Civil War by Mark Millar
498None20,369 (3.64)20
Member:BFoote
Title:Civil War
Authors:Mark Millar
Other authors:Steve McNiven (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2008), Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:One of my favourite marvel comics

Civil War by Mark Millar

I don't know what I expected here.

This was a colossal letdown. To be truthful, I was pretty bored reading this. I read a few reviews from people on here that suggested reading a few of the other individual "Civil War" issues as they more or less, fill in some gaps.

I had this gut feeling that I wasn't really going to understand what was going on here. With all these other story lines running on the side in individual series', I wasn't sure where to start. Hey, it's not rocket science; I did manage to get the gist of it but I failed to see the point. I didn't quite understand why they needed to kick the crap out of each other! Especially considering the way it ends. I also hated Iron Man bringing in several super-villains to aid him in his arrest of Captain America and his rebel forces.

The idea was extremely interesting and I kept thinking how I would have written it or pulled it off. I had a few scenarios in my head but nothing seemed interesting. It's hard to really pin-point my problem with the series but I'm hoping someone can guide me in the right direction. Do I need to read the others? Is there something I'm missing?

branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Civil War opens with a horrific event. A team of teen heroes, working on a reality tv show, go after some villains way beyond their capability. A school full of children is destroyed when Nitro unleashes an enormous explosion. In the wake of the tragedy, the US government responds to public pressure by passing the Superhero Registration Act (SHRA) – all superpowered people must now register with, work for, and be accountable to, the Federal government. This Act divides the heroes for and against the law: Tony Stark’s Iron Man in support of it, and Captain America in opposition to it.

The creators of Civil War tried keep the story from being black and white. There’s supposed to be no “villain,” just two groups divided over opinion. However, I don't think they fully succeeded in doing so. Tony is not evil, but he is WRONG. Cap’s people are technically criminals, breaking the law. But, just because a law exists does not make it right or just. The government sanctioned internment camps for Japanese citizens during WWII, and Prohibition seemed like a good idea. But, people are trading freedom for security (something the Civil War writers specifically mention in the commentary). Though Cap is on the wrong side of the law, it is Tony’s pro-SHRA side that makes the morally questionable decisions – like cloning Thor and forcing/using supervillains to hunt down Cap and his colleagues. The writers tried to paint Tony as making a difficult choice because he believes in it. Instead, it was more like acting out of guilt and ego; losing the adulation of the public was as horrific for him as the innocent deaths. Tony, unlike many heroes, is shielded from the more severe consequences of the SHRA. He’s still rich; he’ll not be the hero on street that has to be licensed to break up a mugging. He (and Reed) will run things from inside the ivory tower; they will still exercise power. I don’t think Tony came off as a villain, but I do think he came across as weak and cowardly. He’s a futurist, but it is always a future he builds and controls. For Cap, popularity has never been a goal, or even a benefit. He fights for what is right, and it is wrong to force people to work for the government because of gifts/skills they possess. Should all expert marksmen have to join the military? Or geniuses forced to work in government labs? Taking away freedom may provide security, but then you have the House of M.

I do feel the writers stayed true to the characters. Cap and Tony’s thoughts and actions make sense, as do their allies (even to some side-switching). Further, the conclusion was the only one that could work. ***SPOILER*** Registration has to prevail, or the crossover would have been meaningless; the status quo would not have changed. Civil War is downright depressing at moments, seeing these heroes fight their friends, but it is also a superb piece of writing. I look forward to seeing how the chips fall in the Marvel Universe.

The first half of the Civil War hardcover collection is the main event. The second half of the collection has bonus materials which include: an interview with the creators, some fake newspaper articles and headlines covering the Registration act, as well as the full script of Civil War. The script section was especially enlightening as it includes commentary from the creators interspersed throughout. Readers learn why certain things unfolded as they did, why some panels were drawn the way they were, and more importantly, what the creators feel Cap and Tony were thinking during the story. Overall, this event was downright amazing and I look forward to reading the tie-ins. Highly recommended! ( )
  jshillingford | Jan 29, 2014 |
Much better than the video game. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
The problem with the Civil War arc in Marvel comics is the sheer amount of stuff you have to read to get the full story. I mean, my main interest lies with Cap and Iron Man, and the Young Avengers, but while they're main players here there's a lot going on both for them that isn't in this collection, and stuff going on without them in this collection. I don't know much about the Fantastic Four or Daredevil, and it's a little awkward to jump in.

Nonetheless, this is a pretty amazing crossover event, and the ending is amazing -- the way Steve takes his mask off and just, aghhh. I don't know whether to hope they incorporate this into the MCU or not.

One thing I would've liked would've been to see Hulkling just a bit more concerned about his boyfriend being in prison. I don't know if that shows up in the Runaways/Young Avengers crossover Civil War comic, but given the strength of their concern for each other in the Young Avengers comics, it feels a bit weak. ( )
  shanaqui | Aug 30, 2013 |
The art was nice and the story had great potential but it ended up being a huge let down. ( )
  aarow | Apr 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078512179X, Paperback)

The landscape of the Marvel Universe is changing, and it's time to choose: Whose side are you on? A conflict has been brewing from more than a year, threatening to pit friend against friend, brother against brother - and all it will take is a single misstep to cost thousands their lives and ignite the fuse! As the war claims its first victims, no one is safe as teams, friendships and families begin to fall apart. The crossover that rewrites the rules, Civil War stars Spider-Man, the New Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and the entirety of the Marvel pantheon! Collects Civil War #1-7, plus extras.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:49 -0400)

"The Marvel universe is changing. In the wake of a tragedy, Capitol Hill proposes the Super Hero Registration Act, requiring all costumed heroes to unmask themselves before the government. Divided, the nation's greatest champions must each decide how to react -- a decision that will alter the course of their lives forever."--cover, p.4.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible