Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver

Animal Dreams (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Barbara Kingsolver

4,400591,116 (4)103
Member:stlgal
Title:Animal Dreams
Authors:Barbara Kingsolver
Info:Harper Perennial (1991), Paperback, 352 pages

Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver (1990)

Codi returns to her hometown and has all the usual emotions and realizations. And she meets a hot Native American man who guides her spirit and has hot sex with her. And I believe she solves some sort of environmental mystery. Wish-fullfillment drek cloaked in "magical realism". Why was this assigned in high school? ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
good @ everything can't be your fault, Remembrance a reflection of the truth not it's ___

christinejoseph | Feb 24, 2016 |
Codi Nolina has returned to Grace, AZ to teach high school biology and keep an eye on her strong-willed father, Homer Nolina. Codi has spent her life drifting along, seeking a place to belong. She finished medical school, but not her internship. She has moved at the whim of her lover Carlo. And she has come to Grace expecting to leave in a year when her teaching contract has expired. Hallie, her sister, has just left for Nicaragua to work helping poor farmers with more efficient farming. Hallie is energized by life and lives it to the fullest. And Codi feels even more adrift due to the physical distance between herself and her sister. What Codi did not expect was to reconnect with her high school lover Loyd, a railroad man and half Apache/half Navaho.

Normally I am not a person who re-reads books. But this is the third time I have read this one and each time I feel it is new to me. I am drawn to Codi who feels she has no place to call home. I am drawn to Loyd and his close connection to the land. And I am drawn to the inhabitants of Grace, AZ. Probably I will read it again sometime. I feel the book is not finished with me. ( )
  punxsygal | Jan 16, 2016 |
Short stories from one of my favorite authors. I didn't like this as well as her novels. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
An excellent immersion into place and character. It explores the struggle of Codi to find a home and meaning to her life against the struggles of her father dealing with Alzheimer's and their home town's fight with the mining company. ( )
  snash | Sep 15, 2015 |
Barbara Kingsolver is one of an increasing number of American novelists who are trying to rewrite the political, cultural and spiritual relationships between our country's private and public spheres.

In memory of Ben Linder
His two girls are curled together like animals whose habit is to sleep underground, in the smallest space possible.

"Animals dream about the things they do in the day time just like people do. If you want sweet dreams, you've got to live a sweet life." So says Loyd Peregrina, a handsome Apache trainman and latter-day philosopher. But when Codi Noline returns to her hometown, Loyd's advice is painfully out of her reach. Dreamless and at the end of her rope, Codi comes back to Grace, Arizona to confront her past and face her ailing, distant father. What the finds is a town threatened by a silent environmental catastrophe, some startling clues to her own identity, and a man whose view of the world could change the course of her life. Blending flashbacks, dreams, and Native American legends, Animal Dreams is a suspenseful love story and a moving exploration of life's largest commitments. With this work, the acclaimed author of The Bean Trees and Homeland and Other Stories sustains her familiar voice while giving readers her most remarkable book yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

In this skillfully told novel by the author of The Bean Trees, a young woman returns to her hometown to care for her father and, without knowing it, herself. As usual, Codi is seeking to avoid life, but instead she finds plenty of it. She begins a complicated romance with a former boyfriend, corresponds with her sister, Hallie, who is kidnapped and then murdered in Nicaragua, tries to convince her father that his declining mental abilities are interfering with his work as a physician, and attempts to save the town from the evil Black Mountain Mining Company, which is poisoning the river and threatening the region's future. In alternating chapters, Kingsolver gives us Codi and her father, Homer, adroitly melding two viewpoints of one history. The book's southwestern setting proves particularly evocative: lush hot springs, dramatic vistas, and ancient pueblos are ideal envelopes for characters in deep introspection or loving embrace. The mixed Anglo and native American culture is equally colorful and unusually well developed. It's hard to find fault with this book--it manages to push all our emotional buttons without sacrificing fine craftsmanship.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,787,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible