Civil War by Mark Millar
Member:BFoote
Title:Civil War
Authors:Mark Millar
Other authors:Steve McNiven (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2008), Hardcover, 512 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:One of my favourite marvel comics

Civil War by Mark Millar

The premise is that the superheroes split over a law that requires them to register and work for the government (if they want to continue operating as superheroes). The broad outlines of this work well, however I found the details less plausible and satisfying. Registering identities I can see, and makes sense; becoming government agents less so. The Stamford incident as spark felt reasonable, but the villainization of the New Warriors as evil felt off. Iron Man and Captain America being on the opposite sides from what I'd expect felt like a forced, obligatory twist, rather than a natural development (especially for Iron Man). And the unbridled evilness of the Neutral Zone prison camp, and the blithe acceptance, was quite unsatisfying. As was the ending, unfortunately. (Some of the discussions about law and morality felt truly hackneyed, yet entirely plausible. I find them incredibly stupid, but have heard them far too many times.)

In total though, I found the story fun and compelling. ( )
  teknognome | Nov 14, 2016 |
Really good. But it ended on such a bitter note. Curious to read all the tie-in comics for each character that didn't appear in the main arc! should be interesting ( )
  almoskwa92 | Nov 6, 2016 |
Super heroes choosing sides and fighting each other, yay! Lots of Captain America angst.

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Great artwork and a wonderfully complex topic with a great story line. The central issue of whether superheroes, those who have always been generally considered good guys, should be registered, trained and regulated by the government. Some of the Avengers (and eventually pretty much the whole Marvel universe) agree that this is a reasonable request while others call it fascism and a restriction of civil liberty. Interestingly this was published in 2007 but it with a few small changes the story line could fit into today's headlines. Iron Man sees the need to register superbeings while Captain America opposes it. I enjoyed everything about this book with the exception of one important point: I didn't like the ending. I felt like it was a bit abrupt and it left too much unresolved. ( )
  Al-G | Sep 9, 2016 |
I thought was a step up from the usual super hero saves the world from super villain story of most comics. They are really trying to get you to think with this one.
I do wish they would have shown Captain America's thought process and passion behind not wanting to register though. It didn't seem as explored as Iron Man's reasoning, which I felt was a miss.
Beautifully artistic and epic in comic book scale. An overall enjoyable read! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Aug 12, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078512179X, Paperback)

The landscape of the Marvel Universe is changing, and it's time to choose: Whose side are you on? A conflict has been brewing from more than a year, threatening to pit friend against friend, brother against brother - and all it will take is a single misstep to cost thousands their lives and ignite the fuse! As the war claims its first victims, no one is safe as teams, friendships and families begin to fall apart. The crossover that rewrites the rules, Civil War stars Spider-Man, the New Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men and the entirety of the Marvel pantheon! Collects Civil War #1-7, plus extras.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:28 -0400)

"The Marvel universe is changing. In the wake of a tragedy, Capitol Hill proposes the Super Hero Registration Act, requiring all costumed heroes to unmask themselves before the government. Divided, the nation's greatest champions must each decide how to react -- a decision that will alter the course of their lives forever."--cover, p.4.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,792,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible