The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man:…

The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man: Devotional Readings (original 1957; edition 2002)

by A. W. Tozer, Edythe Draper (Compiler)

Member:cheesusofnazareth
Title:The Pursuit of God/The Pursuit of Man: Devotional Readings
Authors:A. W. Tozer
Other authors:Edythe Draper (Compiler)
Info:Christian Publications (2002), Leather Bound, 496 pages
Tags:christian

The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer (1957)

“O taste and see that the Lord is good.”

This book was given to me by a friend, and I was immediately drawn to the title. I feel like much of my life is a pursuit of God. But the theme wasn’t quite what I expected.

The author assumes that, in our pursuit of God, we have already found him, and discovered him to be a person–a person who thinks, wills, enjoys, feels, loves, desires and suffers like all of us. But having found God, we are in danger of falling into the trap of thinking we need no longer seek him.

Tozer points out that for millions of Christians, God is no more real than he is to the non-Christian. They do not know him personally, but go through life trying to love an ideal. The book reads like a sermon trying to bring us back to Jesus.

So while there were many parts that I could no longer connect with, having outgrown a conservative belief system, it nevertheless appealed to me. It appealed because it put me effortlessly back in a comfort zone. I felt like I was back in church. Tozer’s “sermon” is mesmerizing, hypnotizing, intoxicating, just as good religion should be. Or, if you’re not so fond of church, it will lull you to sleep.

Create Space, © 2013, 76 pages

ISBN: 978-1484076439 ( )
  DubiousDisciple | Jan 17, 2015 |
This was one of those books that makes me hunger and thirst for more of God. I read it after reading "50 Characters Every Christian Should Know". The content was outstanding and prayer provoking. I would strongly recommend to a first time reader to acquire a printed version. The EBook allowed me the ability to save snippets and quotes and I have saved many. However, the source I acquired it from apparently made a dozen or more word errors in the OCR process. This at first appeared to me to be a manuscript error but as I reached the very last page it became obvious to me that it was a publication copy error. How can I complain when it was offered to me at no charge by the publisher,
However, it gets to you. I pray that the Holy Spirit will speak to you through it as abundantly as he does to me. ( )
  2400 | Apr 8, 2014 |
You can read my full review at Quieted Waters.

Where I praise J. I. Packer's Knowing God for its depth, clarity, and inspiration, I enjoyed A. W. Tozer's The Pursuit of God for its depth of passion that emphasizes the joy of seeking God Himself. Tozer writes from a charismatic background, and his enthusiastic love for God fills these pages. ( )
  QuietedWaters | May 22, 2013 |
Located in Large Print Section.
  FentonUMC | Nov 13, 2012 |
The is my favouraite book, my best book. God bless AWTozer
added by Dotun | editLA

My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. - Psalm 63:8
Christian theology teaches the doctrine of prevenient grace, which, briefly stated, means that before a man can seek God, God must first have sought the man.

Contents

7. The Gaze of the Soul

8. Restoring the Creator-Creature Relation

9. Meekness and Rest

10. The Sacrament of Living

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,175,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible