Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas

Tallgrass

by Sandra Dallas

This would make a really good book club book. It’s a fascinating look at the Internment camps, actually more of a look on the people in the towns and how they felt about it; it was nice to find out that some didn't want the camps and that these people should be released because they were American citizens. It’s a sad chapter in the US History but something that we need to look at so it doesn’t happen again especially in this day and age.

I enjoyed the characters in this book especially Rennie and her family, she was lucky to have great parents who objected to the camps, even when their own son was off at war. This book is also a bit of a coming of age story for Rennie. There is also a mystery added in and I’m sure you can guess who is blamed for the crime.

This was my first book by this author but it won’t be my last I really enjoyed her writing style and thought she was a very good storyteller.

Lorelei King’s narration was as always spot on, everyone had their own voice and it was easy to differentiate between all the characters.

4 ½ Stars ( )
  susiesharp | May 28, 2015 |
TALLGRASS, by Sandra Dallas.
I found this book at a used book sale and got it because I have enjoyed other books, both fiction and memoir, about how Japanese-Americans were relocated to internment centers following the attack on Pearl Harbor. Two very good books on this subject are FAREWELL TO MANZANAR and HEART MOUNTAIN. This book, about a Colorado internment center, and the Stroud family, whose farm was adjacent to the camp, seemed geared to a YA audience. The narrator is thirteen year-old Rennie Stroud, who has a lot on her plate, with a beloved older brother a prisoner in a German POW camp, an absent older sister, and a mother with a heart condition. After Rennie herself, the strongest character here is, hands, down her father, Loyal Stroud, who will undoubtedly make you think of Atticus Finch in his understated wisdom and bravery in the face of widespread hatred and prejudice displayed by the townspeople toward their new Japanese 'neighbors.' There is an unsolved rape and murder of a young girl from another farm which should add more tension and forward momentum to the story than it does. But in fact the story tends to lumber, often weighted down by 'homey' not necessarily pertinent details about farming and small-town life. I grew impatient with the story about halfway in, and might not have finished it at all, except I wanted to know who the murderer was. And the answer to that seemed a bit too neat and tacked on. Maybe I was just a little too old for this book. I suspect young teenage girls might find it more to their liking, as there is plenty here about making that difficult transition from childhood to young womanhood; and it also offers a soft-lensed introduction to one of the more shameful chapters in U.S. history. Recommended for that audience, say ages 12-16. ( )
  TimBazzett | Apr 10, 2015 |
The novel, Tallgrass, opened my eyes to a space and time I did not know existed. I knew internment camps were utilized in Germany during WW II but I did was not aware of the conflict in the United States. I loved the way the author told the story from her point of view rather than the victim. ( )
  RustyWatson | Jun 29, 2014 |
I have enjoyed everything that I've read by Sandra Dallas and this was no exception! A good book! ( )
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |
  CharlaOppenlander | Apr 4, 2014 |

Sandra Dallasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lloyd Athearn and
In memory of Forrest Dallas (1903-1973)
Two awful good men
The summer I was thirteen, the Japanese came to Ellis.
ISBN 0805039414 is for In the Tall, Tall Grass by Denise Fleming

During Word War II, a family fnds life turned upside down when the government opens a Japanese internment camp in their small Colorado town. After a young girl is murdered, all eyes (and suspicions) turn to the newcomers, the interlopers, the strangers.

Part thriller, part historical novel, Tallgrass is a riveting exploration of the darkest---and best---parts of the human heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

"During World War II, a family finds life turned upside down when the government opens a Japanese internment camp in their small Colorado town. After a young girl is murdered, all eyes (and suspicions) turn to the newcomers, the interlopers, the strangers." "This is her town as Rennie Stroud has never seen it before. She has just turned thirteen and, until this time, life has pretty much been what her father told her it should be: predictable and fair. But now the winds of change are coming and, with them, a shift in her perspective. And Rennie will discover secrets that can destroy even the most sacred things."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,104,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible