dismiss

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Anna Karenina (1877)

by Leo Tolstoy

30,79652455 (4.15)7 / 1569
Anna Karenina tells of the doomed love affair between the sensuous and rebellious Anna and the dashing officer, Count Vronsky. Tragedy unfolds as Anna rejects her passionless marriage and must endure the hypocrisies of society. Set against a vast and richly textured canvas of nineteenth-century Russia, the novel's seven major characters create a dynamic imbalance, playing out the contrasts of city and country life and all the variations on love and family happiness. While previous versions have softened the robust, and sometimes shocking, quality of Tolstoy's writing, Pevear and Volokhonsky have produced a translation true to his powerful voice. This award-winning team's authoritative edition also includes an illuminating introduction and explanatory notes. Beautiful, vigorous, and eminently readable, this Anna Karenina will be the definitive text for generations to come.… (more)
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (roby72)
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (Booksloth, luzestrella)
    luzestrella: when I got to the middle of the book I was shocked. It seens like the climax of all the main conclicts were already there. Why didn't the author cut the novel right there with that happy ending? Unnusual for a ficcion novel indeep. But for that particular reason, for me it has it's charm. The other half of the novel goes on describing what happened with the characters after they got what they wanted.… (more)
    The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (roby72)
    The Princesse de Clèves by Madame de La Fayette (andejons)
    andejons: Similar premises: married, upper class women fall in love with men of less than perfect moral standing. The outcomes are very different though.
    Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (Henrik_Madsen)
    Henrik_Madsen: To romaner af murstensstørrelse der analyserer og beskriver overklassefamiliernes komplicerede liv.
    The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (pingdjip)
    pingdjip: Like Tolstoy, Faber goes under his characters' skin, ponders their social manoeuvering, and follows the pitfalls and triumphs of their lives. Difference: Faber is funny and sometimes provocative and teasing in a "postmodern" way.
    La Regenta by Leopoldo Alas (alalba)
    Emma by Jane Austen (roby72)
    What Happened to Anna K.: A Novel by Irina Reyn (sparemethecensor)
    sparemethecensor: Irina Reyn updates the classic _Anna Karenina_ to the Russian diaspora of New York City.
    Eirelan by Liam O'Shiel (snarkhunting)
    snarkhunting: Both books build complex stories that delve into the nature of loyalty in relationships.
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being: A Novel by Milan Kundera (alalba)
    Een zuivere liefde by Sofja Tolstaja (Monika_L)
    The Maias by Eca de Queiros (Anonymous user)
    A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (uri-starkey)
Read (10)

English (481)  Italian (11)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Czech (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (523)
I overall enjoyed this, but I can't quite put my feelings into words. I read the first 250 pages physically and had quite a good time, then I switched to the audiobook for the sake of making more progress, and that might have contributed to my insecurity with regards to how I feel about this overall. I swtiched back to physical reading for the last 60 pages in the hopes this might make my feelings clearer, but clearly that didn't work.

Some thoughts:
- I don't think I actually liked any of the characters and could only relate to their actions from time to time.
- I recently read a book dealing with the Russian revolution that went quite a bit into why the revolution came about and it was so interesting to see that the things which were criticized by the lower classes were definitely the case and the upper classes saw no problems with it (Stiva was a prime example).
- I don't really understand why Anna didn't like her husband? Apart from him being quite a few years older than her, he seemed alright. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
i think this one is going to take a while to get thru. havent gotten far enough to say much else.
  aabtzu | May 18, 2020 |
I'm reading this for a buddy read and we're about to start discussing part I and II. I'm already reading part VII, so I'm way ahead, but thus far I am not inclined to throw it about, or stop reading.

What I like about the book is the way the people, situations and the environment (both nature and political) are described. Having said that.... Sometimes it gets too much, when the subject is AGAIN the peasants, or Anna AGAIN gets a fit when Vronsky leaves her to go to.... (not important where).

I must admit, that I've switched to the English audiobook. I've read the first two parts in Russian, things went well and at quite a reasonable pace. But... when I also want to do something simultaneously (household chores, embroidery etc.) I can't hold a book.
--------------------------------------------------​
And now I've finished reading. And fel a bit... what shal I call it..... empty, dispappointed, not sure how to describe it.
My general liking of the book hasn't changed, but... And it's quite a large but. The reasons for that are multiple.
First of all, the book is too much a soap story for my liking. A sort of Dynasty in the 19th century.
Then the title: Anna is one of the characters in the book, most certainly, but why name the book after her, when her role is not much bigger than for example Kitty's?
The political and economical discourses are sometimes too long. They may be interesting, but not really for me, not at this point. For the buddyread of this book we had Oprah's list of questions and they guided me a bit, but they also made me feel like reading the book as 'homework'.
And last: I knew what would happen to Anna at the end when I started out reading the book. During university years we read bits and peaces of this book, matching the lectures that were given. But after reading the whole of the book, leading up to that point, I couldn't help myself but ask 'Why, in heaven's name, why?'
And the story continuing afterward (not Vronsky, but the story), like nothing really happened, gossip etc., but it felt to me like going back to business as usual.

Well, another ticked off of the 1001-list! On to another (one by Tolstoy again)? ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 14, 2020 |
I would consider War and Peace the greater novel, but gosh, isn't this a fantastic piece of work? What author so successfully places us inside the head of each of its characters, moving them forward with an unrelenting pace while also tying them so closely to the fortunes of their nation? Wondrous. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
I believe that translation has a major impact on how we read classics. So, I chose to read parts from the Garnett, the Pevear & Volokhousky, and the Bartlett translations. I was surprised to find that the one I liked most was the 2014 translation by Rosamund Barlett. I had been wanting to read this book for many, many years. What a joy to have finally done it! ( )
  myra.reads | Apr 23, 2020 |
De nieuwe vertaling van Anna Karenina leest als een trein, dankzij allerlei knappe vondsten van vertaler Hans Boland.

Tolstoy, LeoAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Troyat, HenriIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volohonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zinovieff, KyrilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vengeance is mine; I will repay. ~ Deuteronomy 32:35
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (C. Garnett, 1946) and (J. Carmichael, 1960)
Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему. Всё смешалось в доме Облонских.
All happy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
All happy families resemble one another, every unhappy family is unhappy after its own fashion. (N. H. Dole, 1886)
All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. (Pevear, Volokhonsky, 2000)
"Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be." [Anna, p744 (2000)]
"He has long ceased loving me. And where love stops, hatred begins." [Anna, p763 (2000)]
Every minute of Alexei Alexandrovich's life was occupied and scheduled. And in order to have time to do what he had to do each day, he held to the strictest punctuality. 'Without haste and without rest' was his motto. [p109 (2000)]
Every man, knowing to the smallest detail all the complexity of the conditions surrounding him, involuntarily assumes that the complexity of these conditions and the difficulty of comprehending them are only his personal, accidental peculiarity, and never thinks that others are surrounded by the same complexity as he is. [p302 (2000)]
Vronsky meanwhile, despite the full realization of what he had desired for so long, was not fully happy. He soon felt that the realization of his desire had given him only a grain of the mountain of happiness he had expected. It showed him the the eternal error people make in imagining that happiness is the realization of desires. [...] He soon felt arise in his soul a desire for desires, an anguish. [p465 (2000)]
This is the work for the complete Anna Karenina. Please do not combine with any of the works representing the individual volumes (see combination rules regarding part/whole issues for details), or with abridged versions. Thank you.

Please keep the Norton Critical Edition un-combined with the rest of them – it is significantly different with thorough explanatory annotations, essays by other authors, and reviews by other authors. Thank you.

Wikipedia: Anna Karenina (Russian: «Анна Каренина», IPA: [ˈanːə kɐˈrʲenʲɪnə])[1] is a novel by the Russian author Leo Tolstoy, first published in book form in 1878. Many writers consider Anna Karenina the greatest work of literature ever,[2] and Tolstoy himself called it his first true novel. It was initially released in serial installments from 1873 to 1877 in the periodical The Russian Messenger.

A complex novel in eight parts, with more than a dozen major characters, it is spread over more than 800 pages (depending on the translation and publisher), typically contained in two volumes. It deals with themes of betrayal, faith, family, marriage, Imperial Russian society, desire, and rural vs. city life. The plot centers on an extramarital affair between Anna and dashing cavalry officer Count Alexei Kirillovich Vronsky that scandalizes the social circles of Saint Petersburg and forces the young lovers to flee to Italy in a search for happiness. Returning to Russia, their lives further unravel.

Trains are a recurring motif throughout the novel, which takes place against the backdrop of rapid transformations as a result of the liberal reforms initiated by Emperor Alexander II of Russia, with several major plot points taking place either on passenger trains or at stations in Saint Petersburg or elsewhere in Russia. The novel has been adapted into various media including theatre, opera, film, television, ballet, figure skating and radio drama. The first of many film adaptations was released in 1911 but has not survived.
The moral of this:
Adultery drives one mad.
And watch out for trains.
(hillaryrose7)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528611, 0140449175, 0141194324, 0141391898

The Planet

An edition of this book was published by The Planet.

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,606,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible