Lawn Boy by Gary Paulsen

good quick read. fun story. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
With great success comes great responsibility. Lawn Boy is a book about a 12 year old boy who gets an old lawn mower from his grandma. At first he mowed a couple lawns to make a little money, but as the summer goes on more peoples' lawns need to be mowed and he can't do it all with one lawn mower. Plus he already has more money than he knows what to do with. After he mowed this person named Arnold's lawn Arnold offered to take his money and invest it. He invests it in stocks and the profit is huge. He also invests it into one other thing which comes in handy towards the end of the book.
I didn't really hate this book, but I didn't love it. It was a pallet cleanser book. Meaning it was a quick easy read that I chose to read only because I needed a break from reading the big complicated books. It wasn't at my reading level. If your looking for a fast easy book to read or if you're in elementary school I would recommend this one to you. Overall I would give this book a rating between 2 1/2 and 3. ( )
  br14sabi | Nov 22, 2013 |
A short book - less than 2 hours - this one had us laughing aloud. Told in the first person, the narrator receives a used riding lawn mower for his birthday at the beginning of the summer. What starts as a way to earn some extra money during vacation quickly snowballs into a hilarious romp with hit men, prize fighters and stock brokers. Very funny and perfect for a road trip! ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
When his grandmother gives him an old riding lawnmower for his birthday, the narrator-- known to the reader only as Lawnboy-- soon finds himself the boss of a lawn care business that grows faster than he ever could imagine.

This plot-focused book is a quick read, with very little time spent on character development. While it might not contribute to much discussion in an English class, the basics of economics are well-integrated into the story, making it a good resource for an elementary introduction to the subject. There is little conflict in the story, making it a good choice for young readers who dislike tension. However, the lack of any negative consequences for somewhat questionable actions give the book an uneven feel.

Recommended for use as an economic education resource, but not as a novel. ( )
  ejmeloche | Dec 1, 2012 |
Summary: Lawn Boy is the story of a young boy who receives an old riding lawn mower for his 12th birthday from his grandmother. He is trying out the lawn mower on his own lawn when one of his neighbors sees him mowing and asks him if he could mow his lawn. Another neighbor sees the boy mowing a lawn and asks him to mow his lawn, and one neighbor leads to another and another where the boy is mowing lawns and earning money. Before long he has more than he can handle and Arnold steps into the picture. Arnold knows of a man who would be willing to help. As the business blossoms, he has to get more help, and before long has 15 people working for him. Arnold is handling all the financials of the business and invests some of the money in stocks. Before long the boy’s investments are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. He also finds himself the sponsor of a professional boxer, who ends up being able to keep the bullies away.

Personal reaction: Several years ago GaryPaulsen was a luncheon speaker at the Oklahoma Library Association Annual Conference. Lawn Boy had been selected as the Children’s Sequoyah winner. I have wanted to read this book ever since, and very much enjoyed reading the adventures the boy goes through. He was looking for ways to get a little money so he could get an inner tube for his bicycle and ends up with more money that he knows what to do with.

Classroom extension: 1. I would use this book in a lesson about economics. The students could do a project about what they could do to earn money. 2. This book could also be used in a lesson about finance and stocks. The student could look at the stock market and determine which stocks might be good investments or bad investments. ( )
  jojamo | Oct 22, 2012 |

One day I was 12 years old and broke. Then Grandma gave me Grandpa's old riding lawnmower. I set out to mow some lawns. More people wanted me to mow their lawns. And more and more. . . . One client was Arnold the stockbroker, who offered to teach me about "the beauty of capitalism. Supply and Demand. Diversify labor. Distribute the wealth." "Wealth?" I said. "It's groovy, man," said Arnold.

If I'd known what was coming, I might have climbed on my mower and putted all the way home to hide in my room. But the lawn business grew and grew. So did my profits, which Arnold invested in many things. And one of them was Joey Pow the prizefighter. That's when my 12th summer got really interesting.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:08 -0400)

Things get out of hand for a twelve-year-old boy when a neighbor convinces him to expand his summer lawn mowing business.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible