-Carina Press for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Jul 22, 2019 |

Charlotte_Kinzie | Jun 20, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,645,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible