Civil War by Mark Millar
Member:BFoote
Title:Civil War
Authors:Mark Millar
Other authors:Steve McNiven (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2008), Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:One of my favourite marvel comics

Civil War by Mark Millar

Recently added bykiro3023, rooner, remy-valero, marcusrt, heathn, D.Witz, jmgold, ChiefBrody, dcnewbie21, private library

Civil War was a huge event in the Marvel universe that pit hero against hero in an ideological struggle over exactly what it means to be a super-hero. On the one side was a faction anchored by Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Hank Pym, and the entire S.H.I.E.L.D. apparatus, while on the other was Captain America and a motley collection of lesser heroes who were seemingly hopelessly outclassed by their opposition. Through the volume, these warring sides battle back and forth with attacks, counterattacks, feints, and ambushes, leading to a climatic final confrontation of epic proportions. Unfortunately, Civil War is an enormous and, at times incoherent mess that is dragged down by the weight of the inherent contradictions within both the premises that make up the foundation of the story and the Marvel universe itself.

[More forthcoming] ( )
  StormRaven | Apr 28, 2016 |
The U.S. government passes a Superhero Registration Act and Iron Man and Captain America end up on opposite sides of the law. I picked this up because I watched a couple of the trailers for the upcoming film and was thoroughly confused about the portrayed allegiances. This one cleared it up for me and I am looking forward to seeing how it all plays out in the movie. Some of the characters are a little "off" for me, but that might be because I am not following the comics in any sort of orderly fashion. Quite entertaining storyline, some very interesting twists, and a couple of kick-ass battles. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 15, 2016 |
Great read. A rouge Captain America. A side a never thought to be possible. He tells us that even the most patriotic of all can go against the government when he lets you down. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
I like the story, reminds me a bit of the X-Men but with more delineation of the usual "teams." At the end it felt a little lacking, but I'll try to read some more of the supplemental materials to get more range out of the story. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Mark Millar brings his political and cultural awareness to Civil War, Marvel's version of the USA PATRIOT Act in which a disaster involving superheroes results in the creation of the Superhuman Registration Act. Captain America and his followers represent the ideas of individual liberty while Iron Man and his camp fight for the perceived general good. Spider-Man serves as the everyman, at first wanting to protect the public before realizing that Iron Man's program compromises everything that he's fought for over the years.
Chock-full of superhero cameos, Civil War was THE Marvel event of the year when it debuted, with aftershocks felt throughout the publisher's titles for years to come. The ending may feel a bit forced, but it makes sense given Captain America's character while Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic's arrogance is now typical of their characters. Most importantly, both this story and Millar's run on The Ultimates influenced the tone and characterization of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which launched the following year. Now, Marvel Studios plans to base their thirteenth film, Captain America: Civil War on this series while Marvel Comics will release a follow-up to this comic, Civil War II, in 2016.
Those looking to enjoy large-scale superhero battles unlike those the movie's character limitations can provide or who want to enjoy the story itself before Marvel rehashes it should pick this up. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jan 4, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078512179X, Paperback)

The landscape of the Marvel Universe is changing, and it's time to choose: Whose side are you on? A conflict has been brewing from more than a year, threatening to pit friend against friend, brother against brother - and all it will take is a single misstep to cost thousands their lives and ignite the fuse! As the war claims its first victims, no one is safe as teams, friendships and families begin to fall apart. The crossover that rewrites the rules, Civil War stars Spider-Man, the New Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and the entirety of the Marvel pantheon! Collects Civil War #1-7, plus extras.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

"The Marvel universe is changing. In the wake of a tragedy, Capitol Hill proposes the Super Hero Registration Act, requiring all costumed heroes to unmask themselves before the government. Divided, the nation's greatest champions must each decide how to react -- a decision that will alter the course of their lives forever."--cover, p.4.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible