The Last Odyssey: A Thriller (Sigma Force…

The Last Odyssey: A Thriller (Sigma Force Novels) (edition 2020)

by James Rollins (Author)

Series: Sigma Force (15)

To save the world and our future, Sigma Force must embark on a dangerous odyssey into an ancient past whose horrors are all too present in this page-turning thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author James Rollins that combines cutting-edge science, historical mystery, mythology, and pulse-pounding action. For eons, the city of Troy-whose legendary fall was detailed in Homer's Iliad-was believed to be myth, until archaeologists in the nineteenth century uncovered its ancient walls buried beneath the sands. If Troy was real, how much of Homer's twin tales of gods and monsters, curses and miracles-The Iliad and The Odyssey-could also be true and awaiting discovery? In the frozen tundra of Greenland, a group of modern-day climatologists and archaeologists stumble on a shocking find: a medieval ship buried a half mile below the ice. The ship's hold contains a collection of even older artifacts-tools of war-dating back to the Bronze Age. Inside the captain's cabin is a magnificent treasure that is as priceless as it is miraculous: a clockwork gold atlas encircled by an intricate silver astrolabe. The mechanism is signed with the name of its creator, Ismail al-Jazari, a famous Muslim inventor considered to be the Da Vinci of the Arab world-a brilliant scientist who inspired Leonardo's own work. Once activated, the moving globe traces the path of Odysseus' famous ship as it sailed away from Troy. But the route detours as the map opens to reveal an underground river leading to a hidden realm underneath the Mediterranean Sea. The map indicates that this subterranean world is called Tartarus, the Greek name for Hell. In mythology, Tartarus was where the wicked were punished and the monstrous Titans of old, imprisoned. When word of Tartarus spreads-and of the cache of miraculous weapons said to be hidden there-tensions explode in this volatile region where Turks battle Kurds, terrorists wage war, and civilians suffer untold horrors. The phantasmagoric horrors found in Homer's tales are all too real-and could be unleashed upon the world. Whoever possesses them can use their awesome power to control the future of humanity. Now, Sigma Force must go where humans fear to tread. To prevent a tyrant from igniting a global war, they must cross the very gates of Hell.… (more)
Member:scallorn
Title:The Last Odyssey: A Thriller (Sigma Force Novels)
Authors:James Rollins (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2020), Edition: Illustrated, 464 pages

The Last Odyssey by James Rollins

Recently added byMenloPark, nhlibrarian, BookHavenAZ, tarmina, damvj, private library, minifcar, Vinoverski, crttcr

mom (417)

As always James Rollins has provide us with an enjoyable adventure based upon history/legend and modern technology. In this instance our journey is the search for the route that Odesseus, and his companions, endured for 10 years, as they returned home from Troy.

The nightmares and horrors of the world Homer described that Odesseus confronted and overcame are all brought to life as we search for the ultimate horror. It is a life and death adventure to stop that those who wish to use this nightmare to destroy society and gain power over the world.

In many respects James Rollins stories have a very simple basic formula; a group has discovered something from the historic past that they can use to 'change' the world in a very nasty way and our protagonists are called upon to stop them. Hey, not an unusual concept. However, James Rollins does is oh so very good. His stories are well researched and so often bring obscure little known historic events or happenings to the forefront as the latest threat to humanity. To counter this are the members of Sigma Force a darpa quasi military force that serve to investigate and prevent highly secret nightmares from ever become true threats to society.

Rollins writing and story development is, as always, very solid and the writing moves the story along at a very good past. Seldom is the reader disappointed. The thrills are there at every turn and how they get out of seemingly impossible situations are usually very well thought out. Rollins is always creates a very enjoyable read and this one is no different. If you enjoy thrillers, especially those with a historic bent, you will enjoy this book.

I keep on thinking I need to read the Odessey again since I read it in high school. For me that was a long time ago and I do have a good modern translation. ( )
  can44okie | Aug 28, 2020 |
James Rollins is one of my favorite authors, and I love his Sigma Force series. This one didn't engage me as much as the rest of the series, but it was still good because Rollins is an excellent writer.

As with all of the books in the Sigma Force series, you have to suspend your disbelief and just lose yourself in the story. I usually have no problem with this, but with "The Last Odyssey" it was just so outlandish that I had trouble going with the flow like I usually do. And because I had trouble keeping my disbelief suspended, I couldn't get completely absorbed into the story.

Most of the Sigma crew is back for this 15th book in the series: Gray, Seichan, Painter, Kowalski. However, Kat and Monk make only a blink-and-you'll-miss-them appearance near the beginning of the book, and that's it, which is too bad, because I really like those two characters. Nonetheless, the rest of the Sigma crew are in fine form with important roles throughout the book. Kowalski features quite prominently in this book, and I've always had a soft spot for him because he is so different from the others, so I really enjoyed seeing so much of him.

I can't imagine what Rollins is going to put the Sigma team through for book #16, but I can't wait to find out! ( )
  niaomiya | Aug 11, 2020 |
James Rollins has another winning entry in his popular Sigma Force series. This time the adventure starts in an ice cave deep in a melting glacier in Greenland where an ancient Arabian ship is discovered. It may contain the secret key to unlock the legendary tales first recounted by Homer in the Iliad and Odyssey. As members of Sigma Force are called in to help with the new discovery, they find to their dismay they are not the only ones aware of this valuable find. Ambushed by members of an unknown counter-force, Sigma must play catch up as the trail leads to the Mediterranean and the sites visited by Homer’s hero, Odysseus. This rip snorting adventure will lead the team to the legendary Greek Tartarus, the gates of hell. Fast paced. Keeps you guessing. Doesn’t disappoint. ( )
  Ronrose1 | May 29, 2020 |
Another great Rollins book in his Sigma Force series. Following Odysseus’s steps, the gang tries to find the entrance to hell before the bad guys do, who hope to start an apocalypse. The beginning of the book about an ancient ship trapped in Arctic ice was heart-pounding. However, I felt like the bad guys never really had an idea of what they were looking for, or else they’d have been better prepared. So not his best, but thrilling nonetheless. ( )
  KarenMonsen | May 16, 2020 |
Sigma Force is back for their 15th adventure, and it’s just as jam packed as the others. You’ve got history, mystery, science, and action all rolled into one. This is the thinking person’s popcorn novel if that makes any sense.

Free review copy. ( )
  mrmapcase | Apr 26, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,435,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible