Civil War by Mark Millar
5201919,468 (3.65)24
Member:BFoote
Title:Civil War
Authors:Mark Millar
Other authors:Steve McNiven (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2008), Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:One of my favourite marvel comics

Civil War by Mark Millar

Recently added byprivate library, craso, Maji46, Golias, nomad515, emking85, Katharine1999, xicanti

A group of reality tv show superheroes go up against a group of serious villains with tragic results. A school full of children is destroyed killing hundreds of people. The U.S. government is urged by an activist mother of one of the victims, Tony Stark, and S.H.I.E.L.D., to create a new law that would insure all superheroes register with the government and become employees of the government. S.H.I.E.L.D. would over see training and deployment of the super humans. Captain America sees this as a violation of the freedoms of the superheroes as well as a creation of a super human military body. Cap, along with his close allies, refuse to register and become outlaws. Tony Stark, a.k.a Ironman, leads the law abiding superheroes to try and capture the law breakers. A lot of unexpected alliances are made and some close relationships are torn apart.

This is an extremely intelligent storyline. It gives you a lot to think about. After so many school slayings and public shootings I can see people becoming scared and pushing the government into hasty actions. I am the type of person who believes rules are there for a reason so I lean towards Tony Starks side. Why not regulate superheroes? Make sure they are stable personalities and properly trained. The problem is I believe in Captain America and what he stands for and I know he is correct. Freedoms will be lost and that is wrong. Once freedoms are surrendered they are hard to get back.

The art work is beautiful and the writing is excellent. It you are a fan of Marvel comics and movies especially the Avengers this is a must read. ( )
1 vote craso | Dec 12, 2014 |
I enjoyed the comic, it had some great artwork and a good storyline. ( )
  Elliots89 | Sep 22, 2014 |
I don't know what I expected here.

This was a colossal letdown. To be truthful, I was pretty bored reading this. I read a few reviews from people on here that suggested reading a few of the other individual "Civil War" issues as they more or less, fill in some gaps.

I had this gut feeling that I wasn't really going to understand what was going on here. With all these other story lines running on the side in individual series', I wasn't sure where to start. Hey, it's not rocket science; I did manage to get the gist of it but I failed to see the point. I didn't quite understand why they needed to kick the crap out of each other! Especially considering the way it ends. I also hated Iron Man bringing in several super-villains to aid him in his arrest of Captain America and his rebel forces.

The idea was extremely interesting and I kept thinking how I would have written it or pulled it off. I had a few scenarios in my head but nothing seemed interesting. It's hard to really pin-point my problem with the series but I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. Do I need to read the others? Is there something I'm missing?

branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Civil War opens with a horrific event. A team of teen heroes, working on a reality tv show, go after some villains way beyond their capability. A school full of children is destroyed when Nitro unleashes an enormous explosion. In the wake of the tragedy, the US government responds to public pressure by passing the Superhero Registration Act (SHRA) – all superpowered people must now register with, work for, and be accountable to, the Federal government. This Act divides the heroes for and against the law: Tony Stark’s Iron Man in support of it, and Captain America in opposition to it.

The creators of Civil War tried keep the story from being black and white. There’s supposed to be no “villain,” just two groups divided over opinion. However, I don't think they fully succeeded in doing so. Tony is not evil, but he is WRONG. Cap’s people are technically criminals, breaking the law. But, just because a law exists does not make it right or just. The government sanctioned internment camps for Japanese citizens during WWII, and Prohibition seemed like a good idea. But, people are trading freedom for security (something the Civil War writers specifically mention in the commentary). Though Cap is on the wrong side of the law, it is Tony’s pro-SHRA side that makes the morally questionable decisions – like cloning Thor and forcing/using supervillains to hunt down Cap and his colleagues. The writers tried to paint Tony as making a difficult choice because he believes in it. Instead, it was more like acting out of guilt and ego; losing the adulation of the public was as horrific for him as the innocent deaths. Tony, unlike many heroes, is shielded from the more severe consequences of the SHRA. He’s still rich; he’ll not be the hero on street that has to be licensed to break up a mugging. He (and Reed) will run things from inside the ivory tower; they will still exercise power. I don’t think Tony came off as a villain, but I do think he came across as weak and cowardly. He’s a futurist, but it is always a future he builds and controls. For Cap, popularity has never been a goal, or even a benefit. He fights for what is right, and it is wrong to force people to work for the government because of gifts/skills they possess. Should all expert marksmen have to join the military? Or geniuses forced to work in government labs? Taking away freedom may provide security, but then you have the House of M.

I do feel the writers stayed true to the characters. Cap and Tony’s thoughts and actions make sense, as do their allies (even to some side-switching). Further, the conclusion was the only one that could work. ***SPOILER*** Registration has to prevail, or the crossover would have been meaningless; the status quo would not have changed. Civil War is downright depressing at moments, seeing these heroes fight their friends, but it is also a superb piece of writing. I look forward to seeing how the chips fall in the Marvel Universe.

The first half of the Civil War hardcover collection is the main event. The second half of the collection has bonus materials which include: an interview with the creators, some fake newspaper articles and headlines covering the Registration act, as well as the full script of Civil War. The script section was especially enlightening as it includes commentary from the creators interspersed throughout. Readers learn why certain things unfolded as they did, why some panels were drawn the way they were, and more importantly, what the creators feel Cap and Tony were thinking during the story. Overall, this event was downright amazing and I look forward to reading the tie-ins. Highly recommended! ( )
  jshillingford | Jan 29, 2014 |
Much better than the video game. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078512179X, Paperback)

The landscape of the Marvel Universe is changing, and it's time to choose: Whose side are you on? A conflict has been brewing from more than a year, threatening to pit friend against friend, brother against brother - and all it will take is a single misstep to cost thousands their lives and ignite the fuse! As the war claims its first victims, no one is safe as teams, friendships and families begin to fall apart. The crossover that rewrites the rules, Civil War stars Spider-Man, the New Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and the entirety of the Marvel pantheon! Collects Civil War #1-7, plus extras.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:49 -0400)

"The Marvel universe is changing. In the wake of a tragedy, Capitol Hill proposes the Super Hero Registration Act, requiring all costumed heroes to unmask themselves before the government. Divided, the nation's greatest champions must each decide how to react -- a decision that will alter the course of their lives forever."--cover, p.4.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible