The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man:…

The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man: Devotional Readings (original 1957; edition 2002)

by A. W. Tozer, Edythe Draper (Compiler)

Member:cheesusofnazareth
Title:The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man: Devotional Readings
Authors:A. W. Tozer
Other authors:Edythe Draper (Compiler)
Info:Christian Publications (2002), Leather Bound, 496 pages
Tags:christian

The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer (1957)

This was a May re-read. Tozer is an incredibly rich writer which defies easy categorization. Your everyday evangelical, fundamentalist mystic radio-preacher from a few decades back. So much here that is worth digesting slowly. With as much as I read, it is sometimes daunting dipping back to old favorites. Will they hold up? Will they be good as I remember them? In this case, just rewards--Tozer is the real deal. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Notes for a longer review:

- Underwhelming.
- Very much the "christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship" kind of approach. Touchy-feely, big on the Heart and Personal Revelation, but not so much on rigorous thinking and epistemology. Tozer deals in opinions, subjective truths, tries to avoid saying things that can be pinned down and considered carefully. The goal is not to present a coherent system of thought/belief, but to bemoan the loss of True Christianity, of the Simpler Days, of the easy black-and-white worldviews that the author imagines were real at some unspecified point in the past.
- disparages both sceptics and theologians, those who have a more intellectual approach to the christian faith than the emotional one Tozer favours
- reason, thinking, etc. can be discarded in favour of emotions, gut-feeling and personal revelation.
- the vast majority of christians are Doing It Rong. But not Tozer. He's Doing It Rite.
- promotes self-mortification, denying the self. Only valid if you agree with the presupposition that anything that doesn't serve god is ipso facto selfish and sinful. If I agreed with that, I'd already be a christian
- In favour of things that feel poetically true, can be formulated in rhetorically satisfactory ways (echoing new testament verbiage), as opposed to things that can be demonstrated to be true.
- when Tozer briefly chooses to acknowledge the conflicts between scientific accounts and his religious preferences, he throws an Argument from Ignorance and other fallacies at us (e.g. false equivalence) and considers that a Job Well Done. ( )
  Petroglyph | Apr 11, 2017 |
A.W. Tozer’s The Pursuit of God is a spiritual classic that deserves to be read repeatedly. Tozer’s writing reflects the fire and vitality found in his recorded sermons, a fire and vitality that come from a life that is God-ward in its orientation.

In ten shorts chapters Tozer distills the biblical truths surrounding our lifelong pursuit of God as believers. In these chapters Tozer speaks to realities that were and are distant realities in American evangelicalism. As Tozer states, “We are overrun today with orthodox scribes, but the prophets, where are they? The hard voice of the scribe sounds over evangelicalism, but the church waits for the tender voice of the saint who has penetrated the veil and has gazed with inward eye upon the wonder that is God (p. 49).” Tozer’s observations about evangelicalism are still true today, reading it one would think Tozer was writing about the current state of Christianity in America rather than the late 1940s.

Tozer was one of the spiritual giants of his day and had an insight into the spiritual conditions of the church. Of his published works this might be one of the most important in my opinion. I have listened to Tozer’s recorded sermons since my college days and have always found him to have a balance and insight that makes him worth listening to and reading. Tozer’s hope for the Church in writing this book is that it would awaken it from the slumber which is so evident. Read Tozer and you will see the heart of one who has penetrated the veil in his pursuit of God.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book from the publisher for the purpose of reviewing it. The opinions I have expressed are my own, and I was not required to write a positive review. ( )
1 vote stevodresen | Mar 3, 2017 |
Interest:
Objectionable:
Synopsis/Noteworthy:
  keithhamblen | Jun 24, 2016 |
The is my favouraite book, my best book. God bless AWTozer
added by Dotun | editLA

My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. - Psalm 63:8
Christian theology teaches the doctrine of prevenient grace, which, briefly stated, means that before a man can seek God, God must first have sought the man.

Contents

8. Restoring the Creator-Creature Relation

9. Meekness and Rest

10. The Sacrament of Living

155 wanted3 free1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,441,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible