Lawn Boy by Gary Paulsen

The first line of this book really got my attention: "It all began at nine in the morning on my twelfth birthday when my grandmother gave me an old riding lawn mower." That was the most interesting part.

I like the first person perspective. It's done very well and sounds enough like a kid that readers could relate. My main problem is that some of the monetary details go pretty far before he says he was confused. My brain turned to snooze when this was going on. The most surprising part is what Lawn Boy does, actually doesn't do, when he has the sudden rush of cash.

Also the action is kind of like a Disney movie. There's just enough danger or interest to get you to think something big(ger) is about to happen, but before you have a chance to really enjoy it a resolution is found.

Overall it was a short, enjoyable book. I'm used to longer novels, and this is perhaps why I feel on the fence about this book. There is a sequel, Lawn Boy Returns, so perhaps that will satiate my desire for more story. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Don't let the chapter titles scare off the kids! (Sample: Capital Growth Coupled with the Principles of Production Expansion.) It's a great farce about a boy who ends up making serious money hand over fist just mowing lawns. Well, maybe not just mowing lawns. That's where the fun comes in. Kids interested in making a few extra dollars will enjoy the boy's roller coaster ride to riches. Booktalk: Happy Birthday! And look what grandma got you: a riding lawn mower. What the heck are you going to do with a riding lawn mower? Mow the lawn of course! You try it out on your parents’ lawn. It doesn’t look perfect but it doesn’t look bad either. Your neighbor sees you mowing the lawn and he offers you $20 to mow his lawn. Well, sure, why not. You need a new inner tube for your bicycle and you could use the money. Then another neighbor wants to hire you to mow his lawn and then another neighbor and another and another and you’re mowing lawns everyday and next thing you know…a couple of weeks later you’ve somehow managed—you don’t know how—but you’ve somehow managed to earn $8,000. And not only that: you now have people working for you. And you now have a stockbroker. And you’re now sponsoring an amateur boxer. And your parents don’t even know about any of this! The whole situation has gone wild-crazy and out of control and if you knew what was about to go down next you probably never would have decided to take a job as a simple LAWN BOY. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is very different from what we've all come to expect from a Gary Paulsen book. I like that he's dipped his quill into some different ink. The book is very short which fit the bill for me the day I sat to read it. It's a decent blend of humor, quick pacing, and understanding how to make your investments grow. Good book for boys who may not be the most enthusiastic readers. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
COLLEAGUE SHARE
MONEY
  LauraNelson | Jul 31, 2015 |
Realistic Fiction Chapter Book
Reading Level: 4.3

Summary:
A twelve year old boy starts mowing grass in the summer, and once his business starts booming he meets a man that teaches him about supply and demand. Eventually the reader learns how one summer changed his life with his new knowledge and understanding of money.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |

One day I was 12 years old and broke. Then Grandma gave me Grandpa's old riding lawnmower. I set out to mow some lawns. More people wanted me to mow their lawns. And more and more. . . . One client was Arnold the stockbroker, who offered to teach me about "the beauty of capitalism. Supply and Demand. Diversify labor. Distribute the wealth." "Wealth?" I said. "It's groovy, man," said Arnold.

If I'd known what was coming, I might have climbed on my mower and putted all the way home to hide in my room. But the lawn business grew and grew. So did my profits, which Arnold invested in many things. And one of them was Joey Pow the prizefighter. That's when my 12th summer got really interesting.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

Things get out of hand for a twelve-year-old boy when a neighbor convinces him to expand his summer lawn mowing business.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,775,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible