Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Anna Karenina (1877)

by Leo Tolstoy

23,132None47 (4.16)5 / 1336
1001 (118) 1001 books (112) 19th century (582) adultery (279) classic (1,034) classic fiction (103) Classic Literature (128) classics (893) ebook (96) fiction (2,762) historical fiction (110) Kindle (113) Leo Tolstoy (81) literature (716) love (193) marriage (143) novel (590) own (156) read (221) romance (204) Russia (1,036) Russian (955) Russian fiction (133) Russian literature (1,121) suicide (156) to-read (397) Tolstoy (203) tragedy (131) translation (144) unread (253)
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Booksloth, luzestrella)
    luzestrella: when I got to the middle of the book I was shocked. It seens like the climax of all the main conclicts were already there. Why didn't the author cut the novel right there with that happy ending? Unnusual for a ficcion novel indeep. But for that particular reason, for me it has it's charm. The other half of the novel goes on describing what happened with the characters after they got what they wanted.… (more)
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (roby72)
    The Princesse de Cleves by Madame de La Fayette (andejons)
    andejons: Similar premises: married, upper class women fall in love with men of less than perfect moral standing. The outcomes are very different though.
    The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (roby72)
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (pingdjip)
    pingdjip: Like Tolstoy, Faber goes under his characters' skin, ponders their social manoeuvering, and follows the pitfalls and triumphs of their lives. Difference: Faber is funny and sometimes provocative and teasing in a "postmodern" way.
    Emma by Jane Austen (roby72)
    What Happened to Anna K.: A Novel by Irina Reyn (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Irina Reyn updates the classic _Anna Karenina_ to the Russian diaspora of New York City.
    Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (Henrik_Madsen)
    Henrik_Madsen: To romaner af murstensstørrelse der analyserer og beskriver overklassefamiliernes komplicerede liv.
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (alalba)
    La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas (alalba)
    Eirelan by Liam O'Shiel (allthesepieces)
    allthesepieces: Both books build complex stories that delve into the nature of loyalty in relationships.
    The Maias by Eca de Queiros (Anonymous user)
    Eine Frage der Schuld: Roman - Mit der «Kurzen Autobiographie der Gräfin S. A. Tolstaja»: Anläßlich der "Kreutzersonate" von Lew Tolstoi. Mit einem Nachwort von Ursula Keller by Sofja Tolstaja (Monika_L)

English (353)  Italian (8)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (381)
I read the Barnes & Noble "abridged edition". Judge me if you will, but,this is one of those books that it's impossible to evaluate on its own terms. I think I liked it, but a voice nags at me: would any of that positivity remain if it had been unceremoniously plopped onto my desk with no context, without endorsements of it’s Greatest of Great Novels, and it's Greatest of Great Authors?

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
I found the best advice in Amazon reviewer Toniann Scime: “In other words, if you begin "Anna Karenina" and you are not immediately swept up into the story, with its many characters, family tensions, and ornate depiction of Russian society on many levels... If you are ten chapters in and going forward on pure stubbornness... Put the book down. Walk away. This is not for you.” ( )
  juliettehendrikx | Mar 26, 2014 |
Sometimes I had a feeling that I was reading about myself... Brilliant book, just brilliant. ( )
  Lui1313 | Mar 14, 2014 |
It's a wonderful book, if you can power through it. I read this for pleasure and nothing more and it took some perseverance on my part. For starters, the names are tricky, to say the least. And Tolstoy is ever so descriptive. But, if you're willing, it is a great book and I highly recommend it. The Kiera Knightly movie version, not so much. She's great, but the movie itself....eh. ( )
  mlyons1 | Feb 12, 2014 |
I hardly know what I think about Anna Karenina yet: I finished it feeling fairly puzzled about the relationship of parts to whole, though I'm pretty sure overall it has something to do with the meaning of life. And death. And suffering. And vanity. And love. When I've got my thoughts somewhat sorted, I'll write something up at Novel Readings.

Update: here's a start, some thoughts on Anna.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
Each time I reread Anna Karenina, picking my way past the attics and cellars and rusting machinery of Tolstoy's obsessions and prejudices, a new layer of his craft emerges, to the point where, for all my admiration of Joyce, Beckett and Kelman, I begin to question whether the novel form isn't too artisanal a medium for the surface experimentation of the modernist project ever to transcend the flexing of space and time that apparently conventional language can achieve in the hands of a master.

Tolstoy, Leoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roseen, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Troyat, HenriIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volohonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vengeance is mine; I will repay. ~ Deuteronomy 32:35
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (C. Garnett, 1946) and (J. Carmichael, 1960)
Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему. Всё смешалось в доме Облонских.
All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
All happy families resemble one another, every unhappy family is unhappy after its own fashion. (N. H. Dole, 1886)
All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (Pevear, Volokhonsky, 2000)
"Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be." [Anna, p744 (2000)]
"He has long ceased loving me. And where love stops, hatred begins." [Anna, p763 (2000)]
Every minute of Alexei Alexandrovich's life was occupied and scheduled. And in order to have time to do what he had to do each day, he held to the strictest punctuality. 'Without haste and without rest' was his motto. [p109 (2000)]
Every man, knowing to the smallest detail all the complexity of the conditions surrounding him, involuntarily assumes that the complexity of these conditions and the difficulty of comprehending them are only his personal, accidental peculiarity, and never thinks that others are surrounded by the same complexity as he is. [p302 (2000)]
Vronsky meanwhile, despite the full realization of what he had desired for so long, was not fully happy. He soon felt that the realization of his desire had given him only a grain of the mountain of happiness he had expected. It showed him the the eternal error people make in imagining that happiness is the realization of desires. [...] He soon felt arise in his soul a desire for desires, an anguish. [p465 (2000)]
This is the work for the complete Anna Karenina. Please do not combine with any of the works representing the individual volumes (see combination rules regarding part/whole issues for details), or with abridged versions. Thank you.

The original Russian title was “Анна Каренина”.

Please keep the Norton Critical Edition books un-combined with the rest of them - it is significantly different with thorough explanatory annotations, essays by other authors, and reviews by other authors. Thank you.
This is the work of Leo Tolstoy, not Henri Troyat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143035002, Paperback)

Some people say Anna Karenina is the single greatest novel ever written, which makes about as much sense to me as trying to determine the world's greatest color. But there is no doubt that Anna Karenina, generally considered Tolstoy's best book, is definitely one ripping great read. Anna, miserable in her loveless marriage, does the barely thinkable and succumbs to her desires for the dashing Vronsky. I don't want to give away the ending, but I will say that 19th-century Russia doesn't take well to that sort of thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:46 -0400)

Anna Karenina tells of the doomed love affair between the sensuous and rebellious Anna and the dashing officer, Count Vronsky. Tragedy unfolds as Anna rejects her passionless marriage and must endure the hypocrisies of society. Set against a vast and richly textured canvas of nineteenth-century Russia, the novel's seven major characters create a dynamic imbalance, playing out the contrasts of city and country life and all the variations on love and family happiness. While previous versions have softened the robust, and sometimes shocking, quality of Tolstoy's writing, Pevear and Volokhonsky have produced a translation true to his powerful voice. This award-winning team's authoritative edition also includes an illuminating introduction and explanatory notes. Beautiful, vigorous, and eminently readable, this Anna Karenina will be the definitive text for generations to come.… (more)

5 2011

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528611, 0140449175, 0141194324, 0141391898

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible