Deep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Downing…

Deep and Dark and Dangerous

by Mary Downing Hahn

English (50)  Catalan (1)  All languages (51)
A very spooky read. I enjoyed this book a lot! ( )
  aperry71 | Jun 11, 2015 |
Ali is up in the attic one day looking through old books when she finds an old photo of her mom and Aunt Dulcie. But there is a tear on the side , a girl has been torn out of the picture. Ali looks on the back hoping for a name but all there is , is a T. ALI decides to ask her mom , but she acts as though she does not know what she is talking about . Determined to find out who the girl is she decides to ask Dulcie when she comes to visit. But the same thing happens Dulcie appears to have no memory of her. Dulcie also brings news. For summer she is going to Gull Cottage, the familys cabin on a lake , where ali finds out , the photo was taken. Ali goes along with her to be the babysitter for emma , Dulcies daughter. Ali likes living out on the lake till Sissy arrives. When Sissy arrives Emma immediantly wants to be her friend. Emma stops at nothing to try and get Sissy to like her. Sissy though Is not cut out to be a friend , she is mean , bossy , and spiteful. Ali notices that Emma is acting more and more like Sissy. Ali doesn't know what to do. Until she finds out some shocking news. Sissy is not who she says she is. Ali finds out that Sissy is the ghost of Teresa. A girl who drowned at the lake years ago , because of her mom and Dulcie. Ali though finds a way to make it right. Her mom and Dulcie come clean and finally Teresa can rest peacefully.

Deep and dark and dangerous by , Mary Downing Hahn is in my opinion a great book. I was so engrossed in this book that I did not put it down for a second. I read it entirely in one sitting. I gave this book a 5 star rating because it deserved it. Mary did a fantastic job of writing this story. This book is like a puzzle. Slowly the pieces come together. Even though halfway through I suspected Sissy was Teresa I still loved it. I highly recommend this book to those of you who like a good Ghost story. ( )
  sierraF.B1 | Jan 13, 2015 |
Two sisters witness the death of a friend. Years later the two daughters of these sisters are confronted by the ghost of the child who died. ( )
  AbundaBookworms | Feb 15, 2014 |
A good middle grade ghost story, with a bit of a moral to the story. There were times I felt like the mom/aunt in this book should have taken a step back and listened instead of jumping down Ali’s throat, and just believing her bratty little 4 year old who annoyed me to no end. However, I think that may be what kids will like about the book especially if they have younger siblings that drive them crazy.

I don’t really know what else to say about this book it was predictable to me but might not be for a middle grade reader. I read this to see if it would be a good book to add to our library’s collection and I liked to well enough and thought the kids would find it spookier than I did so, yes I will be buying this book for our middle grade collection.

Narrator Rachel Dulude did a good job, but I wonder if she made Sissy a little too snotty especially in the end, I felt she should have toned it down a bit.

3 stars ( )
  susiesharp | Nov 1, 2013 |
wasnt that scary ( )
  Diavoletto | Jun 12, 2013 |
Gr 4-7–Thirteen-year-old Ali is excited to be spending the summer with her Aunt Dulcie, an artist, and her four-year-old cousin, Emma, in the Maine lakeside cottage where her aunt and mother spent their childhood summers. But why is Ali's mother so terrified to let her go? Why did the sisters' annual sojourns there stop so abruptly 30 years earlier? And what is the meaning of Ali's recurring dream in which, while walking along the shore of Sycamore Lake, she meets a young girl who points to three girls in a canoe and admonishes, you must do something about this? Ali soon discovers that Teresa, her mother's and aunt's playmate, had disappeared and was presumed drowned when their grandfather's empty canoe washed up on shore. When a strange girl calling herself Sissy shows up at the cottage and lures Emma into defiant and dangerous behavior, Ali finally realizes who she is. Hahn weaves into the story some classic mystery elements such as a torn photograph, a waterlogged doll, dense fog, and an empty grave, all of which add to the suspense and keep the well-plotted story moving along to a satisfying conclusion.–Marie Orlando, Suffolk Cooperative Library System, Bellport, NY
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Marie Orlando
One rainy Sunday in March. I opened a box of books Mom had brought home from Grandmother's house. Although Grandmother had been dead for five years, no one had unpacked any of the boxes.

This book is about a girl named ali who goes to an old camp with her aunt a cousin. While they are their they discover secrets of the lake. It turns out Ali's aunt was 8 years old and they new a girll named sissy and one day sissy drowned in that lake. Sissy later on in the book comes and attacks Ali's little cousin and tries to drown her too. Read the book to find out what happens.

A chilling supernatural tale!

Just before summer begins, thirteen-year-old Ali finds an old photograph. She recognizes the two children. One’s her mother, the other her aunt Dulcie…but who is the third person, the one who’s been torn out of the picture? Ali will have all summer to figure it out, since she’s spending the summer with her aunt and her cousin in the same house her mom and aunt used to visit when they were kids.

Then Ali meets Sissy. Sissy is mean, spiteful, and determined to ruin Ali’s summer. Sissy also has a secret. Could it have something to do with the old photo? Ali is dying to find out, and if she’s not careful, that’s exactly what might happen to her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:37 -0400)

When thirteen-year-old Ali spends the summer with her aunt and cousin at the family's vacation home, she stumbles upon a secret that her mother and aunt have been hiding for over thirty years.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible