Loving Frank: A Novel by Nancy Horan

Loving Frank: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Nancy Horan

Title:Loving Frank: A Novel
Authors:Nancy Horan
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Edition: X, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Historical Fiction, Fiction

Loving Frank: A Novel by Nancy Horan

English (185)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (187)
I found Mamah very selfish. I didn't feel like the book did a good job of showing Frank's attraction. She leaves her boring husband for the exciting Frank Loyd Wright. Edwin is kind, dependable and loves her. The book tries to say she need to be free of Edwin to really express and discover herself. But Edwin was proud of her intelligence and had no problem with her involvement in the Woman's movement during their marriage Frank on the other hand is unreliable and always thinks of himself first.

Mamah believes children will understand her actions. She thinks her being happy is so important, that it truly is the best thing for her children to have a happy mother..

She just expects her sister to step in and help the children. Mamah only relizes how much she has upset her sister's life.when she tries to reconcile with her sister.

Mamah works to translate Ellen Key. She sees in Ellen's philosphy justification of her actions, ignoring Ellen's beliefs about children.

The book ends tragically. ( )
  nx74defiant | Sep 1, 2016 |
I liked the writing of this book a lot, but I thought the main character was extremely immature and annoying. I could not sympathize with her at all. ( )
  emilyesears | Aug 29, 2016 |

I highly recommend this one! I didn't think I would like it as much as I did!The story is consistent in its "speed" throughout the book. But the end comes up so fast and ends so quickly,it left me breathless. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
may 2013
  MatkaBoska | Jun 15, 2016 |
Loving Frank – Nancy Horan –narrated by Joyce Bean
4 stars
Loving Frank is a detailed historical fiction about the love affair of Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney. It is Mamah’s story of the advent of the affair and its life-changing consequences. Nancy Horan has done a devastating job of portraying Mamah’s struggle for self- realization and her grief at the overwhelming consequences of her decisions. It isn’t a happy story. The love affair made headline news in a time when divorce was very much a social scandal. Frank Lloyd Wright was a genius, but he was also selfish, self- involved and completely irresponsible in his spending habits. The sad thing about reading this story was that I couldn’t even hope for an eventually happy outcome. I knew the history of the tragic ending.
It was, however, a very interesting book. It gave me insight into the “woman” movement in America and Europe. Mamah Borthwick was an extremely educated woman. She spoke 4 or 5 languages and had a master’s degree, but as a divorced woman she was unable to earn a living because no one would hire her.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
One lives but once in the world.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goeth
For Kevin
It was Edwin who wanted to build a new house.
Mamah describes Wright as someone who, "had come to mistake his gift for the whole of his character."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345495004, Paperback)

Amazon Significant Seven, August 2007: It's a rare treasure to find a historically imagined novel that is at once fully versed in the facts and unafraid of weaving those truths into a story that dares to explore the unanswered questions. Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney's love story is--as many early reviews of Loving Frank have noted--little-known and often dismissed as scandal. In Nancy Horan's skillful hands, however, what you get is two fully realized people, entirely, irrepressibly, in love. Together, Frank and Mamah are a wholly modern portrait, and while you can easily imagine them in the here and now, it's their presence in the world of early 20th century America that shades how authentic and, ultimately, tragic their story is. Mamah's bright, earnest spirit is particularly tender in the context of her time and place, which afforded her little opportunity to realize the intellectual life for which she yearned. Loving Frank is a remarkable literary achievement, tenderly acute and even-handed in even the most heartbreaking moments, and an auspicious debut from a writer to watch. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:58 -0400)

Fact and fiction blend in a historical novel that chronicles the relationship between seminal architect Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney, from their meeting, when they were each married to another, to the clandestine affair that shocked Chicago society.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,723,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible