Lawn Boy by Gary Paulsen
1,219486,459 (3.8)9

LauraNelson | Jul 31, 2015 |
Realistic Fiction Chapter Book
Reading Level: 4.3

A twelve year old boy starts mowing grass in the summer, and once his business starts booming he meets a man that teaches him about supply and demand. Eventually the reader learns how one summer changed his life with his new knowledge and understanding of money.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
This story is about the entrepreneurship and he is given a mower for his 12th birthday. He creates a business around his mower.
Coming of age for boys

4-7 ( )
  hatease | Dec 1, 2014 |
good quick read. fun story. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
With great success comes great responsibility. Lawn Boy is a book about a 12 year old boy who gets an old lawn mower from his grandma. At first he mowed a couple lawns to make a little money, but as the summer goes on more peoples' lawns need to be mowed and he can't do it all with one lawn mower. Plus he already has more money than he knows what to do with. After he mowed this person named Arnold's lawn Arnold offered to take his money and invest it. He invests it in stocks and the profit is huge. He also invests it into one other thing which comes in handy towards the end of the book.
I didn't really hate this book, but I didn't love it. It was a pallet cleanser book. Meaning it was a quick easy read that I chose to read only because I needed a break from reading the big complicated books. It wasn't at my reading level. If your looking for a fast easy book to read or if you're in elementary school I would recommend this one to you. Overall I would give this book a rating between 2 1/2 and 3. ( )
  br14sabi | Nov 22, 2013 |

One day I was 12 years old and broke. Then Grandma gave me Grandpa's old riding lawnmower. I set out to mow some lawns. More people wanted me to mow their lawns. And more and more. . . . One client was Arnold the stockbroker, who offered to teach me about "the beauty of capitalism. Supply and Demand. Diversify labor. Distribute the wealth." "Wealth?" I said. "It's groovy, man," said Arnold.

If I'd known what was coming, I might have climbed on my mower and putted all the way home to hide in my room. But the lawn business grew and grew. So did my profits, which Arnold invested in many things. And one of them was Joey Pow the prizefighter. That's when my 12th summer got really interesting.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

Things get out of hand for a twelve-year-old boy when a neighbor convinces him to expand his summer lawn mowing business.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,803,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible