Fortune's Fool by Mercedes Lackey

Fortune's Fool (2007)

by Mercedes Lackey

Series: Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms (3)

English (27)  German (1)  All languages (28)
3.25 stars

Katya is a sea princess, daughter of the Sea King. Sasha is the 7th son of the leader of a land kingdom; he is a fool and a songweaver. After a little romance between them, Katya is called away to save some kidnapped girls, and Sasha later comes to find Katya.

I mostly enjoyed this one, though I did lose interest at various intervals. I did like Katya – she is a strong character and a spy for her father. Parts of the book were from her point of view, while other parts were from Sasha’s. At the start, I enjoyed Katya’s POV more, but I was enjoying Sasha’s more in the second half of the book, as well. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 11, 2018 |
Enjoyable, though not so much as the first in the series. I liked the characters and the way the plot developed, but there were what seemed like a LOT of subplots... more than I think I would have preferred. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
I do like these tales. They'd be perfect for a young girl (say, ages 13-15) reading above her age level because the heroines are courageous and feminine (or tomboyish, as suits), the heroes are kind and masculine, the villains are treated with whatever respect is due them. In fact, the villains are rewarded with mercy - because the good guys are truly *good* and are so noble they deserve to win.

I also would have loved the romance in these as a young girl, as it would have taught me 'the birds and the bees' the way no clinical book, awkward parental monologue, or schoolyard gossip could have. It's passionate, stimulating, and true to honest love. And the couple will, of course, get married, but they'll live not happily ever after, but adventurously ever after.

There's plenty of humor, too. And the details of the world-building & rules of magic and the whole underlying force of The Tradition are marvelously done. Lackey includes important tropes and motifs, but never stoops to cliches. Well-done. May she magically become immortal and write a book this creative and satisfying for every one of the Five Hundred Kingdoms. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Cute and fluffy. I have noticed, she seems to make up plots as she goes along. But, not a lot of brain required, enjoyable, no big surprises here.
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perret, PattiPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Larry: Because he makes me laugh.
Shafts of golden light pierced the green twilight, penetrating the waving fronds of the forest to leave pools of light on the ground.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802730, Mass Market Paperback)

The seventh daughter of the Sea King, Ekaterina is more than a pampered princess—she's also the family spy. Which makes her the perfect emissary to check out interesting happenings in the neighboring kingdom…and nothing interests her more than Sasha, the seventh son of the king of Belrus. Ekaterina suspects he's far from the fool people think him. But before she can find out what lies beneath his facade, she is kidnapped!

Trapped in a castle at the mercy of a possessive Jinn, Ekaterina knows her chances of being found are slim. Now fortune, a fool and a paper bird are the only things she can count on—along with her own clever mind and intrepid heart.…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

As the seventh daughter of the Sea King, Ekaterina has a wonderful life - but also a lot of responsibility. Her special gift for moving around on land made her the perfect emissary from her father to check out interesting happenings on the surface. In short, she becam the family spy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,737,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible