The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer

The Pursuit of God (original 1948; edition 2013)

by A. W. Tozer

Written during a train trip in the late 1940s, The Pursuit of God shows how God pursues humans to draw them into a relationship with Himself, while humans thirst after the things of God though they attempt to fill this thirst with things other than worship of their Creator. Tozer explores different aspects of this desire within the human heart, calling readers to examine what they believe and put aside preconceived ideas that disrupt this relationship with God. It is a solemn thing, he writes, to see Gods children starving while actually seated at the Fathers table. This book is a modest attempt to aid Gods hungry children so to find Him.… (more)
Member:Kirk1810
Title:The Pursuit of God
Authors:A. W. Tozer
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2013), Paperback, 76 pages
Collections:Christian Growth / Discipleship

The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer (1948)

During a train trip from Chicago to Texas in the late 1940s, A.W. Tozer began to write The Pursuit of God. He wrote all night, and when the train arrived at his destination, the rough draft was done. The depth of this book has made it an enduring favorite.
  gccl | Jul 8, 2019 |
This book draws you into a deeper relationship God and exposes the roadblocks that hinder us from knowing Him. ( )
  HCC_ResourceLibrary | Jan 3, 2019 |
I listened to the audio version narrated by Grover Gardner. There is an introduction that tells about A.W. Tozer. It seems he was a mystic and I gathered that from some of what he says in the book. He writes from a 1948 Christian awareness of how to speak about God. He speaks only of Christians and Christianity. I could imagine today that he might be more like Merton having a dialog with the Dalai Lama, but that is not what is to be found in this book. What I particularly liked was his emphasis on an experience of God and not a reliance on dogma, Bible, prayer, or ministry to others. He applauds those things, but he sees the basis of it all as an experience of God. He does not attempt to give us an idea of what his experience of God is. I got the impression that he leaves that to each person to find out and not just once, but to continually be open to that experience. It sounds like Tozer's environment was one of a society where almost everyone was a professed Christian. He is speaking to them and trying to draw them into actually experiencing more. His way into that seems to be to truly desire it. I don't remember a lot of dos and don'ts in the book. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
This book has impacted my life more than any other book I have ever read. The first time I read this book was in 1980. I was in my Senior year in college, and learning how to be both a disciple of Jesus and a disciple maker of others. I was yearning to know God more intimately, I had a strong love for His Word, and had a great desire to teach others how to study the Bible for themselves, how to grow to love and enjoy it, and how to allow God to develop a yearning for Him in their hearts.

And then along comes this little book. And the impact was astounding. One image will never leave my consciousness. And that is that there is a veil over my heart separating me from the Father just as sure as there was a veil separating mankind from the Holy of Holies in the Tabernacle and the Temple. Jesus' death caused the veil to rip in two, giving me access to the Father. But I sew it up again and again with my sin and fears and inability to be open and honest with God because of my wounds or being sinned against or whatever the reason. And tearing the veil again hurts. But the more I yearn to be close to God, the more I'm willing to allow Him to tear down the veil again, knowing He will be with me and will grant me the strength and grace to endure it.

That's only one among many lessons I have gleaned from this book - and I have read it many, many times, written notes in it, confessed my sins on its pages, and written down Prayers in it. For me, it has stood the test of time. ( )
2 vote Daisygirl_001 | Oct 26, 2017 |
God is in pursuit of you.

"The Pursuit of God" is the enduring Christian classic by renowned pastor and theologian A.W. Tozer. More than 65 years later, the words Tozer penned on a train from Illinois to Texas echo across the decades to resonate with power in the heart of anyone longing for a deeper experience with God.

This devotional masterpiece is at once thought-provoking and spirit-enlivening, an invitation to think deeply about your faith even as you come alive to God's presence surrounding, sustaining and pursuing you. "This book is a modest attempt," Tozer wrote, "to aid God's hungry children so to find Him." If you are hungry, "The Pursuit of God" will lead you to the only One who can satisfy the soul. ( )
  cdiemert | Jul 30, 2017 |
The is my favouraite book, my best book. God bless AWTozer
added by Dotun | editLA

My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. - Psalm 63:8
Christian theology teaches the doctrine of prevenient grace, which, briefly stated, means that before a man can seek God, God must first have sought the man.
Every age has its own characteristics. Right now we are in an age of religious complexity. The simplicity which is in Christ is rarely found among us. In its stead are programs, methods, organizations and a world of nervous activities which occupy time and attention but can never satisfy the longing of the heart. The shallowness of our inner experience, the hollowness of our worship and that servile imitation of the world which marks our promotional methods all testify that we, in this day, know God only imperfectly, and the peace of God scarcely at all.

Contents

7. The Gaze of the Soul

8. Restoring the Creator-Creature Relation

9. Meekness and Rest

10. The Sacrament of Living

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,658,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible