The Alchemyst by Michael Scott

The Alchemyst (2007)

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (1)

Recently added bycalumoth, arena55, private library, bolt, mom2kydds, autopilot, Ms.Nicole, BregelLibraries

English (159)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (166)
Read for Fantasy or Science Fiction Novel Assignment
  hbcoates | Dec 2, 2014 |
Loved, loved, loved these!
This is the way I started my summer this year. My old favorites - YA fantasy! And these did not disappoint. Well, actually they did only because there is one more book in the series due out next year. A whole year!!!

Anyway, I am ahead of myself. For those of you who are Harry Potter fans - in the first Harry Potter book the Sorcerer's Stone is owned and hidden by Nicholas Flamel. A man who was an alchemyst and discovered the secret of immortality via the stone. At least that was the story in Harry's world. Well, it turns out there was a real alchemyst named Nicholas Flamel. He really lived! Is that cool or what. This is how he is described on Michael Scott's official website Michael Scott

Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel both existed. Nicholas was
born in France in 1330, and not only do his diaries and writings
exist, his house at 51 rue de Montmorency still stands in
Paris today.

In his diaries he writes extensively about discovering the
Book of Abraham, and his long quest to translate it. He claims
he discovered the secret of the Philosopher’s Stone – how
to turn base metal into gold – and also the secret of eternal
life.

From being a poor bookseller, he became extraordinarily
wealthy and founded schools, churches and hospitals in Paris.
In recognition for his charitable works, there are two
streets named after him and Perenelle.

He lived simply and when he died in 1418, his tomb was broken
into by thieves looking for his vast wealth.

His tomb – and that of Perenelle – were both
empty.

In the centuries that followed, there were several sightings
of Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel across Europe.

I think that is my very favorite part of this whole series. It started with a real person. Then Scott does a Percy Jackson thing and uses real characters and mythological beasts.

So - let me start at the beginning. The story if of twins - Josh and Sophie. Josh works in a bookstore for the summer and Sophie works across the street in a coffee shop as their archeologist parents are away on a dig. One morning Sophie watches a car pull up in front of the store and has a bad feeling...the evil Dr. John Dee - attacks the bookshop to steal the Book Of Abraham which provides immortality to Flamel and his wife Perenelle. Josh is able to rip out the last few pages of the book before Pernelle is kidnapped along with the book.

That is the beginning. From here Sophie and Josh witness the downfall of ancient worlds and legendary leaders as Dee tries to return the world to the Elders. Through the process Sophie buys into the flawed process of saving the world that the Flamels have embarked on via a bit of a prophesy- rescuing twins and giving them ultimate power to defeat the Elders only to have them die in the process. But, Josh questions the real motives of the Flamels and eventually sides with Dee.

There are many twists and turns and the fate of the world rests on the understandings and decisions of a pair of teenagers. But, I really liked them. I especially liked Pernelle - an amazing sorceress and an equally wise woman. The love between Pernelle and Nicholas is so sweet - made even sweeter because the lack of the Book of Abraham is causing their accelerated death. The death of an immortal is not an easy thing!

I can't wait for the final book! And I do have to wait - until next summer! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
Do you like action packed thrillers that pull you in and keep you reading to the very last page? Or high profile fantasy books that seamlessly weave together mythological elements? Well, don't look here. The Alchemist, by Michael Scott, clumsily tries to create a world that incorporates myths from many different ancient cultures. Most of the novel seemed dedicated to world-building, without a clear plot. At about 100-150 pages in, there seems to be no sign of an actual conflict besides the fact that the Flamels have lost their Codex, which has nothing to do with Sophie and Josh, the two main characters. Seemingly, the Flamels try to shroud their intentions in secrecy and keep Sophie and Josh in the dark, making all events seem almost pointless. The plot moved along at such a slow pace that I dropped it when I got about 150-175 pages in. Don't waste your time with this book. ( )
  degrbr14 | Oct 14, 2014 |
This book is certainly not up to Harry Potter standards, but it is enjoyable. Some of the magical ideas are a bit weird (like having every ancient myth actually be based on an "elder race" of beings, some of whom still exist). ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
So now that I have finished the series I feel it is better to review the series. I hate starting a series with a great book but then it all goes downhill from there. I want to know if the series is worth reading. Never fear, no spoilers in here. I enjoyed the first few books and found the characters to be well developed and likeable. There were a few books in the middle of the series that were less than stellar. They were not horrible but sometimes the books mid story can get a bit slow and these did. The author did a nice job ending the series though. The final books are surprising and fast paced. I enjoyed this series and would recommend it to fantasy/mythology lovers from preteen through adult. ( )
  goth_marionette | Sep 21, 2014 |
The immortal Michael Scott, John Dee and the dark elders have been fighting for a long time for the most magical book ever created. The book of Abraham the mage or the codex. If john Dee and the dark elders has the book in their hands it would be chaos. Josh and Sophie Newman are the twins from the prophecy so that means that they are the saviors of the earth. Josh's aura is pure gold and Sophie's aura is pure silver. while josh and Sophie had gone to hekates shadow realm to be awakened (to use power from your auras). Sophie and josh had to be awakened so Sophie had gone first and as the ending of Sophie's awakening john Dee had started war in hekates shadow realm. hekate had created her shadow realm so her shadow realm was destroyed so she was destroyed with it. hekate had gone too protect her realm without awakening josh and through out the book josh was mad at Nicholas flamel because Sophie's senses were hurting her. After hekates shadow realm got destroyed they went to scatty's, mother the witch of Ojai. john Dee almost gets josh to go on the side with the dark elders but Sophie had convinced him not too. they had teleported to Paris through a leygate to find someone to train Sophie and hopefully awaken josh.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiah times, isaiahlb.4 (May 1, 2014)

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een magisch boek wordt gestolen. De twee die één zijn zullen de wereld redden....of vernietigen
For Claudette, of course
iamque opus exegi
I am legend.
I want you to remember that everything you know—or think you know—about myth and legend is not necessarily false, nor is it entirely true. At the heart of every legend there is a grain of truth. I suspect that much of your knowledge comes from movies and TV. Xena and Dracula have a lot to answer for. All minotaurs are not evil, the Gorgon Medusa did not turn every man to stone, not all vampires are blood drinkers, the Were clans are a proud and ancient race.

He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

Sometimes legends are true.

And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:20 -0400)

While working at pleasant but mundane summer jobs in San Francisco, fifteen-year-old twins, Sophie and Josh, suddenly find themselves caught up in the deadly, centuries-old struggle between rival alchemists, Nicholas Flamel and John Dee, over the possession of an ancient and powerful book holding the secret formulas for alchemy and everlasting life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible