Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas

Tallgrass

by Sandra Dallas

Lovely, engrossing, and full of both the kind of characters you want to personally kill and the kind whose families you want to move in with.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
A very nice novel about a family living outside a Japanese internment camp in WWII Colorado.They are the family in town that can see the Japanese-Americans for what they are, Americans, and treat them accordingly, which is not always the easiest path, but eventually many in town learn to follow their example. The problems of course all come from within the town itself, and they are problems that even today you wouldn't want the 13 year old heroine of the novel to have to confront. The characters and the dialogue are top notch. I especially enjoyed the father, whose words were few but always well chosen, and his relationship with his wife. Really nice read. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Interesting story about the Japanese internment camps and how the Japanese were perceived. Can't say I thought it was tremendously well written, felt like it was dumbed down a little bit and somewhat predictable. I listened to this book on audio and it passed the time during my drive well, though, kept me listening to the end. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is a good book, but not her best. I was disappointed to see so many parallels with "To Kill a Mockingbird." ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 28, 2016 |
This would make a really good book club book. It’s a fascinating look at the Internment camps, actually more of a look on the people in the towns and how they felt about it; it was nice to find out that some didn't want the camps and that these people should be released because they were American citizens. It’s a sad chapter in the US History but something that we need to look at so it doesn’t happen again especially in this day and age.

I enjoyed the characters in this book especially Rennie and her family, she was lucky to have great parents who objected to the camps, even when their own son was off at war. This book is also a bit of a coming of age story for Rennie. There is also a mystery added in and I’m sure you can guess who is blamed for the crime.

This was my first book by this author but it won’t be my last I really enjoyed her writing style and thought she was a very good storyteller.

Lorelei King’s narration was as always spot on, everyone had their own voice and it was easy to differentiate between all the characters.

4 ½ Stars ( )
  susiesharp | May 28, 2015 |

Sandra Dallasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lloyd Athearn and
In memory of Forrest Dallas (1903-1973)
Two awful good men
The summer I was thirteen, the Japanese came to Ellis.
ISBN 0805039414 is for In the Tall, Tall Grass by Denise Fleming

During Word War II, a family fnds life turned upside down when the government opens a Japanese internment camp in their small Colorado town. After a young girl is murdered, all eyes (and suspicions) turn to the newcomers, the interlopers, the strangers.

Part thriller, part historical novel, Tallgrass is a riveting exploration of the darkest---and best---parts of the human heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

"During World War II, a family finds life turned upside down when the government opens a Japanese internment camp in their small Colorado town. After a young girl is murdered, all eyes (and suspicions) turn to the newcomers, the interlopers, the strangers." "This is her town as Rennie Stroud has never seen it before. She has just turned thirteen and, until this time, life has pretty much been what her father told her it should be: predictable and fair. But now the winds of change are coming and, with them, a shift in her perspective. And Rennie will discover secrets that can destroy even the most sacred things."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

54 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,188,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible