Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal…

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (2010)

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (1)

English (202)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (209)
Rereading this series because I never read the last two books when they were published. I still really enjoyed this book. I love the mix of history and myth. ( )
  BrilliantGlow | Feb 12, 2019 |
Grappig boek.

-- later meer --
  EdwinKort | Nov 6, 2018 |
Een boek die me eventjes uit de put trok. Eventjes wat glimlachen over de tweeling Josh en Sophie.

Josh en Sophie werken allebei gedurende de zomervakantie. Josh bij een boekwinkel, Sophie bij de er tegenoverliggende koffiewinkel. Bij toeval ontdekt ze dat er iets aan de hand is bij de boekwinkel. Het begin van een gevaarlijk avontuur.

Ik heb genoten van het verhaal, maar door de vele historische gebeurtenissen en personen werd het allemaal een beetje te veel. Ik snap wel wat de auteur wou doen, Nicholas Flamel was een echt bestaand personage, die naar verluidt het geheim van de onsterfelijkheid heeft ontdekt. Maar het toevoegen van allerlei personen en gebeurtenissen die hij is tegengekomen is iets te veel van het goede.

Ach ja.. Laten we niet vergeten dat dit een boekenserie is gericht op Young Adults, hoewel ik de leeftijdsclassificatie van 15 wel erg aan de hoge kant vind. Zo eerder zeggen 12 (Laatste klas basis-school, of brugklas). ( )
  EdwinKort | Nov 6, 2018 |
Not the first time I’ve read this book, and certainly not the last, I’m reminded just how wonderfully Michael Scott weaves history and mythology together. He spins arcane legends like Atlantis and the gods of Egypt and Greece into everyday fare I can’t help but feast on. Centered around a set of prophesied teenage twins in the early years of the twenty first century, this story stretches out over the course of three days and turns their once blissfully peaceful life upside down while thrusting Josh and Sophie Newman into a terrifying and lethal new world. The first of six splendid fictional stories that leave the reader open to consider the reality of magic and our ignorance of it, “The Alchemyst” is a must read for fans of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings seeking a book a little closer to home. ( )
  clanoneves | Jul 5, 2018 |
This is an awesome (violence-packed) series with the craziest mix of mythological characters from all over the world and from all over history. It was one of those reads where I'd race to the store for the next book in the series, which were fortunately all published when I read the series. ( )
  KarenMonsen | Jun 24, 2018 |
The immortal Michael Scott, John Dee and the dark elders have been fighting for a long time for the most magical book ever created. The book of Abraham the mage or the codex. If john Dee and the dark elders has the book in their hands it would be chaos. Josh and Sophie Newman are the twins from the prophecy so that means that they are the saviors of the earth. Josh's aura is pure gold and Sophie's aura is pure silver. while josh and Sophie had gone to hekates shadow realm to be awakened (to use power from your auras). Sophie and josh had to be awakened so Sophie had gone first and as the ending of Sophie's awakening john Dee had started war in hekates shadow realm. hekate had created her shadow realm so her shadow realm was destroyed so she was destroyed with it. hekate had gone too protect her realm without awakening josh and through out the book josh was mad at Nicholas flamel because Sophie's senses were hurting her. After hekates shadow realm got destroyed they went to scatty's, mother the witch of Ojai. john Dee almost gets josh to go on the side with the dark elders but Sophie had convinced him not too. they had teleported to Paris through a leygate to find someone to train Sophie and hopefully awaken josh.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiah times, isaiahlb.4 (May 1, 2014)

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Claudette, of course
iamque opus exegi
I am legend.
I want you to remember that everything you know—or think you know—about myth and legend is not necessarily false, nor is it entirely true. At the heart of every legend there is a grain of truth. I suspect that much of your knowledge comes from movies and TV. Xena and Dracula have a lot to answer for. All minotaurs are not evil, the Gorgon Medusa did not turn every man to stone, not all vampires are blood drinkers, the Were clans are a proud and ancient race.

He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

Sometimes legends are true.

And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

While working at pleasant but mundane summer jobs in San Francisco, fifteen-year-old twins, Sophie and Josh, suddenly find themselves caught up in the deadly, centuries-old struggle between rival alchemists, Nicholas Flamel and John Dee, over the possession of an ancient and powerful book holding the secret formulas for alchemy and everlasting life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,528,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible