The Alchemyst by Michael Scott

The Alchemyst (2007)

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (1)

3,9591921,296 (3.8)163

English (181)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (188)
I really enjoyed this book. May be the best book I have read this spring.
  7th_Grade | May 16, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. May be the best book I have read this spring.
  7th_Grade | May 16, 2016 |
This may be the best book I have read this spring.

My Tags (edit/add)fantasy, thriller, magic

members (242) | reviews (21) | tags (33) | groups (5)

I've readI'm readingI plan to readOwnWish listFavorites Skip to Account Bar (Sign In/Out)
Skip to Navigation
Friends My Friends (0)
People Search
Find Friends
The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
by Michael Scott (change cover)
My Review (edit)Current Rating: 0/5 Starsremove12345“I really enjoyed this book. May be the best book I have read this spring.
Fifteen year old twins get caught up in an action packed adventure to save the world from evil. They are caught up in a feud between an immortal alchemist, Nicholas Flamel and one of Flamel's former students, John Dee, who wants to destroy the world. This action packed book is loaded with ancient myths and legends including the terrifying Scottish crow-goddess, the Morrigan; the three-faced Greek Hekate; the powerful Egyptian cat-goddess, Bastet; and Scathach, a legendary Irish woman warrior. I promise all the fantasy readers a great read! ” ( )
  8th_Grade | May 16, 2016 |
Nicholas Flamel is an alchemyst. His wife Perenelle is a sorceress. Together they protect a book called the Codex which has numerous ancient spells and secrets of the past worlds and people. Sophie and Josh are twins. Josh works for Nick Fleming (Nicholas Flamel) at his book shop. Sophie works across the street at a coffee house. Sophie is working one afternoon when she sees strange looking men enter the book shop. Josh and Sophie are thrust into a magical world that they never knew existed. They are believed to be part of the prophecy that is mentioned in the Codex. Nicholas Flamel must awaken their powers and train them to fight his nemesis Dr. John Dee and the dark elders. Dee works for the dark elders that want to take over the world. This story is full of action and interesting background for the following books, I think. I would have liked to have seen more character development. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
Certainly not the best book on the shelf. It seems like a random action movie in book form. However, the one saving characteristic is that unlike most action movies, there is a story behind this. Two twins stumble upon the greatest alchemist of all times, Nicholas Flamel. Because of his appearance in Harry Potter, this book really sparked my interest. Not only is he in Harry Potter, but I learned that he was an actual person who sought to create the philosopher's stone. Basing most of the characters off of mythology and history, this book was really interesting in teaching both mythology and history in a unique and interesting way. This is what Percy Jackson should have been if it were written by someone who was creative and could create his own story. It explores the influence of the past on modern cultures and "myths". The two main characters are kind of useless and are really just spectators which can be annoying, but at the same time one can easily place themselves in their shoes. Unlike the protagonist of most stories who has no training and just falls into a situation and somehow does better than everyone else in it (Luke Skywalker, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter), these kids have no idea what is going on and it feels very realistic. If we were put in a similar situation we'd be confused too and probably not become amazing in two seconds. ( )
  DrPedro | Mar 28, 2016 |
The immortal Michael Scott, John Dee and the dark elders have been fighting for a long time for the most magical book ever created. The book of Abraham the mage or the codex. If john Dee and the dark elders has the book in their hands it would be chaos. Josh and Sophie Newman are the twins from the prophecy so that means that they are the saviors of the earth. Josh's aura is pure gold and Sophie's aura is pure silver. while josh and Sophie had gone to hekates shadow realm to be awakened (to use power from your auras). Sophie and josh had to be awakened so Sophie had gone first and as the ending of Sophie's awakening john Dee had started war in hekates shadow realm. hekate had created her shadow realm so her shadow realm was destroyed so she was destroyed with it. hekate had gone too protect her realm without awakening josh and through out the book josh was mad at Nicholas flamel because Sophie's senses were hurting her. After hekates shadow realm got destroyed they went to scatty's, mother the witch of Ojai. john Dee almost gets josh to go on the side with the dark elders but Sophie had convinced him not too. they had teleported to Paris through a leygate to find someone to train Sophie and hopefully awaken josh.
added by Isaiahl.b4 | editisaiah times, isaiahlb.4 (May 1, 2014)

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een magisch boek wordt gestolen. De twee die één zijn zullen de wereld redden....of vernietigen
For Claudette, of course
iamque opus exegi
I am legend.
I want you to remember that everything you know—or think you know—about myth and legend is not necessarily false, nor is it entirely true. At the heart of every legend there is a grain of truth. I suspect that much of your knowledge comes from movies and TV. Xena and Dracula have a lot to answer for. All minotaurs are not evil, the Gorgon Medusa did not turn every man to stone, not all vampires are blood drinkers, the Were clans are a proud and ancient race.

He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

Sometimes legends are true.

And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

While working at pleasant but mundane summer jobs in San Francisco, fifteen-year-old twins, Sophie and Josh, suddenly find themselves caught up in the deadly, centuries-old struggle between rival alchemists, Nicholas Flamel and John Dee, over the possession of an ancient and powerful book holding the secret formulas for alchemy and everlasting life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,786,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible