The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man:…

The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man: Devotional Readings (original 1957; edition 2002)

by A. W. Tozer, Edythe Draper (Compiler)

Member:cheesusofnazareth
Title:The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man: Devotional Readings
Authors:A. W. Tozer
Other authors:Edythe Draper (Compiler)
Info:Christian Publications (2002), Leather Bound, 496 pages
Tags:christian

The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer (1957)

non-fiction
Interest:
Objectionable:
Synopsis/Noteworthy:
  keithhamblen | Jun 24, 2016 |
Title: The Pursuit of God (Updated Edition)
Author: A. W. Tozer
Pages: 128
Year: 2015
Publisher: Aneko Press
My rating is 5 stars out of 5.
When I read the title and author, I was drawn back in my mind to the day I married my husband in a church. It was the very church where Tozer preached to people. There are other writings of Tozer that are also rich in teaching and if possible read about Tozer’s life. Tozer was a man who sought hard after God and in this book he challenges all to live a life fully and completely for God.
Some of the chapter themes were convicting as I read and realized God was speaking to my heart about where He is working. Other times I was challenged in my thoughts or comforted emotionally. There is always room for the believer to grow in becoming more Christ like and this book is one where words of exhortation are delivered without apology. Prayers are given to aid the person in asking for the Lord’s help, hand or voice.
Nothing replaces the Bible; however, there are authors who have written what God has laid on their heart to share with others in the hopes of drawing them near to Him. Tozer is one such author. The book was originally published in 1948 and some of the problems that we see in the Body needing to be addressed are addressed by the author. Draw near to the heart of the author as he points the reader to the heart and mind of our God!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Sep 6, 2015 |
Book Review (#9 of 2011)
The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer (free PDF). This book is shorter than a Kindle Single, but I will call it a "book" anyway. I was using it as part of a discipleship time with a younger guy who is going overseas this summer. I treated each chapter/essay as sort of a daily devotional and found it very convicting, uplifting, and humbling. (I used GoodReader on the iPad for this as it gives you plenty of options for note-taking, highlighting, etc.).

Tozer is a pastor writing in the 1940s. He applauds the church's return to Scripture but bemoans the unintended side-effects:

"Thanks to our splendid Bible societies and to other effective agencies for the dissemination of the Word, there are today many millions of people who hold 'right opinions,' probably more than ever before in the history of the Church. Yet I wonder if there was ever a time when true spiritual worship was at a lower ebb. To great sections of the Church the art of worship has been lost entirely, and in its place has come that strange and foreign thing called the “program.” This word has been borrowed from the stage and applied with sad wisdom to the type of public service which now passes for worship among us."

Worship and Spirit-filled living are more than preaching and learning, it's about seeking God in all we do:

"How tragic that we in this dark day have had our seeking done for us by our teachers. Everything is made to center upon the initial act of “accepting” Christ (a term, incidentally, which is not found in the Bible) and we are not expected thereafter to crave any further revelation of God to our souls. We have been snared in the coils of a spurious logic whcih insists that if we have found Him we need no more seek Him."

Tozer's words on humility, meekness, holding possessions loosely, and emphasizing the emotional aspects of worship (as opposed to purely mental) were very timely for me. He closes each chapter with a very tough prayer. For example:

"Be Thou exalted over my reputation. Make me ambitious to please Thee even if as a result I must sink into obscurity and my name be forgotten as a dream."

His closing chapter is based on 1 Corinthians 10:31 and is aimed at the false dichotomy of secular and sacred. This is a very key point for those involved in a "business as missions" mindset. Whatever we do, wherever we work, whatever task we're assigned, we can worship as we do it. Work is worship. Some jobs are not as important as others, and we're not all equals in the tasks, but all jobs (and meals, and commutes, and diaper changes, and breaths, etc.) can be worship. I love how Tozer puts it:

"Paul's sewing of tents was not equal to his writing an Epistle to the Romans, but both were accepted of God and both were true acts of worship. Certainly it is more important to lead a soul to Christ than to plant a garden, but the planting of the garden can be as holy an act as the winning of a soul."

The “layman” need never think of his humbler task as being inferior to that of his minister. Let every man abide in the calling wherein he is called and his work will be as sacred as the work of the ministry.

His closing prayer:

"I want to live so fully in the Spirit that all my thought may be as sweet incense ascending to Thee and every act of my life may be an act of worship."

5 stars out of 5. ( )
  justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
“O taste and see that the Lord is good.”

This book was given to me by a friend, and I was immediately drawn to the title. I feel like much of my life is a pursuit of God. But the theme wasn’t quite what I expected.

The author assumes that, in our pursuit of God, we have already found him, and discovered him to be a person–a person who thinks, wills, enjoys, feels, loves, desires and suffers like all of us. But having found God, we are in danger of falling into the trap of thinking we need no longer seek him.

Tozer points out that for millions of Christians, God is no more real than he is to the non-Christian. They do not know him personally, but go through life trying to love an ideal. The book reads like a sermon trying to bring us back to Jesus.

So while there were many parts that I could no longer connect with, having outgrown a conservative belief system, it nevertheless appealed to me. It appealed because it put me effortlessly back in a comfort zone. I felt like I was back in church. Tozer’s “sermon” is mesmerizing, hypnotizing, intoxicating, just as good religion should be. Or, if you’re not so fond of church, it will lull you to sleep.

Create Space, © 2013, 76 pages

ISBN: 978-1484076439 ( )
  DubiousDisciple | Jan 17, 2015 |
The is my favouraite book, my best book. God bless AWTozer
added by Dotun | editLA

My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. - Psalm 63:8
Christian theology teaches the doctrine of prevenient grace, which, briefly stated, means that before a man can seek God, God must first have sought the man.

Contents

7. The Gaze of the Soul

8. Restoring the Creator-Creature Relation

9. Meekness and Rest

10. The Sacrament of Living

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,835,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible