Love, Meg by C. Leigh Purtill

Love, Meg

by C. Leigh Purtill

High school sophomore Meg longs for a "normal life" instead of constantly moving whenever Lucie, her older sister and guardian, finds a new boyfriend, but after Meg discovers a family secret, she leaves Lucie and Hollywood, California, for Queens, New York, in search of answers and loving relatives.

This was the first book by C. Leigh Purtill that I've read, and I was pulled in from the first page. Love, Meg is a story of a girl, in search of who she really is after she learns that her whole life, has been one complete lie after another. When she flies halfway across the country in search for answers, she learns that not everything is as she had hoped. I recommend this book to everyone who's a fan of YA books, a very good read. ( )
  kissmeimgone | May 18, 2011 |
Reviewed by Jeremey for TeensReadToo.com

Teenager Meg Shanley and her thrity-year-old sister, Lucie, are moving from town to town, looking for a better life. Their parents are gone and Lucie has taken over the role as mother to Meg, although she has not done a very good job of it. Lucie tends to think more along the lines of what's best for herself instead of what's best for Meg. Meg must travel with Lucie because she has no other family to go to.

When Lucie abandons her motherly role, Meg finds a new "mother," Jennifer Aniston. Meg writes all of her worries and woes in a letter - and Jennifer Aniston actually replies! The replies are motherly, filled with caring and solutions to her problems. Jen is more of a mother to Meg than Lucie is of a sister.

One day, a strange man arrives at Meg and Lucie's Los Angeles house bringing a horrifying truth: Lucie is not exactly who she has been pretending to be. The man, Lonnie, explains that Meg has a grandmother and even a father back in New York. No one knows anything about Meg's father, though, except that he doesn't even know that Meg exists.

With Lucie's words of "If you go, don't come back" imprinted on her mind, Meg hops on a plane to New York to find a family she never knew existed - and what she finds is much more than she expected...

If I could give LOVE, MEG a higher rating I would! This book totally captivated me and made me look forward to continuing my reading. LOVE, MEG is a book I will lend and recommend to other readers proudly. I cannot explain how amazing I thought this book was. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
Very very typical young adult novel. Though some of the details were interesting, the whole thing played out pretty much as expected. Parts were a bit too soap-opera-y for me, but I suppose most teenage girls are into melodrama. The premise that a 16-year-old girl would actually believe that Jennifer Aniston, famous actress, would write letters to her and consider her a friend was a bit disturbing to me. Granted, she had a bit of a tough life, but she's described as a rather smart girl. Clearly her intelligence does not apply to this delusion. Also not a fan of the convenient knocking-off of Meg's grandmother. Felt like a cop-out. ( )
  booksandbosox | Feb 1, 2009 |

C. Leigh Purtill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,623,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible